9131-52A & GUI Console - Aix

This is a discussion on 9131-52A & GUI Console - Aix ; Hi, I've done a few searches on this so far, and haven't found a good solution yet. We just purchased a 9131-52A, and I'm trying to get it to boot to a Graphics Console from the VGA card. Initially I ...

  1. 9131-52A & GUI Console

    Hi, I've done a few searches on this so far, and haven't found a good
    solution yet. We just purchased a 9131-52A, and I'm trying to get it
    to boot to a Graphics Console from the VGA card. Initially I had it
    going through a KVM in one of our racks, but have since tried hooking
    up the monitor directly to eliminate the kvm as the issue. The
    problem I'm having is getting the server to get past the console
    selection screen.

    It initially comes up and asks you to select 2 as the system console.
    I hit 2 and eventually it moves on, and after a few minutes it asks to
    select F1 for system console and then press enter. The LED displays
    0c31 which means it's looking for console. For whatever reason it's
    not taking the keyboard input. I have the Keyboard connected via 1 of
    the USB ports on the back of the machine since the newer server don't
    have ps/2 inputs. I initially had it set ps/2 to usb adapter to the
    USB, but have since been able to find a USB keyboard and tried that.
    Still no luck. While I'd like to use HMC to connect, my company
    doesn't want to spend the 3K it's going to cost to get one since we
    haven't implemented Virtualization yet.

    I also tried hooking up the ASCII console and do it old school, but I
    can't even get it to recognize the ASCII Console. IBM hasn't really
    been helpful as they keep telling me this should work, and all the
    Documentation covers HMC & ASMI. Does anyone have any insight into
    this? It would be greatly appreciated.

  2. Re: 9131-52A & GUI Console

    On Jul 30, 11:55 am, Jason wrote:
    > Hi, I've done a few searches on this so far, and haven't found a good
    > solution yet. We just purchased a 9131-52A, and I'm trying to get it
    > to boot to a Graphics Console from the VGA card. Initially I had it
    > going through a KVM in one of our racks, but have since tried hooking
    > up the monitor directly to eliminate the kvm as the issue. The
    > problem I'm having is getting the server to get past the console
    > selection screen.
    >
    > It initially comes up and asks you to select 2 as the system console.
    > I hit 2 and eventually it moves on, and after a few minutes it asks to
    > select F1 for system console and then press enter. The LED displays
    > 0c31 which means it's looking for console. For whatever reason it's
    > not taking the keyboard input. I have the Keyboard connected via 1 of
    > the USB ports on the back of the machine since the newer server don't
    > have ps/2 inputs. I initially had it set ps/2 to usb adapter to the
    > USB, but have since been able to find a USB keyboard and tried that.
    > Still no luck. While I'd like to use HMC to connect, my company
    > doesn't want to spend the 3K it's going to cost to get one since we
    > haven't implemented Virtualization yet.
    >
    > I also tried hooking up the ASCII console and do it old school, but I
    > can't even get it to recognize the ASCII Console. IBM hasn't really
    > been helpful as they keep telling me this should work, and all the
    > Documentation covers HMC & ASMI. Does anyone have any insight into
    > this? It would be greatly appreciated.

    I have hooked several up to regular KVM's using a USB to PS/2 cable
    from Tripp Lite (don't have the part number right now, but will look
    later),
    in order to use KVM's keyboard and mouse. The monitor worked with
    a normal KVM monitor cable.

    When going old school with ASCII term, remember the 9131 will need
    a speed setting of 19.2, not 9.6 anymore.

    CTL and the keypad - key should enable the setup of the ascii console
    to change to 19.2

  3. Re: 9131-52A & GUI Console

    aixdude@yahoo.com wrote:
    > On Jul 30, 11:55 am, Jason wrote:
    >> Hi, I've done a few searches on this so far, and haven't found a good
    >> solution yet. We just purchased a 9131-52A, and I'm trying to get it
    >> to boot to a Graphics Console from the VGA card. Initially I had it
    >> going through a KVM in one of our racks, but have since tried hooking
    >> up the monitor directly to eliminate the kvm as the issue. The
    >> problem I'm having is getting the server to get past the console
    >> selection screen.
    >>
    >> It initially comes up and asks you to select 2 as the system console.
    >> I hit 2 and eventually it moves on, and after a few minutes it asks to
    >> select F1 for system console and then press enter. The LED displays
    >> 0c31 which means it's looking for console. For whatever reason it's
    >> not taking the keyboard input. I have the Keyboard connected via 1 of
    >> the USB ports on the back of the machine since the newer server don't
    >> have ps/2 inputs. I initially had it set ps/2 to usb adapter to the
    >> USB, but have since been able to find a USB keyboard and tried that.
    >> Still no luck. While I'd like to use HMC to connect, my company
    >> doesn't want to spend the 3K it's going to cost to get one since we
    >> haven't implemented Virtualization yet.
    >>
    >> I also tried hooking up the ASCII console and do it old school, but I
    >> can't even get it to recognize the ASCII Console. IBM hasn't really
    >> been helpful as they keep telling me this should work, and all the
    >> Documentation covers HMC & ASMI. Does anyone have any insight into
    >> this? It would be greatly appreciated.

