AIX doesn't know DB2 is installed - Aix

This is a discussion on AIX doesn't know DB2 is installed - Aix ; I have a situation here : I have an AIX server with Db2 V8.2 ESE FP13 installed and running multiple databases. When I tried to install the FP14, the installer said DB2 not found. SMIT software listing doesn't list DB2 ...

  1. AIX doesn't know DB2 is installed

    I have a situation here : I have an AIX server with Db2 V8.2 ESE
    FP13 installed and running multiple databases. When I tried to
    install the FP14, the installer said DB2 not found. SMIT software
    listing doesn't list DB2 either. I can see the /usr/opt/db2_08_01
    directory and the instances start and database work without any
    problem. It seems that AIX lost the DB2 entries on its repository
    (whatever AIX equivalent is ).
    How can I fix it ?

    TIA

    Roger

  2. Re: AIX doesn't know DB2 is installed

    Roger,
    look at the DB2 install files like this:
    file db2filename
    and the output should looklike
    db2filename: backup/restore format file
    if it does not then most llikely DB2 was not installed via the
    installp command.
    what do I mean?
    There are many programs that are packaged as gunzipped and tarred up
    files.
    If you uncompress and then un tar the files as an install then the ODM
    nevers gets updated with the installed filesets.
    Some people (not experienced AIX admins) just copy files and
    subdirectories from other installed systems also
    and this would not update the ODM.
    AIX does not lose entries made in the LPP ODM repository unless the
    files have been corrupted or
    removed! you can run lslpp -l from commandline to see what filesetsare
    installed. If this gives output then the
    LPP ODM repository is not corrupt or missing. Also this repositry is
    not a text file that can be easily added to it.

    It would be better to double-check the install instructions to make
    sure that you are installing it correctly.
    If you are then contact DB2 support for the definitions that need to
    be entered via the odmadd command

    Hope that this helps

  3. Re: AIX doesn't know DB2 is installed

    On Sep 20, 9:46 am, Roger wrote:
    > I have a situation here : I have an AIX server with Db2 V8.2 ESE
    > FP13 installed and running multiple databases. When I tried to
    > install the FP14, the installer said DB2 not found. SMIT software
    > listing doesn't list DB2 either. I can see the /usr/opt/db2_08_01
    > directory and the instances start and database work without any
    > problem. It seems that AIX lost the DB2 entries on its repository
    > (whatever AIX equivalent is ).
    > How can I fix it ?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Roger

    >From the command line, as root, run:

    lslpp -l | grep -i db
    or some other string, or leave off the grep. This will tell you if it
    was indeed installed via installp.

    However, software does not *have* to be installed via installp.
    Someone could have copied the binaries.

    Miles

  4. Re: AIX doesn't know DB2 is installed

    On Sep 20, 10:46 am, Roger wrote:
    > I have a situation here : I have an AIX server with Db2 V8.2 ESE
    > FP13 installed and running multiple databases. When I tried to
    > install the FP14, the installer said DB2 not found. SMIT software
    > listing doesn't list DB2 either. I can see the /usr/opt/db2_08_01
    > directory and the instances start and database work without any
    > problem. It seems that AIX lost the DB2 entries on its repository
    > (whatever AIX equivalent is ).
    > How can I fix it ?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Roger

    your best option at this point may be to go get the alternate install
    filesets for the base level. this should let you (re)install db2 fp7
    into /usr/opt/db2_08_FP7. from there, you can either get the alternate
    install for fp14 and install them into /usr/opt/db2_08_FP14, or the
    normal fixpack should let you, at that point, install the fixpack
    into /usr/opt/db2_08_01.

    either that, or get some additional downtime and completely reinstall
    the original db2 filesets, then the fixpacks you want.

  5. Re: AIX doesn't know DB2 is installed

    db2 was installed using db2install process, just like the other 20
    servers we have. DB2 is completely functional too. When I do a lspp -l|
    grep db2, it doesn't list anything. I also verfied the /usr/opt/
    db2_08_01. all the files are there.

    Is there a command to rebuild the ODM ?

    Thanks

  6. Re: AIX doesn't know DB2 is installed

    >> Is there a command to rebuild the ODM ?

    No ..

    If no s/w updates have been installed since the last mksysb, then you
    may be able to grab the accosicated ODM classes from the mksysb and
    simply replace them, however, this would probably not be supported ..
    your best option if it is really an issue to you would be to either re-
    install db2 (just re-installing the binarys/lpps will not screw up any
    of your instances if done properly), or restore your last mksysb that
    did not have the issue.

    HTH
    Mark Taylor

  7. Re: AIX doesn't know DB2 is installed

    Before you give up on whether the db2 installation is recorded in lpp,
    you should
    try one last command:

    lslpp -w /complete/path/to/filename

    and replace complete path to filename with the name of an executable
    in your db2 installation. Make sure that you are referencing the
    real
    path and not path that is a link.

    This should directly tell you if a file is owned by lpp.

    But, as people have mentioned before, It is possible that something
    else
    has installed that file.

    It may well be another problem.

    A quick search on google leads me to the following text:
    ****************
    The problem: After running the db2install.sh script, you get the
    following errors:

    ../db2install.sh db2inst1 cyanea /tmp/wsam31/Installer-MS/scripts/db2
    ksh: db2:
    not found.

    ksh: db2: not found.

    Does this mean the script failed?

    The reason: The script may have completed successfully, but the error
    messages mean that the user does not have the correct information in
    the ".profile". There needs to be a reference there that sources the
    db2profile.
    **********

    Hope this helps
    Casey

  8. Re: AIX doesn't know DB2 is installed

    On Sep 21, 3:44 am, Mark Taylor wrote:
    > >> Is there a command to rebuild the ODM ?

    > No ..
    >
    > If no s/w updates have been installed since the last mksysb, then you
    > may be able to grab the accosicated ODM classes from the mksysb and
    > simply replace them, however, this would probably not be supported ..
    > your best option if it is really an issue to you would be to either re-
    > install db2 (just re-installing the binarys/lpps will not screw up any
    > of your instances if done properly), or restore your last mksysb that
    > did not have the issue.
    >
    > HTH
    > Mark Taylor

    thanks everybody for your input. I will reinstall the binary's

+ Reply to Thread