ipldevice - Aix

This is a discussion on ipldevice - Aix ; Hi, AIX 5.3 I have a machine where /dev/ipldevice doesn't exit I can reboot it safely ? How I can I re-create it ? Thanks in advance...

  1. ipldevice

    Hi,

    AIX 5.3

    I have a machine where /dev/ipldevice doesn't exit
    I can reboot it safely ?
    How I can I re-create it ?

    Thanks in advance

  2. Re: ipldevice

    astalavista wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > AIX 5.3
    >
    > I have a machine where /dev/ipldevice doesn't exit
    > I can reboot it safely ?
    > How I can I re-create it ?
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    I did this today, and there is probably a more accepted way.

    I made a hard link from my rhdiskX device to /dev/ipldevice.

    If your boot device is /dev/hdisk0, then the command line would be as
    follows:

    ln /dev/rhdisk0 /dev/ipldevice

    Again, there is probably a more acceptable way to achieve this, but it
    worked for me.

  3. Re: ipldevice

    On Aug 20, 9:58 pm, "astalavista" wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > AIX 5.3
    >
    > I have a machine where /dev/ipldevice doesn't exit

    Since some OS updates require an update of the ipldevice ( boot
    image ) i would suggest that you find out why the ipldevice vanished.

    regards
    Hajo

  4. Re: ipldevice

    On 21 Aug., 10:34, Hajo Ehlers wrote:
    > On Aug 20, 9:58 pm, "astalavista" wrote:> Hi,
    >>[...]

    > Since some OS updates require an update of the ipldevice ( boot
    > image ) i would suggest that you find out why the ipldevice vanished.
    >
    > regards
    > Hajo

    Depending on the oslevel there is/was a bug causing the /dev/ipldevice
    being deleted and not recreated. Was fixed by the following
    APAR:IY94631

    http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview...id=isg1IY94631

  5. Re: ipldevice

    On Aug 20, 4:51 pm, 0xdeadabe wrote:
    > astalavista wrote:
    > > Hi,

    > > AIX 5.3

    > > I have a machine where /dev/ipldevice doesn't exit
    > > I can reboot it safely ?
    > > How I can I re-create it ?

    > > Thanks in advance

    > I did this today, and there is probably a more accepted way.
    >
    > I made a hard link from my rhdiskX device to /dev/ipldevice.
    >
    > If your boot device is /dev/hdisk0, then the command line would be as
    > follows:
    >
    > ln /dev/rhdisk0 /dev/ipldevice
    >
    > Again, there is probably a more acceptable way to achieve this, but it
    > worked for me.

    A long time ago this happend to me (losing /dev/ipldevice). I
    *believe* the correct solution is to use the mknod command.

    Example commands:
    cd /dev
    mknod ipldevice c
    chmod 600 ipldevice
    chown root:system
    run bosboot

    The major number, minor number correspond to the major number, minor
    number of the hdisk that contains hd5.

    Looking at my current system (aix 5.3):

    root@ms:/dev>ll | grep ipl
    crw-rw---- 2 root system 10, 1 Jan 21 2005 ipl_blv
    crw------- 2 root system 23, 0 Jan 21 2005 ipldevice
    root@ms:/dev>ll | grep hd5
    brw-rw---- 1 root system 10, 1 Aug 18 19:34 hd5
    crw-rw---- 2 root system 10, 1 Jan 21 2005 rhd5
    root@ms:/dev>ll | grep "23, 0"
    brw------- 1 root system 23, 0 Jul 16 2006 hdisk1
    crw------- 2 root system 23, 0 Jan 21 2005 ipldevice
    crw------- 2 root system 23, 0 Jan 21 2005 rhdisk1

    root@ms:/dev>lspv -l hdisk1
    hdisk1:
    LV NAME LPs PPs DISTRIBUTION MOUNT POINT
    hd8 1 1 00..00..01..00..00 N/A
    hd6 8 8 00..03..05..00..00 N/A
    hd2 21 21 00..00..20..01..00 /usr
    hd4 4 4 00..00..04..00..00 /
    hd3 2 2 00..00..02..00..00 /tmp
    hd9var 8 8 08..00..00..00..00 /var
    hd10opt 3 3 00..00..03..00..00 /opt
    hd1 136 136 18..01..16..101..00 /home
    hd5 1 1 01..00..00..00..00 N/A
    sysdumpdev_lv 16 16 00..00..09..07..00 N/A
    fslv00 1 1 00..01..00..00..00 /tftpboot
    nim_log 1 1 01..00..00..00..00 N/A
    sybase_lv 16 16 16..00..00..00..00 /home/sybase
    paging00 8 8 00..00..08..00..00 N/A

    That's sounds about right.

    Miles

  6. Re: ipldevice

    On Aug 20, 3:58 pm, "astalavista" wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > AIX 5.3
    >
    > I have a machine where /dev/ipldevice doesn't exit
    > I can reboot it safely ?
    > How I can I re-create it ?
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    You running EMC disk by any chance? Power Path?

    I recall an EMC tech advisory that dealt with missing /dev/ipldevice

    I think their script was bad, and deleted /dev/ipldevice if rootvg
    happened to be mirrored.

  7. Re: ipldevice

    > You running EMC disk by any chance? Power Path?
    >
    > I recall an EMC tech advisory that dealt with missing /dev/ipldevice
    >
    > I think their script was bad, and deleted /dev/ipldevice if rootvg
    > happened to be mirrored.

    Thanks for all answers
    Yes we run powerpath
    this why ipldevice disappear ...

  8. Re: ipldevice

    On Aug 21, 3:34 pm, "astalavista" wrote:
    > > You running EMC disk by any chance? Power Path?

    > > I recall an EMC tech advisory that dealt with missing /dev/ipldevice

    > > I think their script was bad, and deleted /dev/ipldevice if rootvg
    > > happened to be mirrored.

    > Thanks for all answers
    > Yes we run powerpath
    > this why ipldevice disappear ...

    Well the EMC advisory is ETA emc101218 and only applies to
    PowerPath 4.3

    This is a couple of years old, and is fixed in PowerPath 4.4 and
    above.
    In PP 4.3 the rc.emcpower script was bad. (if rootvg is mirrored)

    Is your rootvg mirrored?
    PowerPath 4.3 ?

    If so, see emc101218, or post contents of /etc/rc.emcpower
    If still under PP support, (hope so), call EMC.

+ Reply to Thread