HMC V7, Your impressons. - Aix

This is a discussion on HMC V7, Your impressons. - Aix ; I have loaded HMC V7 and though I like not having WebSM as a remote client, I'm not entirely impressed with the new version. While the graphics seem a bit flashy, I haven't noticed any real improvements. For example, it ...

  1. HMC V7, Your impressons.

    I have loaded HMC V7 and though I like not having WebSM as a remote client,
    I'm not entirely impressed with the new version. While the graphics seem a
    bit flashy, I haven't noticed any real improvements. For example, it
    appears that I can only view the LPARs from one managed system at a time.
    This seems like a step backwards.

    There are likely improvements that I'm unaware of. I'd like to hear your
    impressions.

    Thanks in advance.

  2. Re: HMC V7, Your impressons.

    On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 02:28:15 -0700, Fishbone wrote:

    > I have loaded HMC V7 and though I like not having WebSM as a remote
    > client, I'm not entirely impressed with the new version. While the
    > graphics seem a bit flashy, I haven't noticed any real improvements. For
    > example, it appears that I can only view the LPARs from one managed system
    > at a time. This seems like a step backwards.
    >
    > There are likely improvements that I'm unaware of. I'd like to hear your
    > impressions.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    I haven't seen it in person, but our local AIX users' group heard a
    presentation on the new face of the HMC a few months ago. At that time,
    we were told that the limitation of looking at one HMC at a time was
    inherent to the new product's web access model... I wasn't thrilled with
    that answer or the one about how it "might be a little faster" than the
    current interface, but I figure I'll load it on our test HMC before I make
    any positive or negative comments of my own...

    Has the command-line interface changed or gotten faster/slower?

    -Chris

  3. Re: HMC V7, Your impressions.

    The HMC command-line interface seems to have remained the same and the new
    http based
    remote access has no increase or decrease in performance. For me,
    performance of the LPAR
    console windows, when opened from the GUI, seems to have slowed down a bit.
    I have better
    performance accessing console windows using the vtmenu command from the HMC
    command-line.

    I don't plan on rolling back to V6, I'll just adapt myself to V7.

    "Christopher Petersen" wrote in
    message newsan.2007.07.29.02.04.41.667198@crystallized-software.com...
    > On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 02:28:15 -0700, Fishbone wrote:
    >
    >> I have loaded HMC V7 and though I like not having WebSM as a remote
    >> client, I'm not entirely impressed with the new version. While the
    >> graphics seem a bit flashy, I haven't noticed any real improvements. For
    >> example, it appears that I can only view the LPARs from one managed
    >> system
    >> at a time. This seems like a step backwards.
    >>
    >> There are likely improvements that I'm unaware of. I'd like to hear your
    >> impressions.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance.

    > I haven't seen it in person, but our local AIX users' group heard a
    > presentation on the new face of the HMC a few months ago. At that time,
    > we were told that the limitation of looking at one HMC at a time was
    > inherent to the new product's web access model... I wasn't thrilled with
    > that answer or the one about how it "might be a little faster" than the
    > current interface, but I figure I'll load it on our test HMC before I make
    > any positive or negative comments of my own...
    >
    > Has the command-line interface changed or gotten faster/slower?
    >
    > -Chris

  4. Re: HMC V7, Your impressons.

    On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 02:28:15 -0700, "Fishbone" wrote:

    >I have loaded HMC V7 and though I like not having WebSM as a remote client,
    >I'm not entirely impressed with the new version. While the graphics seem a
    >bit flashy, I haven't noticed any real improvements. For example, it
    >appears that I can only view the LPARs from one managed system at a time.
    >This seems like a step backwards.
    >
    >There are likely improvements that I'm unaware of. I'd like to hear your
    >impressions.
    >
    >Thanks in advance.

    What I liked with version 7 is that it is plain Web browser interface now,
    rather than websm, requiring installation of client software (and java, which
    may be bit of pain on Windows machines).

    What I did NOTt like is console/terminal applet, it seems to be slower even when
    you work at HMC console and sometimes getty in Linux (RH ES and Fedora) is stuck
    with virtual terminal, needs kill/restart of getty. Versions 5 and 6 of HMC
    never had this problem with console applet.

    Otherwise it's OK with me, although new structure of menus needs time to get
    used to.

    Alex

+ Reply to Thread