AIX Dropping Packets Network Woes - Aix

This is a discussion on AIX Dropping Packets Network Woes - Aix ; For some reason my AIX 5.3 system is dropping packets on its public interface and not the private. When pinging from the outside, its dropping packets in a pattern. Out of four packets, it always drops the first three. PING ...

  1. AIX Dropping Packets Network Woes

    For some reason my AIX 5.3 system is dropping packets on its public
    interface and not the private. When pinging from the outside, its
    dropping packets in a pattern. Out of four packets, it always drops
    the first three.

    PING xxxxxxxx (xxx.x.xx.xx) 56(84) bytes of data.
    64 bytes from xxx.x.xx.xx: icmp_seq=3 ttl=243 time=56.8 ms
    64 bytes from xxx.x.xx.xx: icmp_seq=7 ttl=243 time=57.8 ms
    64 bytes from xxx.x.xx.xx: icmp_seq=11 ttl=243 time=59.4 ms
    64 bytes from xxx.x.xx.xx: icmp_seq=15 ttl=243 time=56.1 ms
    64 bytes from xxx.x.xx.xx: icmp_seq=19 ttl=243 time=54.9 ms
    64 bytes from xxx.x.xx.xx: icmp_seq=23 ttl=243 time=56.1 ms

    24 packets transmitted, 6 received, 75% packet loss, time 23066ms

    Here is the output of netstat -p udp.

    udp:
    1110538 datagrams received
    0 incomplete headers
    0 bad data length fields
    0 bad checksums
    324 dropped due to no socket
    713584 broadcast/multicast datagrams dropped due to no socket
    0 socket buffer overflows
    396630 delivered
    399468 datagrams output

    I googled before posting and couldn't find the answer, if anybody can
    help me out, i'd appreciate it.

    Thanks in advance.

  2. Re: AIX Dropping Packets Network Woes

    technick wrote:
    > For some reason my AIX 5.3 system is dropping packets on its public
    > interface and not the private. When pinging from the outside, its
    > dropping packets in a pattern. Out of four packets, it always drops
    > the first three.
    >
    > PING xxxxxxxx (xxx.x.xx.xx) 56(84) bytes of data.
    > 64 bytes from xxx.x.xx.xx: icmp_seq=3 ttl=243 time=56.8 ms
    > 64 bytes from xxx.x.xx.xx: icmp_seq=7 ttl=243 time=57.8 ms
    > 64 bytes from xxx.x.xx.xx: icmp_seq=11 ttl=243 time=59.4 ms
    > 64 bytes from xxx.x.xx.xx: icmp_seq=15 ttl=243 time=56.1 ms
    > 64 bytes from xxx.x.xx.xx: icmp_seq=19 ttl=243 time=54.9 ms
    > 64 bytes from xxx.x.xx.xx: icmp_seq=23 ttl=243 time=56.1 ms
    >
    > 24 packets transmitted, 6 received, 75% packet loss, time 23066ms
    > rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 54.919/56.885/59.451/1.464 ms
    >
    > Here is the output of netstat -p udp.
    >
    > udp:
    > 1110538 datagrams received
    > 0 incomplete headers
    > 0 bad data length fields
    > 0 bad checksums
    > 324 dropped due to no socket
    > 713584 broadcast/multicast datagrams dropped due to no socket
    > 0 socket buffer overflows
    > 396630 delivered
    > 399468 datagrams output
    >
    > I googled before posting and couldn't find the answer, if anybody can
    > help me out, i'd appreciate it.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    I suspect misconfigured routing. check "netstat -rn" and do "route get
    " 4 times. check which route and
    interface is selected.

    jgann

  3. Re: AIX Dropping Packets Network Woes

    On 2007-09-23, Joachim Gann wrote:

    > technick wrote:

    >> 64 bytes from xxx.x.xx.xx: icmp_seq=23 ttl=243 time=56.1 ms

    ^^^^
    >> Here is the output of netstat -p udp.

    ^^^
    > I suspect misconfigured routing. check "netstat -rn" and do "route get
    >" 4 times. check which route and
    > interface is selected.

