jfs versus jfs2 - Aix

This is a discussion on jfs versus jfs2 - Aix ; Are there any advantages to jfs2 over jfs outside of the larger files and filesystems allowed? Are there any whitepapers/redbooks etc. that address this? Thanks...

  1. jfs versus jfs2

    Are there any advantages to jfs2 over jfs outside of the larger files and
    filesystems allowed? Are there any whitepapers/redbooks etc. that address
    this?

    Thanks

  2. Re: jfs versus jfs2

    CIO is only available with JFS2 as example, but look yourself:
    >http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...s_jfs_jfs2.htm
    >http://www-03.ibm.com/servers/aix/wh...s_aix_perf.pdf

    Bye, Stefan ... . . .

  3. Re: jfs versus jfs2

    Roger Tango wrote:
    > Are there any advantages to jfs2 over jfs outside of the larger files and
    > filesystems allowed? Are there any whitepapers/redbooks etc. that address
    > this?
    >
    > Thanks

    I found this document interesting:
    http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/p/os/a...s/jfs_vfs.html

    jfs2 also frees you from knowing your inode-requirements beforehand
    which I find is a big plus.
    Anyway, there have been quite some bugfixes in jfs2 functionality in the
    recent years (the filesystem shrinking code e.g.). So I consider jfs
    more mature.

  4. Re: jfs versus jfs2

    "sllabres" wrote in message
    news:1190043224.319348.171520@y42g2000hsy.googlegr oups.com...
    > CIO is only available with JFS2 as example, but look yourself:
    >>http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...s_jfs_jfs2.htm
    >>http://www-03.ibm.com/servers/aix/wh...s_aix_perf.pdf

    > Bye, Stefan ... . . .

    Thanks, that performance whitepaper is just the ticket.

  5. Re: jfs versus jfs2

    On Sep 18, 12:40 am, "Roger Tango" wrote:
    > Are there any advantages to jfs2 over jfs outside of the larger files and
    > filesystems allowed? Are there any whitepapers/redbooks etc. that address
    > this?
    >
    > Thanks

    My biggest negative to JFS2 was a bug in AIX 5.2 when I tried to
    restore a mksysb for a rootvg that had the "JFS2=yes" option on; could
    not restore it; very annoying.

+ Reply to Thread