Backup and monitoring apps installed on Virtual I/O server - Aix

This is a discussion on Backup and monitoring apps installed on Virtual I/O server - Aix ; A question for you all, We've got a p510 (4 CPU) which has been micropartitioned up into 5 LPARs + 1 Virtual I/O server. Each partition can use between 10% and 70% of CPU cycles all disks attached to the ...

  1. Backup and monitoring apps installed on Virtual I/O server

    A question for you all,

    We've got a p510 (4 CPU) which has been micropartitioned up into 5
    LPARs + 1 Virtual I/O server. Each partition can use between 10% and
    70% of CPU cycles all disks attached to the box are being presented
    through the VIO server to the other LPARs.
    The VIO server has a particular LUN attached (from an HP SAN) which is
    mounted as a filesystem and NFS-ed across all the other LPARs. All
    LPARs can see the complete content of the filesystem and it's
    basically used as a centralised backup area for the databases on all
    LPARs (except the VIO Server one). One or two of the LPARs are hardly
    used at all.

    It's now required to:

    1. Install a Data Protector client somewhere to get the content of
    this LUN backed up to tape.
    2. Install IBM Data Director somewhere to monitor the hardware of the
    pSeries.

    Question: How wise is it to install both of these on the Virtual I/O
    Server. From an admin perspective it would be very nice to get it all
    centralised etc but what are the risks involved? I can only imagine
    that if the VIO Server gets saturated then the rest of the LPARs with
    definately suffer.

    Any recommendations on how to proceed in the best way?

    /RoB

  2. Re: Backup and monitoring apps installed on Virtual I/O server

    On 21 Sep, 11:25, RoB wrote:
    > A question for you all,
    >
    > We've got a p510 (4 CPU) which has been micropartitioned up into 5
    > LPARs + 1 Virtual I/O server. Each partition can use between 10% and
    > 70% of CPU cycles all disks attached to the box are being presented
    > through the VIO server to the other LPARs.
    > The VIO server has a particular LUN attached (from an HP SAN) which is
    > mounted as a filesystem and NFS-ed across all the other LPARs. All
    > LPARs can see the complete content of the filesystem and it's
    > basically used as a centralised backup area for the databases on all
    > LPARs (except the VIO Server one). One or two of the LPARs are hardly
    > used at all.
    >
    > It's now required to:
    >
    > 1. Install a Data Protector client somewhere to get the content of
    > this LUN backed up to tape.
    > 2. Install IBM Data Director somewhere to monitor the hardware of the
    > pSeries.
    >
    > Question: How wise is it to install both of these on the Virtual I/O
    > Server. From an admin perspective it would be very nice to get it all
    > centralised etc but what are the risks involved? I can only imagine
    > that if the VIO Server gets saturated then the rest of the LPARs with
    > definately suffer.
    >
    > Any recommendations on how to proceed in the best way?
    >
    > /RoB

    Hi Rob,

    I think you also need to bear in mind that you shouldnt really be
    installing software on the VIO server. Sure, you need to install some
    things such as drivers for the SAN etc, but in general I think its
    really to be treated as a system you dont install additional software
    on (Im happy to be corrected on that though) If you install a lot of
    software and then there are problems you may find IBM will first
    advise to remove the software you have installed.

    Also even though the VIO server is just AIX with some 'VIO' stuff
    running on it, I think you need to consider that these products may
    not even be supported on a VIO server.

    Im not familiar with the products you wish to install so cant advise
    on whether running them on a VIO server with reagrds to performance is
    a good idea or not. It may be that they require certain AIX fixes and
    you cant really go and install ad-hoc AIX fixes on the VIO server.

    Personally I'd setup a new LPAR for them.

    Regards,
    Scott

  3. Re: Backup and monitoring apps installed on Virtual I/O server

    On Sep 21, 11:48 am, scott wrote:
    > On 21 Sep, 11:25, RoB wrote:
    >

    > > A question for you all,

    > > We've got a p510 (4 CPU) which has been micropartitioned up into 5
    > > LPARs + 1 Virtual I/O server. Each partition can use between 10% and
    > > 70% of CPU cycles all disks attached to the box are being presented
    > > through the VIO server to the other LPARs.
    > > The VIO server has a particular LUN attached (from an HP SAN) which is
    > > mounted as a filesystem and NFS-ed across all the other LPARs. All
    > > LPARs can see the complete content of the filesystem and it's
    > > basically used as a centralised backup area for the databases on all
    > > LPARs (except the VIO Server one). One or two of the LPARs are hardly
    > > used at all.

