rootvg & RAID - Aix

This is a discussion on rootvg & RAID - Aix ; Hi All. I've just added in a real raid card into the Model 265 that I have. It isFC 2494(which AIX sees as a "PCI 3-Channel Ultra2 SCSI RAID Adapter" but I see as a ServeRAID 3HB). I downgraded the ...

  1. rootvg & RAID

    Hi All.

    I've just added in a real raid card into the Model 265 that I
    have. It isFC 2494(which AIX sees as a "PCI 3-Channel Ultra2 SCSI RAID
    Adapter" but I see as a ServeRAID 3HB). I downgraded the firmware so
    that AIX could use it and we are all good.

    I've added two disks into it and I've created a hdisk1 using raid
    0 (just playing around at the moment).

    Should I or should I not add it into rootvg?

    Currently, the system is a single disk that is all rootvg.

    Or should I create a separate vg (datavg?) and create file systems
    into that instead.

    What are the best practices for this?

    Also, I have two file systems (/was51 and /db2 [their use being
    obvious]) that currently on the single disk, these are the two file
    systems that I want moved to the raid array (eventually to be a proper
    raid 5 setup). What is the best way to achieve this?

    I hope that someone can help.

    Thanks,

    -Chris

  2. Re: rootvg & RAID

    On Aug 2, 8:21 am, chr...@warpspeed.com.au wrote:
    > Hi All.
    >
    > I've just added in a real raid card into the Model 265 that I
    > have. It isFC 2494(which AIX sees as a "PCI 3-Channel Ultra2 SCSI RAID
    > Adapter" but I see as a ServeRAID 3HB). I downgraded the firmware so
    > that AIX could use it and we are all good.
    >
    > I've added two disks into it and I've created a hdisk1 using raid
    > 0 (just playing around at the moment).
    >
    > Should I or should I not add it into rootvg?
    >
    > Currently, the system is a single disk that is all rootvg.
    >
    > Or should I create a separate vg (datavg?) and create file systems
    > into that instead.
    >
    > What are the best practices for this?
    >
    > Also, I have two file systems (/was51 and /db2 [their use being
    > obvious]) that currently on the single disk, these are the two file
    > systems that I want moved to the raid array (eventually to be a proper
    > raid 5 setup). What is the best way to achieve this?
    >
    > I hope that someone can help.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > -Chris

    Historically IBM has NOT supported booting from SCSI RAID arrays, so I
    would not add it to rootvg...but if you need to migrate data from one
    PV to another your best bet is migratepv, however both PVs have to be
    in the same VG.

    Something else that may be worth a try is to completely stop db2 and
    WAS and use dd to copy one raw lv to another newly created raw lv that
    is the same size or bigger and see if you can mount the new lv (/dev/
    rlvname, NOT /dev/lvname)

+ Reply to Thread