reading /dev/nvram - Aix

This is a discussion on reading /dev/nvram - Aix ; Hello, I'd like to get VPD of all available parts of machines, something similar to section "PLATFORM SPECIFIC" of command lscfg -vp or something like lsvpd. How can this be done? I can't find anything helpful in IBM's documents, it ...

  1. reading /dev/nvram

    Hello,

    I'd like to get VPD of all available parts of machines, something similar to
    section "PLATFORM SPECIFIC" of command lscfg -vp or something like lsvpd.
    How can this be done? I can't find anything helpful in IBM's documents, it
    seems that few ioctls and structures from could be useful, but
    it seems there are no FMA (Fine/Friendly Manuals Available). Is there a
    book, document, source code, virtualy anything that will help me?

    Thanks in advance,
    JD

  2. Re: reading /dev/nvram

    On Sep 1, 5:07 am, "Jedrzej Dudkiewicz"
    wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I'd like to get VPD of all available parts of machines, something similar to
    > section "PLATFORM SPECIFIC" of command lscfg -vp or something like lsvpd.
    > How can this be done? I can't find anything helpful in IBM's documents, it
    > seems that few ioctls and structures from could be useful, but
    > it seems there are no FMA (Fine/Friendly Manuals Available). Is there a
    > book, document, source code, virtualy anything that will help me?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > JD

    do you have an HMC because that has a VPD gathering tool; which runs
    invscout (separate installation package) on all the LPAR's.
    Unbelievably this must be output to a DOS-formatted floppy!

  3. Re: reading /dev/nvram

    "Henry" wrote in message
    news:1188863844.370301.90200@w3g2000hsg.googlegrou ps.com...
    > On Sep 1, 5:07 am, "Jedrzej Dudkiewicz"
    > wrote:
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > I'd like to get VPD of all available parts of machines, something

    similar to
    > > section "PLATFORM SPECIFIC" of command lscfg -vp or something like

    lsvpd.
    > > How can this be done? I can't find anything helpful in IBM's documents,

    it
    > > seems that few ioctls and structures from could be useful,

    but
    > > it seems there are no FMA (Fine/Friendly Manuals Available). Is there a
    > > book, document, source code, virtualy anything that will help me?
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance,
    > > JD

    > do you have an HMC because that has a VPD gathering tool;

    I want to do it in my own program without calling any external tools. It
    seems that on CHRP it can be read through file /dev/nvram - I suppose so, as
    opening /dev/nvram, issuing MIOIPLCB with MACH_DD_IO structure as an
    argument and printing buffer shows, that this information is there - but I
    can't use block that I read, since I don't know it's structure. Also truss
    lscfg shows, that lscfg also peeks and pokes /dev/nvram - so I suppose it's
    a good direction, but I need some documentation. I got CHRP specification
    from IBM's ftp, but I can't figure out how information there maps to AIX's
    calls/structures.

    Once again, any help will be appreciated. Even redirection to other
    group(s).

    JD

+ Reply to Thread