define print queue that points to a directory - Aix

This is a discussion on define print queue that points to a directory - Aix ; How do you define a prt queue that will print the files to a directory such as /tmp/printfiles?...

  1. define print queue that points to a directory

    How do you define a prt queue that will print the files to a directory
    such as /tmp/printfiles?

  2. Re: define print queue that points to a directory

    wrote in message
    news:1187671353.505329.298080@19g2000hsx.googlegro ups.com...
    > How do you define a prt queue that will print the files to a directory
    > such as /tmp/printfiles?

    If you just want to append all print jobs to a single file, you can just
    create a queue that prints to a file (/tmp/printfiles/whatever) instead of
    /dev/lp##

    If you want to store each job in its own file, you'll need a print queue
    backend program or filter which could be as simple as a script to copy the
    output of the queue to a file.

    It also depends on if you want to ONLY store the job, or do you want to
    print to a printer and store a copy? If you want to both store and print a
    copy, it is often easier to do with a virtual printer filter instead of a
    queue backend script.

    We've got a virtual printer filter that can store copies of print jobs into
    a directory structure of your chosing
    (/tmp/printfiles/queueName/year/month/username_job# for example). It will
    also optionally compress the archived copies if you're printing and storing
    large documents. You can download Archive from http://www.laixsoft.com

    Regards,
    Paul

  3. Re: define print queue that points to a directory

    Thanks Paul. I'd like to store each job in its own file. Could
    anyone give me an example of the backend program to copy the output of
    the queue to a file?

    Thanks.

  4. Re: define print queue that points to a directory

    wrote in message
    news:1187751908.935786.92490@i13g2000prf.googlegro ups.com...
    > Thanks Paul. I'd like to store each job in its own file. Could
    > anyone give me an example of the backend program to copy the output of
    > the queue to a file?

    At its most simplistic:

    #!/bin/ksh
    FILENAME=`determine your filename to save to here`
    # Assuming there aren't any command-line flags on the command to queue the
    job
    cp "$@" $FILENAME

    Or if you want the formatter to format the job before storing a copy:
    #!/bin/ksh
    FILENAME=`determine your filename to save to here`
    /usr/lib/lpd/piobe "$@" > $FILENAME

  5. Re: define print queue that points to a directory

    > At its most simplistic:
    >
    > #!/bin/ksh
    > FILENAME=`determine your filename to save to here`
    > # Assuming there aren't any command-line flags on the command to queue the
    > job
    > cp "$@" $FILENAME
    >
    > Or if you want the formatter to format the job before storing a copy:
    > #!/bin/ksh
    > FILENAME=`determine your filename to save to here`
    > /usr/lib/lpd/piobe "$@" > $FILENAME

    Thanks for the help. Unfortunately, I haven't made much headway on
    this.

    How can I make the backend write each file to a seperate file in the
    same folder without having to specify the filename to save to? Both
    examples listed show the FILENAME being set before the copy or print.
    Also, when the queue is defined do I use the parameter "BACKEND OUTPUT
    FILE pathname"? This appears to really mean 'which file name do you
    want to save the file to'.

    Thanks.

  6. Re: define print queue that points to a directory

    wrote in message
    news:1188252978.742752.188080@g4g2000hsf.googlegro ups.com...

    >> At its most simplistic:
    >>
    >> #!/bin/ksh
    >> FILENAME=`determine your filename to save to here`
    >> # Assuming there aren't any command-line flags on the command to queue
    >> the
    >> job
    >> cp "$@" $FILENAME
    >>
    >> Or if you want the formatter to format the job before storing a copy:
    >> #!/bin/ksh
    >> FILENAME=`determine your filename to save to here`
    >> /usr/lib/lpd/piobe "$@" > $FILENAME

    > Thanks for the help. Unfortunately, I haven't made much headway on
    > this.
    >
    > How can I make the backend write each file to a seperate file in the
    > same folder without having to specify the filename to save to? Both
    > examples listed show the FILENAME being set before the copy or print.
    > Also, when the queue is defined do I use the parameter "BACKEND OUTPUT
    > FILE pathname"? This appears to really mean 'which file name do you
    > want to save the file to'.

    Backend output file pathname would be an option for configuring a queue to
    point to a file where all files would be appended to that same file. If you
    want to store each print job to a distinct file, you will need to form the
    filename within your backend program. If you're writing a backend in C
    instead of as a script, you can use the routines in libqb.a to communicate
    with qdaemon to get information about the job (get_from() for example).

    We do offer the Archive filter which does what you need if you'd prefer a
    ready made solution instead of building your own.

    Best regards,
    Paul

+ Reply to Thread