private vlan between two lpars within hmc - Aix

This is a discussion on private vlan between two lpars within hmc - Aix ; Hi, I have two 570's within the same managed system. I want to create a vlan directly between these two hosts only. Once I create the virtual adapters on both HMC profiles with the same PVID, then stop/start the lpar ...

  1. private vlan between two lpars within hmc

    Hi,

    I have two 570's within the same managed system.
    I want to create a vlan directly between these two hosts only.

    Once I create the virtual adapters on both HMC profiles with the same
    PVID, then stop/start the lpar so that aix sees then, now here is
    where I get lost...

    Do I then assign private IP addresses, then add a routes to both
    adapters. or do I do something else.

    Thanks
    Pete

  2. Re: private vlan between two lpars within hmc

    pete wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have two 570's within the same managed system.

    Two LPARs inside the same p570 system.
    > I want to create a vlan directly between these two hosts only.
    >
    > Once I create the virtual adapters on both HMC profiles with the same
    > PVID, then stop/start the lpar

    If you want to do static LPAR operations instead of DLPAR, then YES.
    Caution: You need shutdown -h + Activate_LPAR , shutdown -r does not work.
    so that aix sees then,
    AIX only needs a "cfgmgr" (rescan of devices, nothing more)
    Perhaps, you can see now a new virtual ent3 adapter.
    Try lsdev -Ccadapter (or even better: lsslot -c slot).
    >now here is where I get lost...

    What is your specific question?
    You are ready for assigning a private IP to your private interfaces!

    > Do I then assign private IP addresses, then add a routes to both
    > adapters. or do I do something else.

    Think of using a virtual (private) LAN switch.
    You will get a Virtual entX (e.g. ent3) adpater, and you will assign
    a reserved private Ip address 10.1.2.3 to Interface en3.

    > Thanks
    > Pete

    Hope I could help you,
    John