Question: VIO server, alt_root_vg and client LVs - Aix

This is a discussion on Question: VIO server, alt_root_vg and client LVs - Aix ; Good day everyone, I just migrated VIO server on an IBM 9117-570 machine to another disk using 'alt_root_vg'. Everything went fine, except for logical volumes created for 2 VIO clients (one AIX6 test LPAR and one Linux test LPAR); they ...

  1. Question: VIO server, alt_root_vg and client LVs

    Good day everyone,

    I just migrated VIO server on an IBM 9117-570 machine to another disk using
    'alt_root_vg'. Everything went fine, except for logical volumes created for 2
    VIO clients (one AIX6 test LPAR and one Linux test LPAR); they were created on
    new rootvg, but data not copied. I believe that 'alt_root_vg' procedure did not
    copy them by design, as they are 'foreign'. Now I have these LVs sitting on the
    'old_rootvg'. I know, having client LVs on rootvg is not a good idea, but so it
    happened. Now - the question is how to copy these LVs correctly to a separate VG
    (in worst case new rootvg will do). Is 'mklvcopy' (and then 'rmlvcopy' for old
    LV) designed for such a purpose or, possibly, I can just dd if=/dev/oldlv01
    of=/dev/rootvg_aix6 bs=4k etc etc..?

    Alex

  2. Re: Question: VIO server, alt_root_vg and client LVs

    On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 12:21:49 +0300, AlexB wrote:

    >Good day everyone,
    >
    >I just migrated VIO server on an IBM 9117-570 machine to another disk using
    >'alt_root_vg'. Everything went fine, except for logical volumes created for 2
    >VIO clients (one AIX6 test LPAR and one Linux test LPAR); they were created on
    >new rootvg, but data not copied. I believe that 'alt_root_vg' proceduredid not
    >copy them by design, as they are 'foreign'. Now I have these LVs sittingon the
    >'old_rootvg'. I know, having client LVs on rootvg is not a good idea, but so it
    >happened. Now - the question is how to copy these LVs correctly to a separate VG
    >(in worst case new rootvg will do). Is 'mklvcopy' (and then 'rmlvcopy' for old
    >LV) designed for such a purpose or, possibly, I can just dd if=/dev/oldlv01
    >of=/dev/rootvg_aix6 bs=4k etc etc..?
    >

    >Alex

    finally replying myself, so others may use this information. To me it seemed
    that 'cplv' should do the job, but it did not for some reason. After cplvI did
    not have bootable disk in client LPAR configuration. Old trusty 'dd' worked,
    though!

    Alex

  3. Re: Question: VIO server, alt_root_vg and client LVs

    On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 11:53:09 +0300, AlexB wrote:

    >... To me it seemed
    >that 'cplv' should do the job, but it did not for some reason. After cplv I did
    >not have bootable disk in client LPAR configuration. Old trusty 'dd' worked,
    >though!

    While cplv will copy the logical volumes, you still need to set the OS
    "sector zero" Boot pointer with the bosboot command. A dd copies
    *everything* so, in effect, the boot pointer was set.

    Remember, cplv'ing an active LV is not supported. The state of the
    copied lv may not be consistent -- I'd run an fsck on all the copied
    filesystems.

    -- David

  4. Re: Question: VIO server, alt_root_vg and client LVs

    On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 20:27:22 GMT, David Luner wrote:

    >On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 11:53:09 +0300, AlexB wrote:
    >

    >>... To me it seemed
    >>that 'cplv' should do the job, but it did not for some reason. After cplv I did
    >>not have bootable disk in client LPAR configuration. Old trusty 'dd' worked,
    >>though!
    >>

    >While cplv will copy the logical volumes, you still need to set the OS
    >"sector zero" Boot pointer with the bosboot command. A dd copies
    >*everything* so, in effect, the boot pointer was set.
    >
    >Remember, cplv'ing an active LV is not supported. The state of the
    >copied lv may not be consistent -- I'd run an fsck on all the copied
    >filesystems.
    >
    > -- David

    Thanks a lot for your note about active LVs, Dave. Somehow it slipped offmy
    checklist. Just to educate myyself, I'll cplv + bosboot this LV again to take it
    off VIOS rootvg down to datavg.

    Alex

+ Reply to Thread