KVM siwtch - keyboard doesn't work - Aix

This is a discussion on KVM siwtch - keyboard doesn't work - Aix ; Hello, I just recieved my KVM switch, isntalled it and booted my RS/6000 and my PC. It seemed to work great but I noticed that the keycodes (or whatever) were totally messed up on the rs/6000. The arrow keys now ...

  1. KVM siwtch - keyboard doesn't work

    Hello,
    I just recieved my KVM switch, isntalled it and booted my RS/6000 and
    my PC.
    It seemed to work great but I noticed that the keycodes (or whatever)
    were totally messed up on the rs/6000. The arrow keys now prints 2 4 6
    8 and scroll lock (which I need to switch) prints * and so on....
    During the boot process everything worked just as it should but from
    the dtlogin everything was messed up. I tried a console login but that
    ddn't change anything.

    So it seems to be a software problem, any solutions?

  2. Re: KVM siwtch - keyboard doesn't work

    On Aug 25, 6:16 am, "kotzkro...@gmail.com"
    wrote:
    > Hello,
    > I just recieved my KVM switch, isntalled it and booted my RS/6000 and
    > my PC.
    > It seemed to work great but I noticed that the keycodes (or whatever)
    > were totally messed up on the rs/6000. The arrow keys now prints 2 4 6
    > 8 and scroll lock (which I need to switch) prints * and so on....
    > During the boot process everything worked just as it should but from
    > the dtlogin everything was messed up. I tried a console login but that
    > ddn't change anything.
    >
    > So it seems to be a software problem, any solutions?

    I am using a Raritan Switchman 4-holer with 3 RS/6000 machines and a
    Windows machine (AIX 5.2/4.3.3/3.2.5/Windows98se) and have experienced
    no problems such as you have. What KVM switch are you using?

    CT

  3. Re: KVM siwtch - keyboard doesn't work

    On Aug 25, 5:02 pm, Tim Knight wrote:
    > On Aug 25, 6:16 am, "kotzkro...@gmail.com"
    > wrote:
    >
    > > Hello,
    > > I just recieved my KVM switch, isntalled it and booted my RS/6000 and
    > > my PC.
    > > It seemed to work great but I noticed that the keycodes (or whatever)
    > > were totally messed up on the rs/6000. The arrow keys now prints 2 4 6
    > > 8 and scroll lock (which I need to switch) prints * and so on....
    > > During the boot process everything worked just as it should but from
    > > the dtlogin everything was messed up. I tried a console login but that
    > > ddn't change anything.

    > > So it seems to be a software problem, any solutions?

    > I am using a Raritan Switchman 4-holer with 3 RS/6000 machines and a
    > Windows machine (AIX 5.2/4.3.3/3.2.5/Windows98se) and have experienced
    > no problems such as you have. What KVM switch are you using?
    >
    > CT

    Hm, the box says: Mini KVM Switch CBL-102

  4. Re: KVM siwtch - keyboard doesn't work

    On Aug 25, 11:19 am, "kotzkro...@gmail.com"
    wrote:
    > On Aug 25, 5:02 pm, Tim Knight wrote:
    >

    > > On Aug 25, 6:16 am, "kotzkro...@gmail.com"
    > > wrote:

    > > > Hello,
    > > > I just recieved my KVM switch, isntalled it and booted my RS/6000 and
    > > > my PC.
    > > > It seemed to work great but I noticed that the keycodes (or whatever)
    > > > were totally messed up on the rs/6000. The arrow keys now prints 2 4 6
    > > > 8 and scroll lock (which I need to switch) prints * and so on....
    > > > During the boot process everything worked just as it should but from
    > > > the dtlogin everything was messed up. I tried a console login but that
    > > > ddn't change anything.

    > > > So it seems to be a software problem, any solutions?

    > > I am using a Raritan Switchman 4-holer with 3 RS/6000 machines and a
    > > Windows machine (AIX 5.2/4.3.3/3.2.5/Windows98se) and have experienced
    > > no problems such as you have. What KVM switch are you using?

    > > CT

    > Hm, the box says: Mini KVM Switch CBL-102- Hide quoted text -

    I did some Googling and based upon what I found, I would recommend
    abandoning the KVM switch you have (temporarily) and go with a known
    quantity such as a Raritan, which can be found on Ebay quite cheaply.
    Also, before I purchased another, I would check for RS/6000
    compatability with anything I added to my system.....at least check
    with the AIX group before.

    Hindsight is always 20/20.....but the only KVM switch I have ever used
    is the Raritan Switchman and it has been very dependable.

