Need addl information on UTF software.. - Aix

This is a discussion on Need addl information on UTF software.. - Aix ; Hello....I am running AIX v 5.3.0. Recently I was asked to install the following utf software : bos.loc.com.utf 5.3.0.30 COMMITTED Common Locale Support - UTF-8 bos.loc.utf.EN_US 5.3.0.0 COMMITTED Base System Locale UTF Code bos.loc.utf.JA_JP 5.3.0.0 COMMITTED Base System Locale UTF ...

  1. Need addl information on UTF software..

    Hello....I am running AIX v 5.3.0. Recently I was asked to install
    the following utf software :

    bos.loc.com.utf 5.3.0.30 COMMITTED Common Locale Support -
    UTF-8
    bos.loc.utf.EN_US 5.3.0.0 COMMITTED Base System Locale UTF
    Code
    bos.loc.utf.JA_JP 5.3.0.0 COMMITTED Base System Locale UTF
    Code

    This was mainly to get rid of some warnings received by perl in the
    user interface for the machine (which it did). I found that it
    changed the behavior of db2 database strings that contain unicode
    characters.

    I am mainly looking for what the software changes in the AIX system so
    I can tell if I need to make changes in DB2 or have them remove it
    from the system. Does anyone know how these files change the system
    behavior?

    Any direction would be helpful as I am a database (not OS) person.

  2. Re: Need addl information on UTF software..

    oh btw...the information I found seems to state the packages are used
    for display purposes:

    AIX Localization package provides support for applications to run
    using the cultural conventions of a specific language and territory.
    These conventions include date and time formatting, collation order,
    monetary and numeric formatting, language for messages, and character
    classification. Where applicable, additional software such as input
    methods and fonts, which is required to display and process characters
    of a specific language, is also included.

    However, it seems to have also changed something in db2 because the
    string seems to print out the same as it did before but when the
    record is inserted into the table it no longer inserts the correct
    values. This is what I would like to find out is how the packages
    could affect the database.

+ Reply to Thread