"as" command on AIX 4.3.3 - Aix

This is a discussion on "as" command on AIX 4.3.3 - Aix ; Hi forum, I've just installa AIX 4.3.3 in a vintage 7248-100 box, I install last ptfs without problem. I install some gnu command without error. Now I would like to compile PostgreSQL 8.2.5... but when I use ./ compile the ...

  1. "as" command on AIX 4.3.3

    Hi forum,

    I've just installa AIX 4.3.3 in a vintage 7248-100 box, I install last
    ptfs without problem. I install some gnu command without error.

    Now I would like to compile PostgreSQL 8.2.5... but when I use ./
    compile the script end because it can't be able to fine "as" command.
    Assembler ? In other unix box (Linux, NetBSD, OpenBSD and Solaris) I
    find as command.

    Where is "as" command ?

    Regards.
    Ganimede Dignan.

  2. Re: "as" command on AIX 4.3.3

    Ganimede wrote:

    > Hi forum,
    >
    > I've just installa AIX 4.3.3 in a vintage 7248-100 box, I install last
    > ptfs without problem. I install some gnu command without error.
    >
    > Now I would like to compile PostgreSQL 8.2.5... but when I use ./
    > compile the script end because it can't be able to fine "as" command.
    > Assembler ? In other unix box (Linux, NetBSD, OpenBSD and Solaris) I
    > find as command.
    >
    > Where is "as" command ?
    >
    > Regards.
    > Ganimede Dignan.

    It is in the bos.adt.base fileset on the AIX install CDs.
    You will probably want most of the bos.adt.* filesets to
    get the include files and the bos.adt.libm fileset to get
    a library that most packages need to build from source.

    Paul Landay

  3. Re: "as" command on AIX 4.3.3

    Hi,

    > It is in the bos.adt.base fileset on the AIX install CDs.
    > You will probably want most of the bos.adt.* filesets to
    > get the include files and the bos.adt.libm fileset to get
    > a library that most packages need to build from source.

    Thank you, I've just install bos.adt.base and now I can run as command
    from my aix box.
    I re-try with ./configure but now end with other error:

    configure: error: neither atexit() nor on_exit() found

    So, I think that I must install bos.adt.* pkg. Is it OK ?
    bos.adt.libm is already installed.

    Regards.
    Ganimede Dignan.

  4. Re: "as" command on AIX 4.3.3

    Ganimede wrote:
    >>It is in the bos.adt.base fileset on the AIX install CDs.
    >>You will probably want most of the bos.adt.* filesets to
    >>get the include files and the bos.adt.libm fileset to get
    >>a library that most packages need to build from source.

    > Thank you, I've just install bos.adt.base and now I can
    > run as command from my aix box.
    > I re-try with ./configure but now end with other error:
    > configure: error: neither atexit() nor on_exit() found
    > So, I think that I must install bos.adt.* pkg. Is it OK ?
    > bos.adt.libm is already installed.

    It won't hurt to install additional bos.adt.* packages,
    but atexit() and on_exit() appear to be in /usr/lib/libc.a
    which is always installed in AIX as part of the bos.rte.libc
    package. I am not sure why ./configure is not finding it.
    Maybe the PostgreSQL package does not have AIX support?

    # lslpp -h bos.rte.libc
    # lslpp -f bos.rte.libc | grep libc
    # nm /usr/lib/libc.a | egrep 'atexit|on_exit'

    Paul Landay

  5. Re: "as" command on AIX 4.3.3

    Hi,

    > It won't hurt to install additional bos.adt.* packages,
    > but atexit() and on_exit() appear to be in /usr/lib/libc.a
    > which is always installed in AIX as part of the bos.rte.libc
    > package. I am not sure why ./configure is not finding it.

    Yesterday I install all bos.adt.* pkgs and now ./configure ends
    without
    error.

    > Maybe the PostgreSQL package does not have AIX support?

    No, PostgreSQL has got AIX support.

    I've just build PostgreSQL 8.2.5 from source. PostgreSQL runs fine on
    AIX
    but it's hard for me due into 1 GB hd with AIX 4.3.3 so I mount a nfs
    share
    from a Sun UltraSPARC 5 with Solaris.

    :-(

    Thank you for your help.