Procedure for replacing hdisk0 - Aix

This is a discussion on Procedure for replacing hdisk0 - Aix ; Our RS6000 is saying that hdisk0 is failing and I have already scheduled with IBM Service to replace the drive. It has been too many years since I last had to replace the boot drive. I know that I have ...

  1. Procedure for replacing hdisk0

    Our RS6000 is saying that hdisk0 is failing and I have already scheduled
    with IBM Service to replace the drive. It has been too many years since
    I last had to replace the boot drive. I know that I have to have
    backups of the non-root directories and a mksysb tape.
    What I don't remember is what needs to be done to remove the drive
    properly from the system and add the new one prior to restoring
    everything. The drive has two volume groups on it: rootvg and datavg.
    datavg is also on hdisk1.
    Does anyone know of a good website with instructions for the procedure?

  2. Re: Procedure for replacing hdisk0

    "Michael W. Ryder" <_mwryder@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > Our RS6000 is saying that hdisk0 is failing and I have already scheduled
    > with IBM Service to replace the drive. It has been too many years since I
    > last had to replace the boot drive. I know that I have to have backups of
    > the non-root directories and a mksysb tape.
    > What I don't remember is what needs to be done to remove the drive
    > properly from the system and add the new one prior to restoring
    > everything. The drive has two volume groups on it: rootvg and datavg.
    > datavg is also on hdisk1.
    > Does anyone know of a good website with instructions for the procedure?

    Good'day Michael

    There is a good section in IBM Red Book e Server Certification Study Guide-
    pSeries AIX System Administration SG24-6191-00 page 130 Section 6.3 Managing
    Physical Volumes.
    http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstract...6191.html?Open

    Hope it assists.

    Basil

  3. Re: Procedure for replacing hdisk0

    Michael W. Ryder wrote:
    > Our RS6000 is saying that hdisk0 is failing and I have already scheduled
    > with IBM Service to replace the drive. It has been too many years since
    > I last had to replace the boot drive. I know that I have to have
    > backups of the non-root directories and a mksysb tape.
    > What I don't remember is what needs to be done to remove the drive
    > properly from the system and add the new one prior to restoring
    > everything. The drive has two volume groups on it: rootvg and datavg.
    > datavg is also on hdisk1.
    > Does anyone know of a good website with instructions for the procedure?

    Hi,

    wait a moment: Is hdisk0 the only disk in rootvg?
    Try a "lspv".
    If hdisk0 is the only rootvg disk, then you must do a mksysb to tape,
    halt the machine, replace the disk, restore mksysb from tape to the new
    disk.

    If the disk hdisk0 is only alerting a "predictive error" and all blocks
    are readable, you can migrate the system disk hdisk0 to the new disk
    on the fly (if the new disk is hot-pluggable).

    --jk

  4. Re: Procedure for replacing hdisk0

    Johann Kappacher wrote:
    > Michael W. Ryder wrote:
    >> Our RS6000 is saying that hdisk0 is failing and I have already
    >> scheduled with IBM Service to replace the drive. It has been too many
    >> years since I last had to replace the boot drive. I know that I have
    >> to have backups of the non-root directories and a mksysb tape.
    >> What I don't remember is what needs to be done to remove the drive
    >> properly from the system and add the new one prior to restoring
    >> everything. The drive has two volume groups on it: rootvg and datavg.
    >> datavg is also on hdisk1.
    >> Does anyone know of a good website with instructions for the procedure?

    > Hi,
    >
    > wait a moment: Is hdisk0 the only disk in rootvg?
    > Try a "lspv".
    > If hdisk0 is the only rootvg disk, then you must do a mksysb to tape,
    > halt the machine, replace the disk, restore mksysb from tape to the new
    > disk.
    >
    > If the disk hdisk0 is only alerting a "predictive error" and all blocks
    > are readable, you can migrate the system disk hdisk0 to the new disk
    > on the fly (if the new disk is hot-pluggable).
    >
    > --jk

    I managed to do a successful replacement of the hard disk yesterday.
    Rootvg included a number of data directories as it was the only hard
    drive in the computer for a while. What I ended up doing was backing up
    the data directories then unmounting them and doing a mksysb. Once the
    drive was replaced I restored the mksysb. I then had to remove the
    logical volumes for the data and then using SMIT add them back in and
    set up the file systems. Finally I replaced the data directories from
    the backup tape and everything was fine.
    It took a bit longer than I expected as I forgot the order to do a
    couple of the steps and had to redo them. I didn't do a mksysb of the
    entire rootvg as it would not fit on a single 8mm tape and I had already
    backed up the data in a separate backup.

+ Reply to Thread