    > > It's now required to:

    > > 1. Install a Data Protector client somewhere to get the content of
    > > this LUN backed up to tape.
    > > 2. Install IBM Data Director somewhere to monitor the hardware of the
    > > pSeries.

    > > Question: How wise is it to install both of these on the Virtual I/O
    > > Server. From an admin perspective it would be very nice to get it all
    > > centralised etc but what are the risks involved? I can only imagine
    > > that if the VIO Server gets saturated then the rest of the LPARs with
    > > definately suffer.

    > > Any recommendations on how to proceed in the best way?

    > > /RoB

    > Hi Rob,
    >
    > I think you also need to bear in mind that you shouldnt really be
    > installing software on the VIO server. Sure, you need to install some
    > things such as drivers for the SAN etc, but in general I think its
    > really to be treated as a system you dont install additional software
    > on (Im happy to be corrected on that though) If you install a lot of
    > software and then there are problems you may find IBM will first
    > advise to remove the software you have installed.
    >
    > Also even though the VIO server is just AIX with some 'VIO' stuff
    > running on it, I think you need to consider that these products may
    > not even be supported on a VIO server.
    >
    > Im not familiar with the products you wish to install so cant advise
    > on whether running them on a VIO server with reagrds to performance is
    > a good idea or not. It may be that they require certain AIX fixes and
    > you cant really go and install ad-hoc AIX fixes on the VIO server.
    >
    > Personally I'd setup a new LPAR for them.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Scott- Hide quoted text -

    Thanks Scott,

    > Also even though the VIO server is just AIX with some 'VIO' stuff
    > running on it, I think you need to consider that these products may
    > not even be supported on a VIO server.

    This is the worry I have as well so I thought I'd better ask around to
    see if anyone has found a better solution. Adding another LPAR isn't
    really an option but I could just install these apps on an existing
    LPAR.

    Has anyone got experience with running monitoring/backup clients on
    the VIO Server?

    /RoB

  4. Re: Backup and monitoring apps installed on Virtual I/O server

    RoB wrote:
    >> Also even though the VIO server is just AIX with some 'VIO' stuff
    >> running on it, I think you need to consider that these products may
    >> not even be supported on a VIO server.

    > This is the worry I have as well so I thought I'd better ask around to
    > see if anyone has found a better solution. Adding another LPAR isn't
    > really an option but I could just install these apps on an existing
    > LPAR.

    i'm the resident guinea-pig/figure-it-out-er at our locale.. and i've
    pretty much learned to look at the vio more as an 'appliance' than an
    lpar per se. i've had to install software into the vio to make it
    integrate with our san back-end (emc powerpath, clariion agents) but
    feel highly unholy doing it all... basically, try your best to ignore
    the entire 'if it walks, quacks, and defecates like an AIX lpar' feeling
    and treat it more like an appliance.

    myself, i would probably back it up from the point the nfs mount is
    shared. i mean, hell.. at that point all other in-frame lpars access it
    in a dma/mmio-type fashion, but why waste the cycles in the processor
    pool (which will be used WHEREVER you back it up from) running multiple
    dma/page accesses per data block when you can simply do it at the
    source? you're not really costing yourself much unless you are running
    uncapped and have your priorities set such the backup in the non-serving
    lpar would be higher than the others.

