AIX 5.3 - Bad blv and hd5 / Cannot run bosboot - Aix

This is a discussion on AIX 5.3 - Bad blv and hd5 / Cannot run bosboot - Aix ; Hello all, IBM p55a -- AIX 5.3 ML4 This server won't boot. Somewhere, somehow, hd5 was corrupted, and we had to restore from sysback. In maintenance mode (booting from an ML5 cd), we can mount rootvg. Trying to run bosboot, ...

  1. AIX 5.3 - Bad blv and hd5 / Cannot run bosboot

    Hello all,

    IBM p55a -- AIX 5.3 ML4

    This server won't boot. Somewhere, somehow, hd5 was corrupted, and we
    had to restore from sysback. In maintenance mode (booting from an ML5
    cd), we can mount rootvg.

    Trying to run bosboot, we receive this error:

    $> bosboot -ad /dev/hdisk0

    0301-154 bosboot: missing proto file: /usr/lib/drivers/if_en

    What else do you need from me? Any help is appreciated.

    Thank you,
    Tyler

  2. Re: AIX 5.3 - Bad blv and hd5 / Cannot run bosboot

    UPDATE: Please ignore the first error message.. this is the real one:

    ================
    # bosboot -ad
    hdisk0
    odmget: Could not retrieve object for CuAt, odm errno
    5904
    Error opening disk: No such file or
    directory
    Error opening disk: No such file or
    directory
    Error opening disk: No such file or
    directory
    Error opening disk: No such file or
    directory

    0301-154 bosboot: missing proto file: /tmp/bosboot_24862_23898/
    boot_ODM/CuData
    ================

    What else do you need from me? Any help is appreciated.

    Thank you,
    Tyler

  3. Re: AIX 5.3 - Bad blv and hd5 / Cannot run bosboot

    > What else do you need from me? Any help is appreciated.

    / or /tmp full ?

    hth
    Hajo

  4. Re: AIX 5.3 - Bad blv and hd5 / Cannot run bosboot

    >> 0301-154 bosboot: missing proto file: /usr/lib/drivers/if_en

    Does "/usr/lib/drivers/if_en" exist ?

    lppchk -v run clean ?

    errpt errors ?

    any other corruption ?

    have you got a mksysb ?

    Rgds
    Mark Taylor

  5. Re: AIX 5.3 - Bad blv and hd5 / Cannot run bosboot

    On Sep 19, 7:41 pm, slad...@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hello all,
    >
    > IBM p55a -- AIX 5.3 ML4
    >
    > This server won't boot. Somewhere, somehow, hd5 was corrupted, and we
    > had to restore from sysback. In maintenance mode (booting from an ML5
    > cd), we can mount rootvg.
    >
    > Trying to run bosboot, we receive this error:
    >
    > $> bosboot -ad /dev/hdisk0
    >
    > 0301-154 bosboot: missing proto file: /usr/lib/drivers/if_en
    >
    > What else do you need from me? Any help is appreciated.
    >
    > Thank you,
    > Tyler

    One major problem that I often run into, and I don't know if this is
    your problem but, it is *imperative* that version of the media that
    you are booting from match the version installed on rootvg. For
    example the version of bos.mp.

    If you have applied any patches since installing from that CD, you
    will mostly likely NOT be able to use it to recover from. I have
    encountered this many times. You will need a current mksysb to be able
    to recover (or NIM server).

    Miles

+ Reply to Thread