AIX 5.3 and auto_mount - Aix

This is a discussion on AIX 5.3 and auto_mount - Aix ; Greetings, I only dabble in AIX and usually do Solaris so forgive me if this is too elementary. On AIX we usually use really basic stuff no NIS. Anyway today I needed a loopback file system (where automount takes /export/apps/A ...

  1. AIX 5.3 and auto_mount

    Greetings,

    I only dabble in AIX and usually do Solaris so forgive me
    if this is too elementary.
    On AIX we usually use really basic stuff no NIS.
    Anyway today I needed a loopback file system (where
    automount takes /export/apps/A and mounts it on /apps/A so I go to /
    etc modify auto.master
    and in maps I create auto.apps but it does not work, what I am doing
    wrong.

    Mike

  2. Re: AIX 5.3 and auto_mount

    On Sep 27, 12:51 pm, "mike.sal...@gmail.com"
    wrote:
    > Greetings,
    >
    > I only dabble in AIX and usually do Solaris so forgive me
    > if this is too elementary.
    > On AIX we usually use really basic stuff no NIS.
    > Anyway today I needed a loopback file system (where
    > automount takes /export/apps/A and mounts it on /apps/A so I go to /
    > etc modify auto.master
    > and in maps I create auto.apps but it does not work, what I am doing
    > wrong.
    >
    > Mike

    Start with this URL:
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...us/nisplus.htm
    Jump to the section: "Managing NIS Automount Maps".
    Follow steps 1-5.

    I think that should be all you need. Don't worry about anything else
    on that page.

    Now, I also have a couple more notes from my installation. And I can't
    remember why I ran them. But here they are:
    mkdir /etc/nfs
    mkdir /usr/local/etc
    chnfsdom xxxxx (to whatever you want)

    I ran those after steps 1-5.

    Step 3a: should look like::
    all: all.time passwd group hosts ethers networks rpc services
    protocols \
    netgroup bootparams aliases publickey netid netmasks
    all.remove auto.master

    Step 3b: should look like:

    passwd: passwd.time
    group: group.time
    hosts: hosts.time
    ethers: ethers.time
    networks: networks.time
    rpc: rpc.time
    services: services.time
    protocols: protocols.time
    netgroup: netgroup.time
    bootparams: bootparams.time
    aliases: aliases.time
    publickey: publickey.time
    netid: netid.time
    netmasks: netmasks.time
    auto.master: auto.master.time
    $(DIR)/passwd:
    $(DIR)/security/passwd:
    $(DIR)/group:
    $(DIR)/hosts:
    $(DIR)/ethers:
    $(DIR)/networks:
    $(DIR)/rpc:
    $(DIR)/services:
    $(DIR)/protocols:
    $(DIR)/netgroup:
    $(DIR)/bootparams:
    $(DIR)/publickey:
    $(DIR)/netid:
    $(ALIASES):
    $(DIR)/netmasks:
    $(DIR)/auto.master:

    Step 3c: should look like:

    all.remove:
    -@rm all.time

    auto.master.time: $(DIR)/auto.master
    -@if [ -f $(DIR)/auto.master ] ; then \
    $(MAKEDBM) $(DIR)/auto.master $(YPDBDIR)/$(DOM)/
    auto.master; \
    touch auto.master.time ; \
    echo "updated auto.master" ; \
    if [ ! $(NOPUSH) ] ; then \
    $(YPPUSH) auto.master ; \
    echo "pushed auto.master" ; \
    else \
    : ; \
    fi \
    else \
    echo "couldn't find $(DIR)/auto.master" ; \
    fi

    passwd.time: $(DIR)/passwd $(DIR)/security/passwd

    In step 5: you may want to to run automount -v

    Miles

  3. Re: AIX 5.3 and auto_mount

    On Sep 27, 4:04 pm, miles wrote:
> [...]

    > > etc modify auto.master
    > > and in maps I create auto.apps but it does not work, what I am doing
    > > wrong.

