Booting F40 using Knoppix - Aix

This is a discussion on Booting F40 using Knoppix - Aix ; I'm wanting to sell an old IBM F40 and would like to make sure the hard drives are erased very well. I've heard that Knoppix 5.1.1 has a shred command that will do the trick. I made sure that the ...

  1. Booting F40 using Knoppix

    I'm wanting to sell an old IBM F40 and would like to make sure the hard
    drives are erased very well. I've heard that Knoppix 5.1.1 has a shred
    command that will do the trick. I made sure that the F40 was set to boot
    from CD-ROM but it won't boot. I put the Knoppix CD into a PC and it will
    boot into Knoppix. Am I doing something wrong or will Knoppix not work on
    my RS/6000? If not, what alternatives do I have?

    Thanks....Mark

  2. Re: Booting F40 using Knoppix

    Mark McWilliams wrote:
    > I'm wanting to sell an old IBM F40 and would like to make sure the hard
    > drives are erased very well. I've heard that Knoppix 5.1.1 has a shred
    > command that will do the trick. I made sure that the F40 was set to boot
    > from CD-ROM but it won't boot. I put the Knoppix CD into a PC and it will
    > boot into Knoppix. Am I doing something wrong or will Knoppix not work on
    > my RS/6000? If not, what alternatives do I have?
    >
    > Thanks....Mark

    The Knopper is only ported to i386. Your F40 is PPC architecture.
    Apples and oranges. It won't work.

  3. Re: Booting F40 using Knoppix

    You still have some options, there is a PPC Fedora Core, so you could
    boot the resuce CD, there may even be a live CD now. There is an
    OpenSuSE live cd and they may have included PPC now (havent checked in
    a while) .. Gentoo now has PPC support, so that may be an option ..,
    or google it

    Got this hit --> http://www.frozentech.com/content/li...owonly=PowerPC

    May be worth checking them out .. post back if you find one that
    works

    HTH
    Mark Taylor

  4. Re: Booting F40 using Knoppix

    On Sep 13, 8:52 am, Mark Taylor wrote:
    > You still have some options, there is a PPC Fedora Core, so you could
    > boot the resuce CD, there may even be a live CD now. There is an
    > OpenSuSE live cd and they may have included PPC now (havent checked in
    > a while) .. Gentoo now has PPC support, so that may be an option ..,
    > or google it
    >
    > Got this hit -->http://www.frozentech.com/content/li...owonly=PowerPC
    >
    > May be worth checking them out .. post back if you find one that
    > works
    >
    > HTH
    > Mark Taylor

    FYI most ppc linuxes are 64-bit - the F40 is not a 64-bit machine.

  5. Re: Booting F40 using Knoppix

    sjm wrote:
    > On Sep 13, 8:52 am, Mark Taylor wrote:
    >> You still have some options, there is a PPC Fedora Core, so you could
    >> boot the resuce CD, there may even be a live CD now. There is an
    >> OpenSuSE live cd and they may have included PPC now (havent checked in
    >> a while) .. Gentoo now has PPC support, so that may be an option ..,
    >> or google it
    >>
    >> Got this hit -->http://www.frozentech.com/content/li...owonly=PowerPC
    >>
    >> May be worth checking them out .. post back if you find one that
    >> works
    >>
    >> HTH
    >> Mark Taylor

    > FYI most ppc linuxes are 64-bit - the F40 is not a 64-bit machine.

    At least Debian PPC boot CD has 32-bit boot kernel for PREP(and 32-bit
    or 64-bit for CHRP machines). F40 is PREP right?

    Tero

  6. Re: Booting F40 using Knoppix

    "Tero Kaarlela" wrote in message
    > sjm wrote:
    >> On Sep 13, 8:52 am, Mark Taylor wrote:
    >>> You still have some options, there is a PPC Fedora Core, so you could
    >>> boot the resuce CD, there may even be a live CD now. There is an
    >>> OpenSuSE live cd and they may have included PPC now (havent checked in
    >>> a while) .. Gentoo now has PPC support, so that may be an option ..,
    >>> or google it
    >>>
    >>> Got this
    >>> hit -->http://www.frozentech.com/content/li...owonly=PowerPC
    >>>
    >>> May be worth checking them out .. post back if you find one that
    >>> works
    >>>
    >>> HTH
    >>> Mark Taylor

    >> FYI most ppc linuxes are 64-bit - the F40 is not a 64-bit machine.
    >>

    > At least Debian PPC boot CD has 32-bit boot kernel for PREP(and 32-bit or
    > 64-bit for CHRP machines). F40 is PREP right?
    >

    > Tero

    I'm going to download the Debian PPC boot CD and give this a try tomorrow.
    I'll let you know my results. I'm assuming that the shred command will be
    in the distro?

  7. Re: Booting F40 using Knoppix

    If it is not use "apt-get install shred" to fetch it...

    Tero

    Mark McWilliams wrote:
    > "Tero Kaarlela" wrote in message
    >> sjm wrote:

    >>> FYI most ppc linuxes are 64-bit - the F40 is not a 64-bit machine.
    >>>

    >> At least Debian PPC boot CD has 32-bit boot kernel for PREP(and 32-bit or
    >> 64-bit for CHRP machines). F40 is PREP right?
    >>

    >> Tero

    > I'm going to download the Debian PPC boot CD and give this a try tomorrow.
    > I'll let you know my results. I'm assuming that the shred command will be
    > in the distro?

  8. Re: Booting F40 using Knoppix

    Or build a secure delete from source. Here is a pointer to sdelete
    from the (now) Microsoft Sysinternals which is available from the "Way
    Back" machine.

    http://web.archive.org/web/200604272...s/SDelete.html

+ Reply to Thread