3590-H1A FC + SAN Swich - Aix

This is a discussion on 3590-H1A FC + SAN Swich - Aix ; Hi, When I directly connect 3590-H1A drive by FC it works fine ans shows up as rmnt0 Other FC SCSI Tape Drive device. But when I connect it through FC swich it appears as fscsi0 fc scsi i/o controller protocool ...

  1. 3590-H1A FC + SAN Swich

    Hi,

    When I directly connect 3590-H1A drive by FC it works fine ans shows up as
    rmnt0 Other FC SCSI Tape Drive device.
    But when I connect it through FC swich it appears as
    fscsi0 fc scsi i/o controller protocool device.

    I just got infomration that it might be a case of having diferent drivers
    for direct FC connestion and for Swiched FC connestion. But I cannot find
    any reference to this on IBM support web sites.

    Do anyone had contact witch such solution ? I will apriciate any idea.

    Stan

  2. Re: 3590-H1A FC + SAN Swich

    On 11 Sep, 12:35, "Stanislaw Zakrzewski" wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > When I directly connect 3590-H1A drive by FC it works fine ans shows up as
    > rmnt0 Other FC SCSI Tape Drive device.
    > But when I connect it through FC swich it appears as
    > fscsi0 fc scsi i/o controller protocool device.
    >
    > I just got infomration that it might be a case of having diferent drivers
    > for direct FC connestion and for Swiched FC connestion. But I cannot find
    > any reference to this on IBM support web sites.
    >
    > Do anyone had contact witch such solution ? I will apriciate any idea.
    >
    > Stan

    This *may* not be a solution but firstly I think you want to get the
    drivers for the 3590. Once you have the drivers AIX will recognize it
    as a 3590 and not a generic device. Try here for the drivers:

    ftp://index.storsys.ibm.com/

    then look under 'devdrvr' and 'AIX'. You want the Atape driver I
    believe (the atldd is for a tape library).

    Then what I see on my system (note I have 3592 drives but I think the
    driver is the same)

    lsdev |grep rmt0
    rmt0 Available 07-08-02 IBM 3592 Tape Drive (FCP)

    lsdev |grep fscsi0
    fscsi0 Available 07-08-02 FC SCSI I/O Controller Protocol
    Device

    lsdev |grep fcs0
    fcs0 Available 07-08 FC Adapter

    lsdev |grep fcnet0
    fcnet0 Defined 07-08-01 Fibre Channel Network Protocol
    Device

    I dont have to install anything special as its a switched FC
    connection as far as I can remember.

    Regards,
    Scott

  3. Re: 3590-H1A FC + SAN Swich

    "scott" wrote in message
    news:1189520770.536783.210820@y42g2000hsy.googlegr oups.com...
    > On 11 Sep, 12:35, "Stanislaw Zakrzewski" wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> When I directly connect 3590-H1A drive by FC it works fine ans shows up
    >> as
    >> rmnt0 Other FC SCSI Tape Drive device.
    >> But when I connect it through FC swich it appears as
    >> fscsi0 fc scsi i/o controller protocool device.
    >>
    >> I just got infomration that it might be a case of having diferent drivers
    >> for direct FC connestion and for Swiched FC connestion. But I cannot find
    >> any reference to this on IBM support web sites.
    >>
    >> Do anyone had contact witch such solution ? I will apriciate any idea.
    >>
    >> Stan

    > This *may* not be a solution but firstly I think you want to get the
    > drivers for the 3590. Once you have the drivers AIX will recognize it
    > as a 3590 and not a generic device. Try here for the drivers:
    >
    > ftp://index.storsys.ibm.com/
    >
    > then look under 'devdrvr' and 'AIX'. You want the Atape driver I
    > believe (the atldd is for a tape library).
    >
    > Then what I see on my system (note I have 3592 drives but I think the
    > driver is the same)
    >
    > lsdev |grep rmt0
    > rmt0 Available 07-08-02 IBM 3592 Tape Drive (FCP)
    >
    > lsdev |grep fscsi0
    > fscsi0 Available 07-08-02 FC SCSI I/O Controller Protocol
    > Device
    >
    > lsdev |grep fcs0
    > fcs0 Available 07-08 FC Adapter
    >
    > lsdev |grep fcnet0
    > fcnet0 Defined 07-08-01 Fibre Channel Network Protocol
    > Device
    >
    > I dont have to install anything special as its a switched FC
    > connection as far as I can remember.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Scott

    Ok thank you very much for idea, i will work on it.

    Regards
    Stan

+ Reply to Thread