    > > Mike

    > Start with this URL:http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...ndex.jsp?topic...
    > Jump to the section: "Managing NIS Automount Maps".
    > Follow steps 1-5.
    >
    > I think that should be all you need. Don't worry about anything else
    > on that page.
    >
    > Now, I also have a couple more notes from my installation. And I can't
    > remember why I ran them. But here they are:
    > mkdir /etc/nfs
    > mkdir /usr/local/etc
    > chnfsdom xxxxx (to whatever you want)
    >
    > I ran those after steps 1-5.
    >
    > Step 3a: should look like::
    > all: all.time passwd group hosts ethers networks rpc services
    > protocols \
    > netgroup bootparams aliases publickey netid netmasks
    > all.remove auto.master
    >
    > Step 3b: should look like:
    >
    > passwd: passwd.time
    > group: group.time
    > hosts: hosts.time
    > ethers: ethers.time
    > networks: networks.time
    > rpc: rpc.time
    > services: services.time
    > protocols: protocols.time
    > netgroup: netgroup.time
    > bootparams: bootparams.time
    > aliases: aliases.time
    > publickey: publickey.time
    > netid: netid.time
    > netmasks: netmasks.time
    > auto.master: auto.master.time
    > $(DIR)/passwd:
    > $(DIR)/security/passwd:
    > $(DIR)/group:
    > $(DIR)/hosts:
    > $(DIR)/ethers:
    > $(DIR)/networks:
    > $(DIR)/rpc:
    > $(DIR)/services:
    > $(DIR)/protocols:
    > $(DIR)/netgroup:
    > $(DIR)/bootparams:
    > $(DIR)/publickey:
    > $(DIR)/netid:
    > $(ALIASES):
    > $(DIR)/netmasks:
    > $(DIR)/auto.master:
    >

    > Step 3c: should look like:
    >

    > all.remove:
    > -@rm all.time
    >
    > auto.master.time: $(DIR)/auto.master
    > -@if [ -f $(DIR)/auto.master ] ; then \
    > $(MAKEDBM) $(DIR)/auto.master $(YPDBDIR)/$(DOM)/
    > auto.master; \
    > touch auto.master.time ; \
    > echo "updated auto.master" ; \
    > if [ ! $(NOPUSH) ] ; then \
    > $(YPPUSH) auto.master ; \
    > echo "pushed auto.master" ; \
    > else \
    > : ; \
    > fi \
    > else \
    > echo "couldn't find $(DIR)/auto.master" ; \
    > fi
    >
    > passwd.time: $(DIR)/passwd $(DIR)/security/passwd
    >

    > In step 5: you may want to to run automount -v

    Thanks, but if I do not want to have NIS, and only go based on /etc/
    auto.master and /etc/auto.apps what.

  4. Re: AIX 5.3 and auto_mount

    On Sep 27, 4:43 pm, "mike.sal...@gmail.com"
    wrote:
> [...]

    > > all.remove:
    > > -@rm all.time

    > > auto.master.time: $(DIR)/auto.master
    > > -@if [ -f $(DIR)/auto.master ] ; then \
    > > $(MAKEDBM) $(DIR)/auto.master $(YPDBDIR)/$(DOM)/
    > > auto.master; \
    > > touch auto.master.time ; \
    > > echo "updated auto.master" ; \
    > > if [ ! $(NOPUSH) ] ; then \
    > > $(YPPUSH) auto.master ; \
    > > echo "pushed auto.master" ; \
    > > else \
    > > : ; \
    > > fi \
    > > else \
    > > echo "couldn't find $(DIR)/auto.master" ; \
    > > fi

    > > passwd.time: $(DIR)/passwd $(DIR)/security/passwd
    > >

    > > In step 5: you may want to to run automount -v

    > > Miles

    > Thanks, but if I do not want to have NIS, and only go based on /etc/

    Yes, I know. I don't use NIS either. Those were the steps I followed.
    Miles

  5. Re: AIX 5.3 and auto_mount

    On Sep 28, 9:02 am, miles wrote:
> [...]

