why /u link on AIX - Aix

This is a discussion on why /u link on AIX - Aix ; I've recently been involved in a deletion disaster indirectly caused by /u. Because mount points were created using /u/ data in the path of home. Does anyone know why /u is included in the base install of AIX and or ...

  1. why /u link on AIX

    I've recently been involved in a deletion disaster indirectly caused
    by /u. Because mount points were created using /u/ data in the path of
    home.

    Does anyone know why /u is included in the base install of AIX and or
    what it's used for if at all by the OS?

  2. Re: why /u link on AIX

    mbuilt@gmail.com wrote:

    > I've recently been involved in a deletion disaster indirectly caused
    > by /u. Because mount points were created using /u/ data in the path of
    > home.
    >
    > Does anyone know why /u is included in the base install of AIX and or
    > what it's used for if at all by the OS?

    This comes from an increasingly rusty memory,
    but as I recall /u was the default filesystem
    for $HOME directories in AIX v3. IBM tries to
    be upwards compatible, so when the standard
    changed to /home (because of POSIX?) AIX (in v4?)
    started using /home for $HOME directories and
    created a link from /u to /home for various old
    products & documentation.

    Paul Landay

+ Reply to Thread