Newbie guidance, access to 9111-520 via serial port - Aix

This is a discussion on Newbie guidance, access to 9111-520 via serial port - Aix ; Hi, We acquired a reconditioned 9111-520 rackmount for a test, it has AIX 5.3 preinstalled. It does not have video card and I am trying to get it up and running with initial access and troubleshooting via the serial port. ...

  1. Newbie guidance, access to 9111-520 via serial port

    Hi,

    We acquired a reconditioned 9111-520 rackmount for a test, it has AIX
    5.3 preinstalled. It does not have video card and I am trying to get
    it up and running with initial access and troubleshooting via the
    serial port.

    This system has a HMC box on the front panel with a RJ-45 input that I
    presume is a serial (?)
    It also has T1 and T2 DB9 ports on the back which I presume are also
    serial (?)

    I've tried hooking up what I believe to be a null-modem DB9->RJ-45
    serial cable from hyperterminal on Windows to the RJ-45 port on the
    front of the machine, using the settings I have seen suggested
    elsewhere (9600/8/N/1), but I don't recieve anything. It could be a
    dodgy cable (untested elsewhere).

    The big question is, what should I be seeing over the serial line when
    it works? Should it report anything during initial startup (whilst the
    Cxxxxxxxx progress codes are coming), or only when AIX has loaded?

    Also can anyone point me to the documentation which describes the
    front panel HMC meaning when it says something like:

    01 M V=F

    Thanks for any suggestions,
    Phil

  2. Re: Newbie guidance, access to 9111-520 via serial port

    On Aug 27, 9:02 am, Phil wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > We acquired a reconditioned 9111-520 rackmount for a test, it has AIX
    > 5.3 preinstalled. It does not have video card and I am trying to get
    > it up and running with initial access and troubleshooting via the
    > serial port.
    >
    > This system has a HMC box on the front panel with a RJ-45 input that I
    > presume is a serial (?)
    > It also has T1 and T2 DB9 ports on the back which I presume are also
    > serial (?)
    >
    > I've tried hooking up what I believe to be a null-modem DB9->RJ-45
    > serial cable from hyperterminal on Windows to the RJ-45 port on the
    > front of the machine, using the settings I have seen suggested
    > elsewhere (9600/8/N/1), but I don't recieve anything. It could be a
    > dodgy cable (untested elsewhere).
    >
    > The big question is, what should I be seeing over the serial line when
    > it works? Should it report anything during initial startup (whilst the
    > Cxxxxxxxx progress codes are coming), or only when AIX has loaded?
    >
    > Also can anyone point me to the documentation which describes the
    > front panel HMC meaning when it says something like:
    >
    > 01 M V=F
    >
    > Thanks for any suggestions,
    > Phil

    Your 9111-520 requires 19200 baud, not 9600.
    I have always used the serial connection on the back.

  3. Re: Newbie guidance, access to 9111-520 via serial port

    On Aug 27, 9:02 am, Phil wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > We acquired a reconditioned 9111-520 rackmount for a test, it has AIX
    > 5.3 preinstalled. It does not have video card and I am trying to get
    > it up and running with initial access and troubleshooting via the
    > serial port.
    >
    > This system has a HMC box on the front panel with a RJ-45 input that I
    > presume is a serial (?)
    > It also has T1 and T2 DB9 ports on the back which I presume are also
    > serial (?)
    >
    > I've tried hooking up what I believe to be a null-modem DB9->RJ-45
    > serial cable from hyperterminal on Windows to the RJ-45 port on the
    > front of the machine, using the settings I have seen suggested
    > elsewhere (9600/8/N/1), but I don't recieve anything. It could be a
    > dodgy cable (untested elsewhere).
    >
    > The big question is, what should I be seeing over the serial line when
    > it works? Should it report anything during initial startup (whilst the
    > Cxxxxxxxx progress codes are coming), or only when AIX has loaded?
    >
    > Also can anyone point me to the documentation which describes the
    > front panel HMC meaning when it says something like:
    >
    > 01 M V=F
    >
    > Thanks for any suggestions,
    > Phil

    Here's an alternative solution to access the ASMI menu:
    http://www.pseriestech.org/forum/pse...laptop-96.html

    Here's a link to specific pSeries hardware:
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...v5r3/index.jsp

  4. Re: Newbie guidance, access to 9111-520 via serial port

    On Aug 29, 10:37 pm, "dig1tal.coo...@gmail.com"
    wrote:
    > On Aug 27, 9:02 am, Phil wrote:
    >

    > > Hi,

    > > We acquired a reconditioned 9111-520 rackmount for a test, it has AIX
    > > 5.3 preinstalled. It does not have video card and I am trying to get
    > > it up and running with initial access and troubleshooting via the
    > > serial port.

