Very slow CDE - Aix

This is a discussion on Very slow CDE - Aix ; Hello, I'm quite new in the RS/6000 world and just installed AIX 5.3 on my 44p. Unfortunately after configuring TCP/IP it takes hours to get to dtlogin. It seems to be a DNS problem, I set the DNS to 192.168.0.1, ...

  1. Very slow CDE

    Hello,
    I'm quite new in the RS/6000 world and just installed AIX 5.3 on my
    44p.
    Unfortunately after configuring TCP/IP it takes hours to get to
    dtlogin.
    It seems to be a DNS problem, I set the DNS to 192.168.0.1, which is
    my router, and that normaly works (Linux, NetBSD, even Windows :P ).
    So what do I do now? Should I set it to a "real" DNS?
    help appreciated

  2. Re: Very slow CDE

    In article <1187880515.866714.244690@z24g2000prh.googlegroups. com>,
    "kotzkroete@gmail.com" writes:
    > Hello,
    > I'm quite new in the RS/6000 world and just installed AIX 5.3 on my
    > 44p.
    > Unfortunately after configuring TCP/IP it takes hours to get to
    > dtlogin.
    > It seems to be a DNS problem, I set the DNS to 192.168.0.1, which is
    > my router, and that normaly works (Linux, NetBSD, even Windows :P ).
    > So what do I do now? Should I set it to a "real" DNS?
    > help appreciated

    In a similar situation (router has 192.168.1.1) I use

    smitty - Communications Applications and Services - TCP/IP - Minimum
    Configuration & Startup

    and then the nameserver entries

    NAMESERVER
    Internet ADDRESS (dotted decimal) [192.168.1.1]
    DOMAIN Name [-g192.168.1.1]
    Default GATEWAY Address [192.168.1.1]

    thats what goes into /etc/resolv.conf .
    Additionally in /etc/netsvc.conf the line

    hosts=local,bind

    and by convention in /etc/environment

    YPBIND_MAXWAIT=5

    (not sure if this still is necessary in 5.3)

  3. Re: Very slow CDE

    On Aug 23, 5:01 pm, m.krae...@gsi.de (Michael Kraemer) wrote:
    > In article <1187880515.866714.244...@z24g2000prh.googlegroups. com>,
    >
    > "kotzkro...@gmail.com" writes:
    > > Hello,
    > > I'm quite new in the RS/6000 world and just installed AIX 5.3 on my
    > > 44p.
    > > Unfortunately after configuring TCP/IP it takes hours to get to
    > > dtlogin.
    > > It seems to be a DNS problem, I set the DNS to 192.168.0.1, which is
    > > my router, and that normaly works (Linux, NetBSD, even Windows :P ).
    > > So what do I do now? Should I set it to a "real" DNS?
    > > help appreciated

    > In a similar situation (router has 192.168.1.1) I use
    >
    > smitty - Communications Applications and Services - TCP/IP - Minimum
    > Configuration & Startup
    >
    > and then the nameserver entries
    >
    > NAMESERVER
    > Internet ADDRESS (dotted decimal) [192.168.1.1]
    > DOMAIN Name [-g192.168.1.1]
    > Default GATEWAY Address [192.168.1.1]
    >
    > thats what goes into /etc/resolv.conf .
    > Additionally in /etc/netsvc.conf the line
    >
    > hosts=local,bind
    >
    > and by convention in /etc/environment
    >
    > YPBIND_MAXWAIT=5
    >
    > (not sure if this still is necessary in 5.3)

    I set the nameserver to 192.168.0.1 in resolv.conf but still it takes
    15 minutes or so to start up. I guess it may be the missing (?) entry
    in netsvc.conf that causes these problems.

  4. Re: Very slow CDE

    On Aug 23, 5:08 pm, "kotzkro...@gmail.com"
    wrote:
    > On Aug 23, 5:01 pm, m.krae...@gsi.de (Michael Kraemer) wrote:
    >

    > > In article <1187880515.866714.244...@z24g2000prh.googlegroups. com>,

    > > "kotzkro...@gmail.com" writes:
    > > > Hello,
    > > > I'm quite new in the RS/6000 world and just installed AIX 5.3 on my
    > > > 44p.
    > > > Unfortunately after configuring TCP/IP it takes hours to get to
    > > > dtlogin.
    > > > It seems to be a DNS problem, I set the DNS to 192.168.0.1, which is
    > > > my router, and that normaly works (Linux, NetBSD, even Windows :P ).
    > > > So what do I do now? Should I set it to a "real" DNS?
    > > > help appreciated

    > > In a similar situation (router has 192.168.1.1) I use

    > > smitty - Communications Applications and Services - TCP/IP - Minimum
    > > Configuration & Startup

    > > and then the nameserver entries

    > > NAMESERVER
    > > Internet ADDRESS (dotted decimal) [192.168.1.1]
    > > DOMAIN Name [-g192.168.1.1]
    > > Default GATEWAY Address [192.168.1.1]

    > > thats what goes into /etc/resolv.conf .
    > > Additionally in /etc/netsvc.conf the line

    > > hosts=local,bind

    > > and by convention in /etc/environment

    > > YPBIND_MAXWAIT=5

    > > (not sure if this still is necessary in 5.3)

    > I set the nameserver to 192.168.0.1 in resolv.conf but still it takes
    > 15 minutes or so to start up. I guess it may be the missing (?) entry
    > in netsvc.conf that causes these problems.

    Everything works now, thank you. Now I need mozilla

+ Reply to Thread