ram disk pages are pinned , what is it? - Aix

This is a discussion on ram disk pages are pinned , what is it? - Aix ; I have used the mkramdisk feature in 4.3.3 before Now I am thinking of using it in our aix 5.3 , and when I did a man mkramdisk , it mentioned something about RAM disk pages being pinned by default. ...

  1. ram disk pages are pinned , what is it?

    I have used the mkramdisk feature in 4.3.3 before
    Now I am thinking of using it in our aix 5.3 , and
    when I did a man mkramdisk , it mentioned something
    about RAM disk pages being pinned by default.

    quote below the part in the man page
    ---
    -u Specifies that the ram disk that is created will not be pinned.
    By default, the ram disk will be pinned.

    ------
    Could someone enlighten me on the difference for pinned or not pinned

    BTW, now that aix 5 supports JFS2, is there any advantage to use
    this filesystem for the ram disk created.

  2. Re: ram disk pages are pinned , what is it?

    pinned means held in memory and will not get paged out to paging
    space, which is really what you want from a ram disk.

    HTH
    Mark Taylor

+ Reply to Thread