    > > This system has a HMC box on the front panel with a RJ-45 input that I
    > > presume is a serial (?)
    > > It also has T1 and T2 DB9 ports on the back which I presume are also
    > > serial (?)

    > > I've tried hooking up what I believe to be a null-modem DB9->RJ-45
    > > serial cable from hyperterminal on Windows to the RJ-45 port on the
    > > front of the machine, using the settings I have seen suggested
    > > elsewhere (9600/8/N/1), but I don't recieve anything. It could be a
    > > dodgy cable (untested elsewhere).

    > > The big question is, what should I be seeing over the serial line when
    > > it works? Should it report anything during initial startup (whilst the
    > > Cxxxxxxxx progress codes are coming), or only when AIX has loaded?

    > > Also can anyone point me to the documentation which describes the
    > > front panel HMC meaning when it says something like:

    > > 01 M V=F

    > > Thanks for any suggestions,
    > > Phil

    > Here's an alternative solution to access the ASMI menu:http://www.pseriestech.org/forum/pse...ectivity-via-l...
    >
    > Here's a link to specific pSeries hardware:http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...v5r3/index.jsp

    Thanks both, I now have access to ASMI which is really great, lots of
    info to absorb here.

    Basically I am trying to troubleshoot a 0557 bootup problem
    (ROOT_MNT_FAILED) whilst AIX is loading. I think to troubleshoot this
    on a software/configuration level I need to interrupt the boot
    process, I can see in ASMI that I can boot to open firmware or the SMS
    menu, which both sound useful. So I reckon I still need the serial
    access to the console. Unless there's a way to get console over the
    HMC network port somehow?

    I found a DB9->RJ45 cable that _almost_ works on the RJ45 serial port
    on the Operator Panel, around A00E1F1 at the time of the speaker test
    I get the famous IBM IBM IBM and some bootup info, but it is randomly
    garbled and I am missing a lot of info, I can see fragments of an
    options screen but cannot interact. I guess I will have to find a new
    cable.

    Phil

  5. Re: Newbie guidance, access to 9111-520 via serial port

    On Aug 31, 5:18 pm, Phil wrote:
    > On Aug 29, 10:37 pm, "dig1tal.coo...@gmail.com"
    >

    > wrote:
    > > On Aug 27, 9:02 am, Phil wrote:

    > > > Hi,

    > > > We acquired a reconditioned 9111-520 rackmount for a test, it has AIX
    > > > 5.3 preinstalled. It does not have video card and I am trying to get
    > > > it up and running with initial access and troubleshooting via the
    > > > serial port.

    > > > This system has a HMC box on the front panel with a RJ-45 input that I
    > > > presume is a serial (?)
    > > > It also has T1 and T2 DB9 ports on the back which I presume are also
    > > > serial (?)

    > > > I've tried hooking up what I believe to be a null-modem DB9->RJ-45
    > > > serial cable from hyperterminal on Windows to the RJ-45 port on the
    > > > front of the machine, using the settings I have seen suggested
    > > > elsewhere (9600/8/N/1), but I don't recieve anything. It could be a
    > > > dodgy cable (untested elsewhere).

    > > > The big question is, what should I be seeing over the serial line when
    > > > it works? Should it report anything during initial startup (whilst the
    > > > Cxxxxxxxx progress codes are coming), or only when AIX has loaded?

    > > > Also can anyone point me to the documentation which describes the
    > > > front panel HMC meaning when it says something like:

    > > > 01 M V=F

    > > > Thanks for any suggestions,
    > > > Phil

    > > Here's an alternative solution to access the ASMI menu:http://www.pseriestech.org/forum/pse...ectivity-via-l...

    > > Here's a link to specific pSeries hardware:http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...v5r3/index.jsp

    > Thanks both, I now have access to ASMI which is really great, lots of
    > info to absorb here.
    >
    > Basically I am trying to troubleshoot a 0557 bootup problem
    > (ROOT_MNT_FAILED) whilst AIX is loading. I think to troubleshoot this
    > on a software/configuration level I need to interrupt the boot
    > process, I can see in ASMI that I can boot to open firmware or the SMS
    > menu, which both sound useful. So I reckon I still need the serial
    > access to the console. Unless there's a way to get console over the
    > HMC network port somehow?
    >
    > I found a DB9->RJ45 cable that _almost_ works on the RJ45 serial port
    > on the Operator Panel, around A00E1F1 at the time of the speaker test
    > I get the famous IBM IBM IBM and some bootup info, but it is randomly
    > garbled and I am missing a lot of info, I can see fragments of an
    > options screen but cannot interact. I guess I will have to find a new
    > cable.
    >
    > Phil

    I acquired a fresh null DB9-DB9 modem cable and now have proper
    working console access via the back serial port T1.

