increase hdisk "on the fly" - Aix

This is a discussion on increase hdisk "on the fly" - Aix ; Hello, AIX 5.3 TL6 DS4300 VIOS What is the best practice to increase hdisk capacity on the fly in lpar ? DS4300 [LUN] ----- vios [hdisk -> vhdisk] ------ lpar [hdisk] 1. When I increase LUN size, do I have ...

  1. increase hdisk "on the fly"

    Hello,

    AIX 5.3 TL6
    DS4300
    VIOS

    What is the best practice to increase hdisk capacity on the fly in
    lpar ?

    DS4300 [LUN] ----- vios [hdisk -> vhdisk] ------ lpar [hdisk]

    1. When I increase LUN size, do I have to refresh configuration on
    vios ?
    2. Do I have to reboot partition ?
    3. What are the best steps to do this with the smallest system
    downtime ?

    regards
    Kmet

  2. Re: increase hdisk "on the fly"

    On 24 Aug, 12:31, Kmet wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > AIX 5.3 TL6
    > DS4300
    > VIOS
    >
    > What is the best practice to increase hdisk capacity on the fly in
    > lpar ?
    >
    > DS4300 [LUN] ----- vios [hdisk -> vhdisk] ------ lpar [hdisk]
    >
    > 1. When I increase LUN size, do I have to refresh configuration on
    > vios ?
    > 2. Do I have to reboot partition ?
    > 3. What are the best steps to do this with the smallest system
    > downtime ?
    >
    > regards
    > Kmet

    First off all it depends on whether you have a VG on the hdisk on the
    VIO server, ie are you using LV's as backing devices or just hdisk.
    If its hdisk then you have more chance of not having to have
    downtime. Here is how you do it when using an hdisk as the backing
    device (so no VG)

    1. expand LUN

    2. on LPAR run 'chvg -v vgname' and it *may* expand the hdisk in the
    VG. If not then you need to varyoff/on the VG.

    If you are using a VG on the VIO server then

    1.expand LUN

    2. Next on VIO you need to run
    chvg -g vgname
    This sometimes picks up the new disk size and sometimes not. You may
    need to varyoff/on the VG for the chvg -g to work.

    3. If it works on the fly you then need to extend the LV backing
    device just like you extend an LV normally.

    4. Next go to the lpar and run chvg -g there as well. again it may or
    may not work on the fly.

    Note that you cant use chvg -g on rootvg and AFAIK you cant resize a
    rootvg disk.

    If it doesnt work on the fly at any point then you need to take the
    appropriate steps to allow you to varyoff/on the VG.

    See man chvg. Even this says you 'might' have to varyoff/on.

    You dont need to reboot at all though. But if you need to varyoff/on
    then of course the VG is gonna be out of action while you do this so
    downtime will be needed.

    Hope that helps.

    Scott

  3. Re: increase hdisk "on the fly"

    > Hope that helps.
    >
    > Scott

    Thanks Scott !

    Unfortunetly chvg -g didn't work. I had to varyoff vg.

    regards

+ Reply to Thread