Lotus Notes Server Console - Aix

This is a discussion on Lotus Notes Server Console - Aix ; I probably should ask this in a Lotus Notes group, but thought I'd take a shot here. Since Lotus Notes 4.x I've been using the "screen" utility to run a text based AIX Lotus Notes server console in the background ...

  1. Lotus Notes Server Console

    I probably should ask this in a Lotus Notes group, but thought I'd
    take a shot here.

    Since Lotus Notes 4.x I've been using the "screen" utility to run a
    text based AIX Lotus Notes server console in the background which has
    a couple of drawbacks.

    1. su from a user to the lotus notes server user, you can't access the
    existing screen session due to pty permissions that screen sets. You
    always have to login directly as the notes server user.

    2. I can't send a command to the screen session (i.e. quit) which I'd
    like to do via scripts.

    I'm sure there are ways around this (searching on a utility with a
    name like "screen" makes it somewhat challenging) but thought there
    was a similar "built-in" method to do this in notes version 6 and 7
    now.

    Anyone familiar with this?

  2. Re: Lotus Notes Server Console

    On Oct 2, 9:54 pm, Cydrome Leader wrote:
    > Scottz wrote:

    > > 1. su from a user to the lotus notes server user, you can't access the
    > > existing screen session due to pty permissions that screen sets. You
    > > always have to login directly as the notes server user.

    > this sounds weird. ARe you running latest screen version?

    Probably not - version 4.00.02 (FAU) 5-Dec-03
    This was a pre-compiled version off of the UCLA PDSLIB (now defunct)..
    I'll see if I can find what/where the latest is.

    I was mistaken in that it's screen setting the pty permission.
    If I login as myself and su - to another user (i.e. the one that
    started the screen session) my pty is still owned by my login userid.
    As the owner on the pty doesn't change to the user you su to, screen
    will exit with a "Cannot open your terminal '/dev/pts/0' - please
    check".

    > > 2. I can't send a command to the screen session (i.e. quit) which I'd
    > > like to do via scripts.

    > Why not?

    I wasn't clear on that one and using quit was a bad example.

    I need to send a command to a shell or application running in a screen
    session as if someone had attached to it and typed it. This needs to
    be done via a script running outside of a screen session.

    In this case, I need to send to the Lotus Notes Server running in a
    screen session it's Lotus Notes "quit" command so the application will
    gracefully shutdown.
    So it isn't specific screen commands themselves I'm after, but being
    able via script to send text to a screen session as if someone had
    attached to the session it and typed it in.

  3. Re: Lotus Notes Server Console

    Scottz wrote:
    > On Oct 2, 9:54 pm, Cydrome Leader wrote:
    >> Scottz wrote:

    >> > 1. su from a user to the lotus notes server user, you can't access the
    >> > existing screen session due to pty permissions that screen sets. You
    >> > always have to login directly as the notes server user.

    >> this sounds weird. ARe you running latest screen version?

    > Probably not - version 4.00.02 (FAU) 5-Dec-03
    > This was a pre-compiled version off of the UCLA PDSLIB (now defunct)..
    > I'll see if I can find what/where the latest is.
    >
    > I was mistaken in that it's screen setting the pty permission.
    > If I login as myself and su - to another user (i.e. the one that
    > started the screen session) my pty is still owned by my login userid.
    > As the owner on the pty doesn't change to the user you su to, screen
    > will exit with a "Cannot open your terminal '/dev/pts/0' - please
    > check".
    >
    >> > 2. I can't send a command to the screen session (i.e. quit) which I'd
    >> > like to do via scripts.

    >> Why not?

    > I wasn't clear on that one and using quit was a bad example.
    >
    > I need to send a command to a shell or application running in a screen
    > session as if someone had attached to it and typed it. This needs to
    > be done via a script running outside of a screen session.
    >
    > In this case, I need to send to the Lotus Notes Server running in a
    > screen session it's Lotus Notes "quit" command so the application will
    > gracefully shutdown.
    > So it isn't specific screen commands themselves I'm after, but being
    > able via script to send text to a screen session as if someone had
    > attached to the session it and typed it in.

    An expect script can probably do what you want. I can't really help past
    that though.

+ Reply to Thread