    Also, try netstat -p icmp to see if something useful comes up there.
    Pings use ICMP, not UDP.

    --
    Jurjen Oskam

    Savage's Law of Expediency:
    You want it bad, you'll get it bad.

  4. Re: AIX Dropping Packets Network Woes

    Also as a wag, check if you have valid default gateways with netstat -
    rn

    If you have two default gateways, try disabling one temporarily with a
    route delete default (insert ip address here) and try your ping.
    Add it back with route add default (ip address)

    *note: route command doesn't make a permanent change - reboot will
    bring it back.
    And obviously if your doing this remotely then only try removing the
    private one or else you'll knock yourself off the connection.

    We had issues with remote access trying to route in on one interface
    and back out through the private.
    Local traffic wasn't affected.

  5. Re: AIX Dropping Packets Network Woes

    On Sep 22, 8:38 pm, technick wrote:
    > For some reason my AIX 5.3 system is dropping packets on its public
    > interface and not the private. When pinging from the outside, its
    > dropping packets in a pattern. Out of four packets, it always drops
    > the first three.
    >
    > PING xxxxxxxx (xxx.x.xx.xx) 56(84) bytes of data.
    > 64 bytes from xxx.x.xx.xx: icmp_seq=3 ttl=243 time=56.8 ms
    > 64 bytes from xxx.x.xx.xx: icmp_seq=7 ttl=243 time=57.8 ms
    > 64 bytes from xxx.x.xx.xx: icmp_seq=11 ttl=243 time=59.4 ms
    > 64 bytes from xxx.x.xx.xx: icmp_seq=15 ttl=243 time=56.1 ms
    > 64 bytes from xxx.x.xx.xx: icmp_seq=19 ttl=243 time=54.9 ms
    > 64 bytes from xxx.x.xx.xx: icmp_seq=23 ttl=243 time=56.1 ms
    >
    > 24 packets transmitted, 6 received, 75% packet loss, time 23066ms
    > rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 54.919/56.885/59.451/1.464 ms
    >
    > Here is the output of netstat -p udp.
    >
    > udp:
    > 1110538 datagrams received
    > 0 incomplete headers
    > 0 bad data length fields
    > 0 bad checksums
    > 324 dropped due to no socket
    > 713584 broadcast/multicast datagrams dropped due to no socket
    > 0 socket buffer overflows
    > 396630 delivered
    > 399468 datagrams output
    >
    > I googled before posting and couldn't find the answer, if anybody can
    > help me out, i'd appreciate it.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    Just out of curiosity, is this an Etherchannel interface?

    Do an "lsattr -El ent_device -a mode" (where ent_device is, say ent1,
    if you are using en1 as your net interface). If you are not running
    etherchannel you should get an error like "lsattr: 0514-528 The "mode"
    attribute does not exist in the predefined device configuration
    database." Else, it will return an etherchannel mode type such as
    "8023ad".

    It *shouldn't* be the case that this affects anything, but we have had
    Etherchannel interfaces drop X of N packets when X ports of the N
    making up a channel were down (for err_disable, or by mistaken
    unplugging, etc.), and the behavior was as you describe.

    If you have etherchannel, have your network guys check all of your
    connected ports for down states.

    Best,

    Mark

    --
    Mark J. Cecil -- Senior UNIX Engineer and Part-time Curmudgeon
    New Orleans, Louisiana

  6. Re: AIX Dropping Packets Network Woes

    Scottz advice fixed the problem, thank you all who replied.

    Scottz, I owe you a beer the next time you in the Atlanta area!

    On Sep 23, 6:32 pm, Scottz wrote:
    > Also as a wag, check if you have valid default gateways with netstat -
    > rn
    >
    > If you have two default gateways, try disabling one temporarily with a
    > route delete default (insert ip address here) and try your ping.
    > Add it back with route add default (ip address)
    >
    > *note: route command doesn't make a permanent change - reboot will
    > bring it back.
    > And obviously if your doing this remotely then only try removing the
    > private one or else you'll knock yourself off the connection.
    >
    > We had issues with remote access trying to route in on one interface
    > and back out through the private.
    > Local traffic wasn't affected.

+ Reply to Thread