HBA model 280B, Part No 80P4543 F/W upgrade on VIO server via HMC - Aix

This is a discussion on HBA model 280B, Part No 80P4543 F/W upgrade on VIO server via HMC - Aix ; Hi demigods Does anyone have any experience of upgrading the 2 gig fibre HBAs on a VIO server via the HMC that they would care to share with me? We have a problem with a DS4300, exp700 and exp810 which ...

  1. HBA model 280B, Part No 80P4543 F/W upgrade on VIO server via HMC

    Hi demigods
    Does anyone have any experience of upgrading the 2 gig fibre HBAs on a
    VIO server via the HMC that they would care to share with me?
    We have a problem with a DS4300, exp700 and exp810 which requires a
    firmware upgrade to resolve; however there is a prereq of the HBAs
    being upgraded prior to the SAN upgrade. The HBA firmware level is
    currently at TS1.90A4.
    I've searched the IBM documentation site, but I can't see that there's
    any way of doing this.
    We have 2 x VIO servers, 1 NIM server and 17 micro LPARs in a p570,
    running AIX5.3 up to ML5 and VIO at 1.3.0.1-FP-8.1.
    Do we have get the p570 down and bring it up in the system partition,
    or is there a concurrent methodology we could use?
    Any help appreciated.

    TIA - Ian

  2. Re: HBA model 280B, Part No 80P4543 F/W upgrade on VIO server via HMC

    On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 13:32:29 -0700, IanT wrote:

    > Hi demigods
    > Does anyone have any experience of upgrading the 2 gig fibre HBAs on a VIO
    > server via the HMC that they would care to share with me? We have a
    > problem with a DS4300, exp700 and exp810 which requires a firmware upgrade
    > to resolve; however there is a prereq of the HBAs being upgraded prior to
    > the SAN upgrade. The HBA firmware level is currently at TS1.90A4.
    > I've searched the IBM documentation site, but I can't see that there's any
    > way of doing this.
    > We have 2 x VIO servers, 1 NIM server and 17 micro LPARs in a p570,
    > running AIX5.3 up to ML5 and VIO at 1.3.0.1-FP-8.1. Do we have get the
    > p570 down and bring it up in the system partition, or is there a
    > concurrent methodology we could use? Any help appreciated.
    >
    > TIA - Ian

    If the VIO servers are fully redundant, I'd do it the old fashioned way.
    Login to the VIO server, install the microcode RPM file, and run 'diag' to
    download it into the adapter(s). You should be able to that while the VIO
    server stays on-line and then reboot them one by one. I've never done an
    adapter microcode upgrade from an HMC. I've only done chassis firmware
    that way...

    -Chris

  3. Re: HBA model 280B, Part No 80P4543 F/W upgrade on VIO server via HMC

    On Oct 1, 9:39 pm, Christopher Petersen software.com> wrote:
    > On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 13:32:29 -0700, IanT wrote:
    > > Hi demigods
    > > Does anyone have any experience of upgrading the 2 gig fibre HBAs on a VIO
    > > server via the HMC that they would care to share with me? We have a
    > > problem with a DS4300, exp700 and exp810 which requires a firmware upgrade
    > > to resolve; however there is a prereq of the HBAs being upgraded prior to
    > > the SAN upgrade. The HBA firmware level is currently at TS1.90A4.
    > > I've searched the IBM documentation site, but I can't see that there's any
    > > way of doing this.
    > > We have 2 x VIO servers, 1 NIM server and 17 micro LPARs in a p570,
    > > running AIX5.3 up to ML5 and VIO at 1.3.0.1-FP-8.1. Do we have get the
    > > p570 down and bring it up in the system partition, or is there a
    > > concurrent methodology we could use? Any help appreciated.

    > > TIA - Ian

    > If the VIO servers are fully redundant, I'd do it the old fashioned way.
    > Login to the VIO server, install the microcode RPM file, and run 'diag' to
    > download it into the adapter(s). You should be able to that while the VIO
    > server stays on-line and then reboot them one by one. I've never done an
    > adapter microcode upgrade from an HMC. I've only done chassis firmware
    > that way...
    >
    > -Chris

    Don't over complicate it:

    Info on updating hba firmware: