AIX 5.3 unmount of filesystem - Aix

This is a discussion on AIX 5.3 unmount of filesystem - Aix ; Hello all, I had something strange happen the other day thought I would toss it out to the group to see if there was anything else I could do. I was going to upgrade power path, I killed ecc and ...

  1. AIX 5.3 unmount of filesystem

    Hello all,

    I had something strange happen the other day thought I would toss it
    out to the group to see if there was anything else I could do.

    I was going to upgrade power path, I killed ecc and verified it.
    stopped all apps and did a umount -a

    Only had 2 files systems to manually check, one unmounted after I
    stopped the app it had running it. The other gave me grief.

    Fuser -c showed nothing, ps -ef showed nothing and lsof showed
    nothing. Just couldn't get it to unmount because I could never find
    what was holding it open I guess. I ended up rebooting but just wanted
    to know if their was something else I could have done.

    Thanks,

  2. Re: AIX 5.3 unmount of filesystem

    > Fuser -c showed nothing, ps -ef showed nothing and lsof showed
    > nothing. Just couldn't get it to unmount because I could never find
    > what was holding it open I guess. I ended up rebooting but just wanted
    > to know if their was something else I could have done.
    >
    > Thanks,

    Usually "fuser -cx" gives more useful results. But it's quite common
    scenario when an application wasn't closed cleanly and hung during an I/O
    function call that there is no way (which I'm aware of) to unmount the fs
    involved, so the only option is to reboot (very annoying in HACMP
    environment).

    P.W.

  3. Re: AIX 5.3 unmount of filesystem

    On Sep 19, 3:22 am, "dead...@gmail.com" wrote:
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I had something strange happen the other day thought I would toss it
    > out to the group to see if there was anything else I could do.
    >
    > I was going to upgrade power path, I killed ecc and verified it.
    > stopped all apps and did a umount -a
    >
    > Only had 2 files systems to manually check, one unmounted after I
    > stopped the app it had running it. The other gave me grief.
    >
    > Fuser -c showed nothing, ps -ef showed nothing and lsof showed
    > nothing. Just couldn't get it to unmount because I could never find
    > what was holding it open I guess. I ended up rebooting but just wanted
    > to know if their was something else I could have done.
    >
    > Thanks,

    I think we've all had this.
    I think there's an lsof option ("+D") to traverse the whole
    (Filesystem) directory tree as it doesn't do this by default;I believe
    the inability to umount a Filesystem is to do with threads

  4. Re: AIX 5.3 unmount of filesystem

    deadly1@gmail.com schrieb:

    > Fuser -c showed nothing, ps -ef showed nothing and lsof showed
    > nothing. Just couldn't get it to unmount because I could never find
    > what was holding it open I guess. I ended up rebooting but just wanted
    > to know if their was something else I could have done.

    if the FS is NFS exported, un-export it (exportfs -u)
    if there are shared objects/libs in the filesystem, run slibclean
    kdb
    vfs --> get the index# for the problem FS
    vfs --> will list all in core inodes,
    check for use counts >0
    q will exit kdb
    Find the file(s) with use count >0 (the root dir inode is at least 1,
    so this is not the problem). They may give you more hints what may
    block umount.

    Thomas

  5. Re: AIX 5.3 unmount of filesystem

    Hey Everyone,

    Thanks for the replies, I will keep them in mind the next time this
    happens. I have another one coming up and hope that I will
    be able to use some of these.

    Ted

    On Sep 19, 1:28 am, Thomas Braunbeck
    wrote:
    > dead...@gmail.com schrieb:
    >
    > > Fuser -c showed nothing, ps -ef showed nothing and lsof showed
    > > nothing. Just couldn't get it to unmount because I could never find
    > > what was holding it open I guess. I ended up rebooting but just wanted
    > > to know if their was something else I could have done.

    > if the FS is NFS exported, un-export it (exportfs -u)
    > if there are shared objects/libs in the filesystem, run slibclean
    > kdb
    > vfs --> get the index# for the problem FS
    > vfs --> will list all in core inodes,
    > check for use counts >0
    > q will exit kdb
    > Find the file(s) with use count >0 (the root dir inode is at least 1,
    > so this is not the problem). They may give you more hints what may
    > block umount.
    >
    > Thomas

+ Reply to Thread