    (For anyone reading this thread my use of the term HMC in my first
    post was incorrect, I was meant to call it the Operator Panel).

    Thanks,
    Phil

  6. Re: Newbie guidance, access to 9111-520 via serial port

    On Aug 31, 4:18 pm, Phil wrote:

    > Basically I am trying to troubleshoot a 0557 bootup problem
    > (ROOT_MNT_FAILED) whilst AIX is loading. I think to troubleshoot this
    > on a software/configuration level I need to interrupt the boot
    > process, I can see in ASMI that I can boot to open firmware or the SMS
    > menu, which both sound useful. So I reckon I still need the serial
    > access to the console. Unless there's a way to get console over the
    > HMC network port somehow?

    Well, it looks like there's something wrong with the root file system
    on that box. You might be able to boot it into service mode, but I
    would just reinstall AIX on it (presuming you have media). If there's
    stuff on there that you desperately want to keep, then boot off an AIX
    CD, follow the menus to "Access a root volume group" and run fsck on
    all the file systems, then a bosboot -a for good measure and hopefully
    it'll come up. While you're booted from the CD, blank out the root
    password in /etc/security/passwd as is usual for second-hand
    installations.

    > I found a DB9->RJ45 cable that _almost_ works on the RJ45 serial port
    > on the Operator Panel, around A00E1F1 at the time of the speaker test
    > I get the famous IBM IBM IBM and some bootup info, but it is randomly
    > garbled and I am missing a lot of info, I can see fragments of an
    > options screen but cannot interact. I guess I will have to find a new
    > cable.

    AIX boxen are a bit particular about what cable you use. It has to
    carry all the hardware handshaking signals or fake them. I carry a
    null modem cable for console access.

    Good luck!

    Menno

  7. Re: Newbie guidance, access to 9111-520 via serial port

    Thanks for the tips. I'll try the recovery option first (I haven't
    done an AIX install before and don't want to mess up what I presume is
    a well-installed system

    Phil

    On Sep 3, 3:30 pm, Menno Willemse wrote:
    > Well, it looks like there's something wrong with the root file system
    > on that box. You might be able to boot it into service mode, but I
    > would just reinstall AIX on it (presuming you have media). If there's
    > stuff on there that you desperately want to keep, then boot off an AIX
    > CD, follow the menus to "Access a root volume group" and run fsck on
    > all the file systems, then a bosboot -a for good measure and hopefully
    > it'll come up. While you're booted from the CD, blank out the root
    > password in /etc/security/passwd as is usual for second-hand
    > installations.

  8. Re: Newbie guidance, access to 9111-520 via serial port

    I've been doing AIX for years and have alway had problems connecting
    through the console. I finally got the time to do some research. I
    have a two "null modem" cables that work. The pinouts on both are as
    follows:

    1-1
    2-5/9
    3-4
    4-3
    5-2
    7-8
    8-7
    9-2

    This is different from any pinout I find referenced. The Full
    Handshaking pinout(which I assume is what AIX needs) is:

    2-3
    3-2
    4-6
    5-5
    6-4
    7-8
    8-7

    Anyone have any idea whats going on here?

    Gary

    On Aug 27, 7:02 am, Phil wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > We acquired a reconditioned 9111-520 rackmount for a test, it has AIX
    > 5.3 preinstalled. It does not have video card and I am trying to get
    > it up and running with initial access and troubleshooting via the
    > serial port.
    >
    > This system has a HMC box on the front panel with a RJ-45 input that I
    > presume is a serial (?)
    > It also has T1 and T2 DB9 ports on the back which I presume are also
    > serial (?)
    >
    > I've tried hooking up what I believe to be anull-modemDB9->RJ-45
    > serial cable from hyperterminal on Windows to the RJ-45 port on the
    > front of the machine, using the settings I have seen suggested
    > elsewhere (9600/8/N/1), but I don't recieve anything. It could be a
    > dodgy cable (untested elsewhere).
    >
    > The big question is, what should I be seeing over the serial line when
    > it works? Should it report anything during initial startup (whilst the
    > Cxxxxxxxx progress codes are coming), or only when AIX has loaded?
    >
    > Also can anyone point me to the documentation which describes the
    > front panel HMC meaning when it says something like:
    >
    > 01 M V=F
    >
    > Thanks for any suggestions,
    > Phil

  9. Re: Newbie guidance, access to 9111-520 via serial port

    On Sep 20, 12:07 am, Phil wrote:
    > Thanks for the tips. I'll try the recovery option first (I haven't
    > done an AIX install before and don't want to mess up what I presume is
    > a well-installed system

    I don't think your presumption is accurate, a 557 indicates not.

+ Reply to Thread