host.donotremove - Aix

This is a discussion on host.donotremove - Aix ; Hi All, There is a file with name "host.donotremove" present in the /etc directoy of AIX 4.1.5, what is the purpose of that file. I have looked at the resources availabel to me but do not find any reference for ...

  1. host.donotremove

    Hi All,

    There is a file with name "host.donotremove" present in the /etc
    directoy of AIX 4.1.5, what is the purpose of that file.

    I have looked at the resources availabel to me but do not find any
    reference for the same.

    Regards,
    nurxb01

  2. Re: host.donotremove

    On Oct 4, 3:16 am, nurx...@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > There is a file with name "host.donotremove" present in the /etc
    > directoy of AIX 4.1.5, what is the purpose of that file.
    >
    > I have looked at the resources availabel to me but do not find any
    > reference for the same.
    >
    > Regards,
    > nurxb01

    AIX 4.1.5 is so old that whoever built and maintained that system is
    probably
    long gone. When I started working, many years ago in mainframe land,
    the system
    programmers (think sysadmins) at my first job realized that every copy
    they had of the
    boot volume contained a library called sys1.utvlib. Nothing in any IBM
    manuals
    mentioned it. It contained a few COBOL programs. After scratching
    their heads for weeks
    and worrying they finally remembered that a few years before they had
    had a co-op
    student working for them and his initials were UTV. He created a
    library file to store his
    homework in and just followed the apparent naming convention of all
    the other files
    on the volume. The moral of the story is just because a file is in a
    system location
    doesn't mean it has anything to do with the OS. Take a look at what's
    in the file. If you're
    feeling lucky just rm it.

    Regards,
    Jim Lane

  3. Re: host.donotremove

    yes aix 4.1.5 is awfully old system and not much information is
    availabale.

    The contains of the file are as follows
    ################ START ( not a part of file ) #############

    #
    # If the yellow pages is running, this file is only consulted when
    booting
    #
    # These lines added by the Suninstall Program
    #
    #
    # Ip addresses 127 is reserved for loopback
    127.0.0.1 localhost

    #
    # End of lines added by the Suninstall Program
    ################ END ( not a part of file ) #############

    Though i dare not to remove it but for now i'm taking the files as one
    of the not required files.
    Thanks for the idea of unnecessary system files.

  4. Re: host.donotremove

    On Oct 9, 7:30 am, nurx...@gmail.com wrote:
    > yes aix 4.1.5 is awfully old system and not much information is
    > availabale.
    >
    > The contains of the file are as follows
    > ################ START ( not a part of file ) #############
    >
    > #
    > # If the yellow pages is running, this file is only consulted when
    > booting
    > #
    > # These lines added by the Suninstall Program
    > #
    > #
    > # Ip addresses 127 is reserved for loopback
    > 127.0.0.1 localhost
    >
    > #
    > # End of lines added by the Suninstall Program
    > ################ END ( not a part of file ) #############
    >
    > Though i dare not to remove it but for now i'm taking the files as one
    > of the not required files.
    > Thanks for the idea of unnecessary system files.

    Given the content as posted this looks like a file that has something
    to do
    with NIS. Perhaps you could grep around in /etc to se if there is
    another file
    containing the same or similar content. I'm speculating that this is
    backup that somebody took way back when using an "imaginative" name.

    -Jim

+ Reply to Thread