SSA 7133 D40 microcode upgrade - Aix

This is a discussion on SSA 7133 D40 microcode upgrade - Aix ; Hello All, im getting ready to upgrade the microcode of our SSA DISK for 7133 D40 the IBM SE suggested to varry off all my VOLUME GROUPS. But, what i was thinking can just booting the system (AIX 5.3) on ...

  1. SSA 7133 D40 microcode upgrade

    Hello All,

    im getting ready to upgrade the microcode of our SSA DISK for
    7133 D40 the IBM SE suggested to varry off all my VOLUME GROUPS. But,
    what i was thinking can just booting the system (AIX 5.3) on
    maintenance instead of manually unmounting all the FS?

    will this work?

    Thanks
    pinoy

  2. Re: SSA 7133 D40 microcode upgrade

    On Sep 20, 11:44 am, pinoy2ser wrote:
    > Hello All,
    >
    > im getting ready to upgrade the microcode of our SSA DISK for
    > 7133 D40 the IBM SE suggested to varry off all my VOLUME GROUPS. But,
    > what i was thinking can just booting the system (AIX 5.3) on
    > maintenance instead of manually unmounting all the FS?
    >
    > will this work?
    >
    > Thanks
    > pinoy

    I'm a little rusty on SSA, but I never remember, unmounting, vary'ing
    off or rebooting anything. I never even stopped the apps.

    Are you upgrading the disk or the enclosure MC?

    Miles

  3. Re: SSA 7133 D40 microcode upgrade

    On 2007-09-20, miles wrote:
    > On Sep 20, 11:44 am, pinoy2ser wrote:
    >> Hello All,
    >>
    >> im getting ready to upgrade the microcode of our SSA DISK for
    >> 7133 D40 the IBM SE suggested to varry off all my VOLUME GROUPS. But,
    >> what i was thinking can just booting the system (AIX 5.3) on
    >> maintenance instead of manually unmounting all the FS?
    >>
    >> will this work?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> pinoy

    > I'm a little rusty on SSA, but I never remember, unmounting, vary'ing
    > off or rebooting anything. I never even stopped the apps.
    >
    > Are you upgrading the disk or the enclosure MC?
    >
    > Miles

    I did this *ONCE* without unmounting and varying off the volume
    groups. Don't remember if I was updating the disks or the adaptor.
    Had Terabytes of data magically disappear. I was able to recover
    the volumes. (don't remember how)

    Believe IBM's instructions when they say unmount and varyoff!!!!

    --
    Kirk

  4. Re: SSA 7133 D40 microcode upgrade

    On Sep 20, 10:25 pm, pr...@yuck.net wrote:
    > On 2007-09-20, miles wrote:
    >

    > > On Sep 20, 11:44 am, pinoy2ser wrote:
    > >> Hello All,

    > >> im getting ready to upgrade the microcode of our SSA DISK for
    > >> 7133 D40 the IBM SE suggested to varry off all my VOLUME GROUPS. But,
    > >> what i was thinking can just booting the system (AIX 5.3) on
    > >> maintenance instead of manually unmounting all the FS?

    > >> will this work?

    > >> Thanks
    > >> pinoy

    > > I'm a little rusty on SSA, but I never remember, unmounting, vary'ing
    > > off or rebooting anything. I never even stopped the apps.

    > > Are you upgrading the disk or the enclosure MC?

    > > Miles

    > I did this *ONCE* without unmounting and varying off the volume
    > groups. Don't remember if I was updating the disks or the adaptor.
    > Had Terabytes of data magically disappear. I was able to recover
    > the volumes. (don't remember how)
    >
    > Believe IBM's instructions when they say unmount and varyoff!!!!
    >
    > --
    > Kirk- Hide quoted text -

    okay, thanks..I'll do that then while the system is up ill just
    unmount everthing except FS from ROOTVG..
    and varyoff the VG's..im only upgrade the disk

    pinoy

  5. Re: SSA 7133 D40 microcode upgrade

    On Sep 21, 1:27 pm, pinoy2ser wrote:
    > On Sep 20, 10:25 pm, pr...@yuck.net wrote:

    > > > I'm a little rusty on SSA, but I never remember, unmounting, vary'ing
    > > > off or rebooting anything. I never even stopped the apps.

    > > > Are you upgrading the disk or the enclosure MC?

    > > > Miles

    > > I did this *ONCE* without unmounting and varying off the volume
    > > groups. Don't remember if I was updating the disks or the adaptor.
    > > Had Terabytes of data magically disappear. I was able to recover
    > > the volumes. (don't remember how)

    > > Believe IBM's instructions when they say unmount and varyoff!!!!

    > > --
    > > Kirk- Hide quoted text -

    > okay, thanks..I'll do that then while the system is up ill just
    > unmount everthing except FS from ROOTVG..
    > and varyoff the VG's..im only upgrade the disk
    >
    > pinoy

    Just to be sure my memory wasn't totally gone, I went through the
    _disk_ MC upgrade screens for SSA disks:

    MICROCODE
    DOWNLOAD
    802430

    CAUTION:

    Microcode may be downloaded to SSA disk drives while they are in use.
    However, if you choose to perform the download while a disk drive
    is busy the operating system or using applications may experience
    temporary delays.

    Downloading microcode to the selected disk drives may take up to
    2 minutes.

    Do you want to continue?

    No
    Yes

    You shouldn't normally have problems. If you vary everything off then
    you shouldn't either.
    Miles

  6. Re: SSA 7133 D40 microcode upgrade

    Thank you for the advice...