    CT

  5. Re: KVM siwtch - keyboard doesn't work

    On Aug 25, 9:00 pm, Tim Knight wrote:
    > On Aug 25, 11:19 am, "kotzkro...@gmail.com"
    > wrote:
    >

    > > On Aug 25, 5:02 pm, Tim Knight wrote:

    > > > I am using a Raritan Switchman 4-holer with 3 RS/6000 machines and a
    > > > Windows machine (AIX 5.2/4.3.3/3.2.5/Windows98se) and have experienced
    > > > no problems such as you have. What KVM switch are you using?

    > > > CT

    > > Hm, the box says: Mini KVM Switch CBL-102- Hide quoted text -

    > I did some Googling and based upon what I found, I would recommend
    > abandoning the KVM switch you have (temporarily) and go with a known
    > quantity such as a Raritan, which can be found on Ebay quite cheaply.
    > Also, before I purchased another, I would check for RS/6000
    > compatability with anything I added to my system.....at least check
    > with the AIX group before.
    >
    > Hindsight is always 20/20.....but the only KVM switch I have ever used
    > is the Raritan Switchman and it has been very dependable.

    I didn't know that a KVM is not necessaryly compatible with a computer
    so I bought just anyone....
    Hm, then I'll have to get another :/

  6. Re: KVM siwtch - keyboard doesn't work

    kotzkroete@gmail.com schrieb:

    > I didn't know that a KVM is not necessaryly compatible with a computer
    > so I bought just anyone....
    > Hm, then I'll have to get another :/

    At least RS/6000s under AIX 3 and 4 don't like it
    when mouse and/or keyboard are disconnected in full run.
    The symptoms are similar to what you describe
    (special keys not working etc)
    IIRC a workaround to restore proper operation
    w/o reboot is to run keyboard/mouse diagnostics.

    With a cheap PC KVM you may be in the same situation,
    every time you switch you disconnect the keyboard.
    An "RS/6000-aware" KVM like the one mentioned might somehow compensate
    for that, but these parts aren't cheap, IIRC.
    Might as well cost as much as your hobbyist box.
    Therefore I use KVMs only for video signals
    and otherwise use original keyboards and mice.

  7. Re: KVM siwtch - keyboard doesn't work

    On Aug 26, 11:24 am, Michael Kraemer wrote:
    > kotzkro...@gmail.com schrieb:
    >
    > > I didn't know that a KVM is not necessaryly compatible with a computer
    > > so I bought just anyone....
    > > Hm, then I'll have to get another :/

    > At least RS/6000s under AIX 3 and 4 don't like it
    > when mouse and/or keyboard are disconnected in full run.
    > The symptoms are similar to what you describe
    > (special keys not working etc)
    > IIRC a workaround to restore proper operation
    > w/o reboot is to run keyboard/mouse diagnostics.
    >
    > With a cheap PC KVM you may be in the same situation,
    > every time you switch you disconnect the keyboard.
    > An "RS/6000-aware" KVM like the one mentioned might somehow compensate
    > for that, but these parts aren't cheap, IIRC.
    > Might as well cost as much as your hobbyist box.
    > Therefore I use KVMs only for video signals
    > and otherwise use original keyboards and mice.

    Well, actually having the 2 keyboards is the most annoying part. Plus
    I only have one US keyboard (I live in germany). And writing with a
    german keyboard but with US layout is confusing. I could use the US
    keyboard but Aix doesn't like it (It only displayed a green hardware
    cursor, didn't even start X) , maybe because of the USB->PS2 adapter
    (USB mice and keyboards are a disease), it worked better with the KVM
    switch :/ but then the layout got screwed up

    Oh, and by the way, how can I configure the mousewheel of my mouse? I
    have no idea and no one replied to my topic

  8. Re: KVM siwtch - keyboard doesn't work

    kotzkroete@gmail.com schrieb:

    > Well, actually having the 2 keyboards is the most annoying part. Plus
    > I only have one US keyboard (I live in germany). And writing with a
    > german keyboard but with US layout is confusing. I could use the US
    > keyboard but Aix doesn't like it (It only displayed a green hardware
    > cursor, didn't even start X) , maybe because of the USB->PS2 adapter
    > (USB mice and keyboards are a disease), it worked better with the KVM
    > switch :/ but then the layout got screwed up
    >
    > Oh, and by the way, how can I configure the mousewheel of my mouse? I
    > have no idea and no one replied to my topic

    I'd suggest to pick up original PS/2 US keyboard and three button mouse
    to get things started on your box. Maybe some kind soul in your
    home unixforum has some spares left over (I might have at least
    one such a keyboard in my hardware pile).
    AFAIK there's nothing to configure for a mouse,
    it's either recognized by the system (at installation) or not.
    In the latter case you're out of luck.
    Again I'd suggest to forget about "modern" replacements
    for the original IBM parts.
    Native USB support exists for e.g. the latest IntelliStations,
    but not for the older gear.

+ Reply to Thread