How to monitor which process accessing which file on a busy filesystem? - Aix

This is a discussion on How to monitor which process accessing which file on a busy filesystem? - Aix ; Is there any tool that can be use to monitor which process is accessing which file on a busy filesystem? By using topas, it can be identified that the most busy physical volume is hdisk2. There is only one filesystem ...

  1. How to monitor which process accessing which file on a busy filesystem?

    Is there any tool that can be use to monitor which process is
    accessing which file on a busy filesystem?
    By using topas, it can be identified that the most busy physical
    volume is hdisk2. There is only one filesystem on hdisk2. There are a
    lot of files and different applications are accessing this filesystem.
    So it is very hard for me to identify which process and which
    application is causing the disk contention.
    Thus, what I want to do is want to find a tool that can let me to
    monitoring a specific filesystem and see which files are most
    frequently access by which process.
    By the way, I have already tried to use the filemon from AIX. However,
    it is not able provide what i want to. Since it is not able to just
    monitor a specific filesystem while it can only narrow down to LV
    level and so on. The output are strange though, it return a process
    number rather than a inode number on the file report session. That is
    why I can't able to identify the most busiest files as well. Here is
    part of the output from filemon,

    Most Active Files
    #MBs #opns #rds #wrs file volume:inode
    1.8 0 0 28 pid=868424_fd=7
    1.8 0 28 0 pid=868424_fd=5
    1.1 0 288 0 pid=1380542_fd=5

    Any comment and any idea are all welcome. Thanks so much for help.

  2. Re: How to monitor which process accessing which file on a busy filesystem?

    man fuser

    On 1 aug, 10:42, chiangwai...@gmail.com wrote:
    > Is there any tool that can be use to monitor which process is
    > accessing which file on a busy filesystem?
    > By using topas, it can be identified that the most busy physical
    > volume is hdisk2. There is only one filesystem on hdisk2. There are a
    > lot of files and different applications are accessing this filesystem.
    > So it is very hard for me to identify which process and which
    > application is causing the disk contention.
    > Thus, what I want to do is want to find a tool that can let me to
    > monitoring a specific filesystem and see which files are most
    > frequently access by which process.
    > By the way, I have already tried to use the filemon from AIX. However,
    > it is not able provide what i want to. Since it is not able to just
    > monitor a specific filesystem while it can only narrow down to LV
    > level and so on. The output are strange though, it return a process
    > number rather than a inode number on the file report session. That is
    > why I can't able to identify the most busiest files as well. Here is
    > part of the output from filemon,
    >
    > Most Active Files
    > #MBs #opns #rds #wrs file volume:inode
    > 1.8 0 0 28 pid=868424_fd=7
    > 1.8 0 28 0 pid=868424_fd=5
    > 1.1 0 288 0 pid=1380542_fd=5
    >
    > Any comment and any idea are all welcome. Thanks so much for help.

  3. Re: How to monitor which process accessing which file on a busy filesystem?

    On Aug 1, 4:42 am, chiangwai...@gmail.com wrote:
    > Is there any tool that can be use to monitor which process is
    > accessing which file on a busy filesystem?
    > By using topas, it can be identified that the most busy physical
    > volume is hdisk2. There is only one filesystem on hdisk2. There are a
    > lot of files and different applications are accessing this filesystem.
    > So it is very hard for me to identify which process and which
    > application is causing the disk contention.
    > Thus, what I want to do is want to find a tool that can let me to
    > monitoring a specific filesystem and see which files are most
    > frequently access by which process.
    > By the way, I have already tried to use the filemon from AIX. However,
    > it is not able provide what i want to. Since it is not able to just
    > monitor a specific filesystem while it can only narrow down to LV
    > level and so on. The output are strange though, it return a process
    > number rather than a inode number on the file report session. That is
    > why I can't able to identify the most busiest files as well. Here is
    > part of the output from filemon,
    >
    > Most Active Files
    > #MBs #opns #rds #wrs file volume:inode
    > 1.8 0 0 28 pid=868424_fd=7
    > 1.8 0 28 0 pid=868424_fd=5
    > 1.1 0 288 0 pid=1380542_fd=5
    >
    > Any comment and any idea are all welcome. Thanks so much for help.

    I prefer lsof to fuser...I find it much more reliable.

+ Reply to Thread