    > I have hooked several up to regular KVM's using a USB to PS/2 cable
    > from Tripp Lite (don't have the part number right now, but will look
    > later),
    > in order to use KVM's keyboard and mouse. The monitor worked with
    > a normal KVM monitor cable.
    >
    > When going old school with ASCII term, remember the 9131 will need
    > a speed setting of 19.2, not 9.6 anymore.
    >
    > CTL and the keypad - key should enable the setup of the ascii console
    > to change to 19.2

    Ummmm...(since you didn't say in your original post) is your "display"
    connected to a **graphics** adapter? The "2" and no response to input
    with 0c31 on the LED suggests you may not have the complete graphical
    console set up - i.e., display<->graphics adapter **along with**
    keyboard **and** mouse connected to their respective ports (if they
    still exist on the CEC). The serial console is still avalable (even
    with the "graphics console" setup) assuming you're attaching a true
    ASCII/serial console to either the respective **serial port** (BTW,
    IIRC, the serial console on some p models can only be accessed from an
    adapter based port)...I (also) concur with aixdude's comments,
    especially the BAUD rate part.

    HTH some and your experiences are probably a little different from mine :-)

    Paul

  4. Re: 9131-52A & GUI Console

    On Jul 30, 7:17 pm, Sub Genius wrote:
    > aixd...@yahoo.com wrote:
    > > On Jul 30, 11:55 am, Jason wrote:
    > >> Hi, I've done a few searches on this so far, and haven't found a good
    > >> solution yet. We just purchased a 9131-52A, and I'm trying to get it
    > >> to boot to a Graphics Console from the VGA card. Initially I had it
    > >> going through a KVM in one of our racks, but have since tried hooking
    > >> up the monitor directly to eliminate the kvm as the issue. The
    > >> problem I'm having is getting the server to get past the console
    > >> selection screen.

    > >> It initially comes up and asks you to select 2 as the system console.
    > >> I hit 2 and eventually it moves on, and after a few minutes it asks to
    > >> select F1 for system console and then press enter. The LED displays
    > >> 0c31 which means it's looking for console. For whatever reason it's
    > >> not taking the keyboard input. I have the Keyboard connected via 1 of
    > >> the USB ports on the back of the machine since the newer server don't
    > >> have ps/2 inputs. I initially had it set ps/2 to usb adapter to the
    > >> USB, but have since been able to find a USB keyboard and tried that.
    > >> Still no luck. While I'd like to use HMC to connect, my company
    > >> doesn't want to spend the 3K it's going to cost to get one since we
    > >> haven't implemented Virtualization yet.

    > >> I also tried hooking up the ASCII console and do it old school, but I
    > >> can't even get it to recognize the ASCII Console. IBM hasn't really
    > >> been helpful as they keep telling me this should work, and all the
    > >> Documentation covers HMC & ASMI. Does anyone have any insight into
    > >> this? It would be greatly appreciated.

    > > I have hooked several up to regular KVM's using a USB to PS/2 cable
    > > from Tripp Lite (don't have the part number right now, but will look
    > > later),
    > > in order to use KVM's keyboard and mouse. The monitor worked with
    > > a normal KVM monitor cable.

    > > When going old school with ASCII term, remember the 9131 will need
    > > a speed setting of 19.2, not 9.6 anymore.

    > > CTL and the keypad - key should enable the setup of the ascii console
    > > to change to 19.2

    > Ummmm...(since you didn't say in your original post) is your "display"
    > connected to a **graphics** adapter? The "2" and no response to input
    > with 0c31 on the LED suggests you may not have the complete graphical
    > console set up - i.e., display<->graphics adapter **along with**
    > keyboard **and** mouse connected to their respective ports (if they
    > still exist on the CEC). The serial console is still avalable (even
    > with the "graphics console" setup) assuming you're attaching a true
    > ASCII/serial console to either the respective **serial port** (BTW,
    > IIRC, the serial console on some p models can only be accessed from an
    > adapter based port)...I (also) concur with aixdude's comments,
    > especially the BAUD rate part.
    >
    > HTH some and your experiences are probably a little different from mine :-)
    >
    > Paul

    Looks like the issue was the keyboard & Mouse. I was able to plug in
    a USB keyboard directly, and it seemed to work.

+ Reply to Thread