How to get a MAC address - Aix

This is a discussion on How to get a MAC address - Aix ; I have an IBM RS/6000 7043 43P model 140 running AIX 5.3. Can anyone tell me how to get it to tell me its MAC address? Thanks!...

  1. How to get a MAC address

    I have an IBM RS/6000 7043 43P model 140 running AIX 5.3. Can anyone
    tell me how to get it to tell me its MAC address?

    Thanks!

  2. Re: How to get a MAC address

    Dr. Richard Kopec wrote:
    > I have an IBM RS/6000 7043 43P model 140 running AIX 5.3.
    > Can anyone tell me how to get it to tell me its MAC address?
    > Thanks!

    Start with 'lsdev -C -c adapter | grep ent' to
    to see what ethernet adapters AIX recognizes.
    Then do 'lscfg -v -l ent0' (repeat for ent1,
    etc. if you have multiple adapters) to see
    what the burned-in MAC address is. Then do
    'lsattr -E -l ent0' to see if a locally administered
    address has been assigned to that adapter.

    If the adapter is in use (by tcp/ip or some
    other network protocol) you can also do
    'netstat -v ent0' to see the address that
    adapter presented to the switch/hub.

    Paul Landay

  3. Re: How to get a MAC address

    Paul Landay wrote:
    > Dr. Richard Kopec wrote:
    >> I have an IBM RS/6000 7043 43P model 140 running AIX 5.3.
    >> Can anyone tell me how to get it to tell me its MAC address?
    >> Thanks!

    > Start with 'lsdev -C -c adapter | grep ent' to
    > to see what ethernet adapters AIX recognizes.
    > Then do 'lscfg -v -l ent0' (repeat for ent1,
    > etc. if you have multiple adapters) to see
    > what the burned-in MAC address is. Then do
    > 'lsattr -E -l ent0' to see if a locally administered
    > address has been assigned to that adapter.
    >
    > If the adapter is in use (by tcp/ip or some
    > other network protocol) you can also do
    > 'netstat -v ent0' to see the address that
    > adapter presented to the switch/hub.
    >
    > Paul Landay

    Thanks!

  4. Re: How to get a MAC address

    Dr. Richard Kopec wrote:
    > I have an IBM RS/6000 7043 43P model 140 running AIX 5.3. Can anyone
    > tell me how to get it to tell me its MAC address?
    >
    > Thanks!

    ifconfig -a

  5. Re: How to get a MAC address

    Paul Landay wrote:
    > Dr. Richard Kopec wrote:
    >> I have an IBM RS/6000 7043 43P model 140 running AIX 5.3.
    >> Can anyone tell me how to get it to tell me its MAC address?
    >> Thanks!

    > Start with 'lsdev -C -c adapter | grep ent' to
    > to see what ethernet adapters AIX recognizes.
    > Then do 'lscfg -v -l ent0' (repeat for ent1,
    > etc. if you have multiple adapters) to see
    > what the burned-in MAC address is. Then do
    > 'lsattr -E -l ent0' to see if a locally administered
    > address has been assigned to that adapter.
    >
    > If the adapter is in use (by tcp/ip or some
    > other network protocol) you can also do
    > 'netstat -v ent0' to see the address that
    > adapter presented to the switch/hub.
    >
    > Paul Landay

    I think

    netstat -i

    is easiest

    Name Mtu Network Address Ipkts Ierrs Opkts Oerrs Coll
    en0 1500 link#2 0.4.ac.e4.96.f3 73596196 0 73672128 0
    0

+ Reply to Thread