    ... but again, i'm still learning this all myself on an 8-way p570 with
    two fully-redundant vios serving up to 9 lpars in tryouts/practice (i.e.
    no real data/processing yet.. only one POC for an app we've now
    inherited due to its success... :/ )

    -r

  5. Re: Backup and monitoring apps installed on Virtual I/O server

    RoB wrote:
    > A question for you all,
    >
    > We've got a p510 (4 CPU) which has been micropartitioned up into 5
    > LPARs + 1 Virtual I/O server. Each partition can use between 10% and
    > 70% of CPU cycles all disks attached to the box are being presented
    > through the VIO server to the other LPARs.
    > The VIO server has a particular LUN attached (from an HP SAN) which is
    > mounted as a filesystem and NFS-ed across all the other LPARs. All
    > LPARs can see the complete content of the filesystem and it's
    > basically used as a centralised backup area for the databases on all
    > LPARs (except the VIO Server one). One or two of the LPARs are hardly
    > used at all.
    >
    > It's now required to:
    >
    > 1. Install a Data Protector client somewhere to get the content of
    > this LUN backed up to tape.
    > 2. Install IBM Data Director somewhere to monitor the hardware of the
    > pSeries.
    >
    > Question: How wise is it to install both of these on the Virtual I/O
    > Server. From an admin perspective it would be very nice to get it all
    > centralised etc but what are the risks involved? I can only imagine
    > that if the VIO Server gets saturated then the rest of the LPARs with
    > definately suffer.
    >
    > Any recommendations on how to proceed in the best way?
    >
    > /RoB

    Move your NFS LUN to one of the other LPARs, and let it do the NFS. You
    are more than likely in an unsupported configuration the way you are
    now. I have installed monitoring tools like nmon, and ganglia on my VIO
    servers, but other than that, I pretty much consider it taboo.

    Also, from my personal experience, I have noticed that IBM jams in more
    "functionality" with their tools with every update to VIO server. The
    latest 1.4 makes my point. VIO ran nicely under 1GB of memory before,
    but struggles now. They gave you what appears to be an ITM client, but
    I wouldn't touch ITM with a ten foot pole. ITM is a quintessential
    Tivoli product, but that is another subject entirely! ;-)

  6. Re: Backup and monitoring apps installed on Virtual I/O server

    On Sep 22, 1:58 pm, 0xdeadabe wrote:
    > RoB wrote:
    > > A question for you all,

    > > We've got a p510 (4 CPU) which has been micropartitioned up into 5
    > > LPARs + 1 Virtual I/O server. Each partition can use between 10% and
    > > 70% of CPU cycles all disks attached to the box are being presented
    > > through the VIO server to the other LPARs.
    > > The VIO server has a particular LUN attached (from an HP SAN) which is
    > > mounted as a filesystem and NFS-ed across all the other LPARs. All
    > > LPARs can see the complete content of the filesystem and it's
    > > basically used as a centralised backup area for the databases on all
    > > LPARs (except the VIO Server one). One or two of the LPARs are hardly
    > > used at all.

    > > It's now required to:

    > > 1. Install a Data Protector client somewhere to get the content of
    > > this LUN backed up to tape.
    > > 2. Install IBM Data Director somewhere to monitor the hardware of the
    > > pSeries.

    > > Question: How wise is it to install both of these on the Virtual I/O
    > > Server. From an admin perspective it would be very nice to get it all
    > > centralised etc but what are the risks involved? I can only imagine
    > > that if the VIO Server gets saturated then the rest of the LPARs with
    > > definately suffer.

    > > Any recommendations on how to proceed in the best way?

    > > /RoB

    > Move your NFS LUN to one of the other LPARs, and let it do the NFS. You
    > are more than likely in an unsupported configuration the way you are
    > now. I have installed monitoring tools like nmon, and ganglia on my VIO
    > servers, but other than that, I pretty much consider it taboo.
    >
    > Also, from my personal experience, I have noticed that IBM jams in more
    > "functionality" with their tools with every update to VIO server. The
    > latest 1.4 makes my point. VIO ran nicely under 1GB of memory before,
    > but struggles now. They gave you what appears to be an ITM client, but
    > I wouldn't touch ITM with a ten foot pole. ITM is a quintessential
    > Tivoli product, but that is another subject entirely! ;-)- Hide quoted text -

    Thanks for that you all,

    I'll aim at presenting the LUN to one of the LPARs and back it up from
    there. I don't want to mess around too much with the VIO server as I
    remember being a minor nightmare to get it setup properly.

    Cheers,

    RoB

+ Reply to Thread