42T + AIX 4.2.1 = automount problems ? - Aix

This is a discussion on 42T + AIX 4.2.1 = automount problems ? - Aix ; hello world, I just reactivated an ancient 42T workstation with AIX 4.2.1 (note the numbering analogy :-) The box mostly runs fine, except for annoying troubles apparently related to automounted filesystems. It seems that when largeish blocks of data are ...

  1. 42T + AIX 4.2.1 = automount problems ?

    hello world,

    I just reactivated an ancient 42T workstation with AIX 4.2.1
    (note the numbering analogy :-)
    The box mostly runs fine, except for annoying troubles apparently
    related to automounted filesystems.
    It seems that when largeish blocks of data are to be transferred
    from automounted files the network connection somehow fails,
    e.g. when I try to invoke Netscape 4.79 (20MB) or when trying
    to unpack tar archives.
    Does that ring some bell for some of the greybeards here ?
    I already tried the following remedies, to no avail:
    - applied all bos.* patches I could still find on IBMs pages,
    - put in another NIC, swapped cables and network path,
    - swapped memory and cleaned slots
    - changed automount parameters ( -tw and friends )

    The funny thing is, that with "conventional" nfs mounts
    everything seems to work just fine (otherwise I wouldn't have
    been able to apply the patches, since even installp over
    automounted directories failed).
    Of course I could revert to normal mounting, but I'd like
    to stay with automount to be consistent with the rest of my setup.
    automount seems to work with 4.1.5, btw.

    I seem to remember that when we had 4.1/4.2 at our site a long time ago,
    "amd" was preferred over automount, maybe due to these problems.
    It has escaped my memory, however, where to get amd

    TIA,
    MK

  2. Re: 42T + AIX 4.2.1 = automount problems ?

    On 17 Aug., 17:50, Michael Kraemer wrote:
    > hello world,
    >
    > I just reactivated an ancient 42T workstation with AIX 4.2.1
    > (note the numbering analogy :-)
    > The box mostly runs fine, except for annoying troubles apparently
    > related to automounted filesystems.
    > It seems that when largeish blocks of data are to be transferred
    > from automounted files the network connection somehow fails,
    > e.g. when I try to invoke Netscape 4.79 (20MB) or when trying
    > to unpack tar archives.
    > Does that ring some bell for some of the greybeards here ?
    > I already tried the following remedies, to no avail:
    > - applied all bos.* patches I could still find on IBMs pages,
    > - put in another NIC, swapped cables and network path,
    > - swapped memory and cleaned slots
    > - changed automount parameters ( -tw and friends )

    I was in a shop using nfs automount extensively on aix version 4.2.1
    (for home and user dirs). The slightest anormaly and machines would
    lock up right and left. Can waguely remember we had some AIX debug
    program we used to find the hanging file references and clean the mess
    up - (the 3.2.5 machines worked fine btw)

    I remember mostly the endless streams of automount and NFS related
    PMRs we had open. Dont ever think we got it to operate 100% reliably,
    esp. in circumstances where the network was not stable. Of cause -
    always check your NIC and switch settings - speed/duplex and maybe
    window sizes etc.

    regards,
    Jesper James

  3. Re: 42T + AIX 4.2.1 = automount problems ?

    There's at least one oddity with nfs on AIX,
    which we used to work around from linux servers,
    by exporting with the insecure option.

    Recently, we learned about the nfso tool, and
    the option:

    # nfso -o nfs_use_reserved_ports=1

    Marc

  4. Re: 42T + AIX 4.2.1 = automount problems ?

    Jesper James schrieb:

    > I remember mostly the endless streams of automount and NFS related
    > PMRs we had open. Dont ever think we got it to operate 100% reliably,
    > esp. in circumstances where the network was not stable. Of cause -
    > always check your NIC and switch settings - speed/duplex and maybe
    > window sizes etc.

    In the meantime I've tried a few more things.
    It seems that specifying "vers=2" as mount option
    in the automounter files was sort of a remedy,
    nfs seems to be stable now (my server is a 43P-240 under AIX 5.1).
    The box has developed more anomalies, though,
    e.g. X crashing every now and then
    with a software error in the Gt4e driver, presumably. I vaguely suspect
    a connection to SCSI tape operation, but maybe it's simply the ageing
    hardware.
    At least I could compile a couple of freeware apps (e.g. ssh & co),
    which is more important now that ucla is gone.

+ Reply to Thread