    > > > Start with this URL:http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...ndex.jsp?topic...
    > > > Jump to the section: "Managing NIS Automount Maps".
    > > > Follow steps 1-5.

    > > > I think that should be all you need. Don't worry about anything else
    > > > on that page.

    > > > Now, I also have a couple more notes from my installation. And I can't
    > > > remember why I ran them. But here they are:
    > > > mkdir /etc/nfs
    > > > mkdir /usr/local/etc
    > > > chnfsdom xxxxx (to whatever you want)

    > > > I ran those after steps 1-5.

    > > > Step 3a: should look like::
    > > > all: all.time passwd group hosts ethers networks rpc services
    > > > protocols \
    > > > netgroup bootparams aliases publickey netid netmasks
    > > > all.remove auto.master

    > > > Step 3b: should look like:
    > > >
    > > > passwd: passwd.time
    > > > group: group.time
    > > > hosts: hosts.time
    > > > ethers: ethers.time
    > > > networks: networks.time
    > > > rpc: rpc.time
    > > > services: services.time
    > > > protocols: protocols.time
    > > > netgroup: netgroup.time
    > > > bootparams: bootparams.time
    > > > aliases: aliases.time
    > > > publickey: publickey.time
    > > > netid: netid.time
    > > > netmasks: netmasks.time
    > > > auto.master: auto.master.time
    > > > $(DIR)/passwd:
    > > > $(DIR)/security/passwd:
    > > > $(DIR)/group:
    > > > $(DIR)/hosts:
    > > > $(DIR)/ethers:
    > > > $(DIR)/networks:
    > > > $(DIR)/rpc:
    > > > $(DIR)/services:
    > > > $(DIR)/protocols:
    > > > $(DIR)/netgroup:
    > > > $(DIR)/bootparams:
    > > > $(DIR)/publickey:
    > > > $(DIR)/netid:
    > > > $(ALIASES):
    > > > $(DIR)/netmasks:
    > > > $(DIR)/auto.master:

    > > > Step 3c: should look like:

    > > > all.remove:
    > > > -@rm all.time

    > > > auto.master.time: $(DIR)/auto.master
    > > > -@if [ -f $(DIR)/auto.master ] ; then \
    > > > $(MAKEDBM) $(DIR)/auto.master $(YPDBDIR)/$(DOM)/
    > > > auto.master; \
    > > > touch auto.master.time ; \
    > > > echo "updated auto.master" ; \
    > > > if [ ! $(NOPUSH) ] ; then \
    > > > $(YPPUSH) auto.master ; \
    > > > echo "pushed auto.master" ; \
    > > > else \
    > > > : ; \
    > > > fi \
    > > > else \
    > > > echo "couldn't find $(DIR)/auto.master" ; \
    > > > fi

    > > > passwd.time: $(DIR)/passwd $(DIR)/security/passwd
    > > >

    > > > In step 5: you may want to to run automount -v

    > > > Miles

    > > Thanks, but if I do not want to have NIS, and only go based on /etc/
    > > auto.master and /etc/auto.apps what.

    > Yes, I know. I don't use NIS either. Those were the steps I followed.

    Thanks I will try.

  6. Re: AIX 5.3 and auto_mount

    Hi

    So the point is to have a subdirectory mounted elsewhere as if it were an
    another filesystem ?

    Maybe there is no need for using automount, and the faster/simpler solution
    would be to mount it with the "-v namefs" option ?

    for example:

    "mount -v namefs /export/apps/A /apps/A"

    regards

    Pawel W.

  7. Re: AIX 5.3 and auto_mount

    On Sep 28, 1:38 pm, "pawelw" wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > So the point is to have a subdirectory mounted elsewhere as if it were an
    > another filesystem ?
    >
    > Maybe there is no need for using automount, and the faster/simpler solution
    > would be to mount it with the "-v namefs" option ?
    >
    > for example:
    >
    > "mount -v namefs /export/apps/A /apps/A"
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Pawel W.

    Well, even simpler is a symlink.

+ Reply to Thread