unable to create a directory - Aix

This is a discussion on unable to create a directory - Aix ; it seems baffling to me that i am not able to create a bin directory in the home directory as a normal user.It says permission is denied.Iam able to do the same in the su mode.Can anyone please tell me ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: unable to create a directory

  1. unable to create a directory

    it seems baffling to me that i am not able to create a bin directory
    in the home directory as a normal user.It says permission is
    denied.Iam able to do the same in the su mode.Can anyone please tell
    me the reason?
    thanks in advance..


  2. Re: unable to create a directory

    On Sep 20, 10:23 am, arun.einst...@gmail.com wrote:
    > it seems baffling to me that i am not able to create a bin directory
    > in the home directory as a normal user.It says permission is
    > denied.Iam able to do the same in the su mode.Can anyone please tell
    > me the reason?
    > thanks in advance..



    The owner of the directory is wrong or the permissions on it are
    wrong, ie owner does not have write.

    Miles


  3. Re: unable to create a directory

    On Sep 20, 1:15 pm, miles wrote:
    > On Sep 20, 10:23 am, arun.einst...@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    > > it seems baffling to me that i am not able to create a bin directory
    > > in the home directory as a normal user.It says permission is
    > > denied.Iam able to do the same in the su mode.Can anyone please tell
    > > me the reason?
    > > thanks in advance..

    >
    > The owner of the directory is wrong or the permissions on it are
    > wrong, ie owner does not have write.
    >
    > Miles


    Does the user that you're using has write permission on this
    directory?
    If you are using su, you're allowed to create regardless of the
    permission.


  4. Re: unable to create a directory

    On Sep 21, 11:31 am, Emerson Seiti Takahashi wrote:
    > On Sep 20, 1:15 pm, miles wrote:
    >
    > > On Sep 20, 10:23 am, arun.einst...@gmail.com wrote:

    >
    > > > it seems baffling to me that i am not able to create a bin directory
    > > > in the home directory as a normal user.It says permission is
    > > > denied.Iam able to do the same in the su mode.Can anyone please tell
    > > > me the reason?
    > > > thanks in advance..

    >
    > > The owner of the directory is wrong or the permissions on it are
    > > wrong, ie owner does not have write.

    >
    > > Miles

    >
    > Does the user that you're using has write permission on this
    > directory?
    > If you are using su, you're allowed to create regardless of the
    > permission.


    When you say su .. are refering to gotRoot? ... the directory you are
    trying to create is in the $HOME of the user you are working with ...
    or the /home directory ?


  5. Re: unable to create a directory

    On Sep 22, 6:28 am, Juan Medina wrote:
    > > > > it seems baffling to me that i am not able to create a bin directory
    > > > > in the home directory as a normal user.It says permission is
    > > > > denied.Iam able to do the same in the su mode.Can anyone please tell
    > > > > me the reason?
    > > > > thanks in advance..


    to be able to help you please post the results of the following:

    # ls -ld ~
    and # ls -ld all parent directories eg. # ls -ld /home; ls -ld /home/
    marketing

    # id



+ Reply to Thread