UCLA SEAS Open Source Repository -- The end of an era. - Aix

This is a discussion on UCLA SEAS Open Source Repository -- The end of an era. - Aix ; This was a wonderful service. Does anyone have an alternate site for the sources that were retained at UCLA. The sites they reference below are not kept current. Thank your UCLA, for your long dedication of service. Always reliable. Farewell ...

  1. UCLA SEAS Open Source Repository -- The end of an era.

    This was a wonderful service. Does anyone have an alternate site for
    the sources
    that were retained at UCLA. The sites they reference below are not
    kept current.
    Thank your UCLA, for your long dedication of service. Always
    reliable.

    Farewell http://aixpdslib.seas.ucla.edu/
    -----------------------
    Public Domain Software Library for AIX
    The Henry Samueli School of Engineering & Applied Science
    University of California, LOS ANGELES
    NOTICE
    This site was retired on September 4, 2007. You may wish to check out
    other sites that distribute Open Source packages for AIX, such as
    http://www.ibm.com/servers/aix/products/aixos/linux or
    http://www.bullfreeware.com

    although content will vary from what was available on the retired
    AIXPDS site.
    These sites are not affiliated with the UCLA AIXPDS site.
    --------------------------

  2. Re: UCLA SEAS Open Source Repository -- The end of an era.

    dickd schrieb:
    > This was a wonderful service. Does anyone have an alternate site for
    > the sources
    > that were retained at UCLA. The sites they reference below are not
    > kept current.
    > Thank your UCLA, for your long dedication of service. Always
    > reliable.

    That's certainly bad news. The IBM and Bull sites are no substitute,
    since UCLA kept much more soft, and for all AIX versions.
    Moreover, UCLA packaging allowed installation apart from /usr, w/o root
    privileges. It's not nice they didn't warn people before, that the site
    would go down. A few weeks ago I thought to run a wget against it,
    just in case. Now the case is there, and no wget :-(

  3. Re: UCLA SEAS Open Source Repository -- The end of an era.

    On Sep 5, 10:28 pm, dickd wrote:
    > This was a wonderful service. Does anyone have an alternate site for
    > the sources
    > that were retained at UCLA. The sites they reference below are not
    > kept current.
    > Thank your UCLA, for your long dedication of service. Always
    > reliable.
    >
    > Farewell http://aixpdslib.seas.ucla.edu/
    > -----------------------
    > Public Domain Software Library for AIX
    > The Henry Samueli School of Engineering & Applied Science
    > University of California, LOS ANGELES
    > NOTICE
    > This site was retired on September 4, 2007. You may wish to check out
    > other sites that distribute Open Source packages for AIX, such ashttp://www.ibm.com/servers/aix/products/aixos/linuxorhttp://www.bullfreeware.com
    >
    > although content will vary from what was available on the retired
    > AIXPDS site.
    > These sites are not affiliated with the UCLA AIXPDS site.
    > --------------------------

    It is indeed a loss.

    Usage of these softwares, not only in a development environment but
    also in a production environment, on AIX, is a fact.

    There is http://www.ibm.com/servers/aix/products/aixos/linux, also the
    Web Download Pack and the Expansion Packs, but a more up to date and
    complete best effort port (by IBM) is missing (funding or legal?).

    Bernard Dhooghe

  4. Re: UCLA SEAS Open Source Repository -- The end of an era.

    dickd schrieb:
    > This was a wonderful service. Does anyone have an alternate site for
    > the sources
    > that were retained at UCLA.

    About a year ago or so I saved some 50 packages which seemed
    interesting to me, but this is of course almost nothing compared to the
    size of the original repository.
    Their HTML pages can still be found at webarchive.org,
    but probably not much of the stuff itself. Filewatcher doesn't
    give me any mirror sites, unfortunately.
    Maybe somebody close to UCLA can ask them for their backup tapes :-)

  5. Re: UCLA SEAS Open Source Repository -- The end of an era.

    Michael Kraemer wrote:
    > dickd schrieb:
    >> This was a wonderful service. Does anyone have an alternate site for
    >> the sources
    >> that were retained at UCLA.

    > About a year ago or so I saved some 50 packages which seemed
    > interesting to me, but this is of course almost nothing compared to the
    > size of the original repository.
    > Their HTML pages can still be found at webarchive.org,
    > but probably not much of the stuff itself. Filewatcher doesn't
    > give me any mirror sites, unfortunately.
    > Maybe somebody close to UCLA can ask them for their backup tapes :-)

    Does anyone know why they did this?

  6. Re: UCLA SEAS Open Source Repository -- The end of an era.

    In article , sol gongola writes:
    > Does anyone know why they did this?

    no clue.
    Maybe they quit AIX so they see no reason to keep that stuff.
    OTOH, they were rather active (as compared to Bull or IBM) until
    recently. ISTR that I visited the site just 3 weeks ago,
    and I can't remember signs of decline, i.e. non-updates for ages etc.
    Which normally happens long before a site goes down.
    So the grace period was rather short, me thinks.
    At least the pages pointing to where they got the sources from
    can probably be retrieved from the webarchive.

  7. Re: UCLA SEAS Open Source Repository -- The end of an era.

    m.kraemer@gsi.de (Michael Kraemer) writes:

    >At least the pages pointing to where they got the sources from
    >can probably be retrieved from the webarchive.

    I got most of the 3.2.5 and 4.1 binary stuff. I may put it up somewhere
    if there is significant interest.

    --
    Cameron Kaiser * ckaiser@floodgap.com * posting with a Commodore 128
    personal page: http://www.cameronkaiser.com/

  8. Re: UCLA SEAS Open Source Repository -- The end of an era.

    On Sep 6, 9:49 pm, Cameron Kaiser wrote:
    > m.krae...@gsi.de (Michael Kraemer) writes:
    > >At least the pages pointing to where they got the sources from
    > >can probably be retrieved from the webarchive.

    > I got most of the 3.2.5 and 4.1 binary stuff. I may put it up somewhere
    > if there is significant interest.
    >
    > --
    > Cameron Kaiser * ckai...@floodgap.com * posting with a Commodore 128
    > personal page:http://www.cameronkaiser.com/
    > ** Computer Workshops: games, productivity software and more for C64/128! **
    > **http://www.armory.com/%7Espectre/cwi/**

    Hello Cameron.....

    I would be happy to get any 3.2.5 files that you have....I just spent
    a couple of years getting 3.2.5 running nicely on a couple of 7011 &
    7012 machines (many thanks to Rick Ekblaw). I could give you an
    installation CD for the proprietary 3.2.5 that only runs on a 7007-N40
    in return if you like.

    CT

+ Reply to Thread