Booting PowerPC from cdrom - Aix

This is a discussion on Booting PowerPC from cdrom - Aix ; Hi, I want to boot from cdrom on an old PowerPC 7248-100, but pressing F5 has no effect. How can I boot from cd? Thanks...

  1. Booting PowerPC from cdrom

    Hi,

    I want to boot from cdrom on an old PowerPC 7248-100, but pressing F5
    has no effect. How can I boot from cd?

    Thanks

  2. Re: Booting PowerPC from cdrom

    Try other Fkeys IIRC F8 or F2 takes you to boot menu(press it right
    after you hear bling).

    Tero
    Huub wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I want to boot from cdrom on an old PowerPC 7248-100, but pressing F5
    > has no effect. How can I boot from cd?
    >
    > Thanks

  3. Re: Booting PowerPC from cdrom

    Tero Kaarlela wrote:
    > Try other Fkeys IIRC F8 or F2 takes you to boot menu(press it right
    > after you hear bling).
    >

    > Tero

    I did try F2, but apparently lacked the timing. Now I've change
    bootsequence to CDROM first, harddisk second. So far, still no boot from
    CDROM though.

  4. Re: Booting PowerPC from cdrom

    On Jul 27, 7:49 am, Huub <"v.niekerk at hccnet.nl"> wrote:
    > Tero Kaarlela wrote:
    > > Try other Fkeys IIRC F8 or F2 takes you to boot menu(press it right
    > > after you hear bling).

    > > Tero

    > I did try F2, but apparently lacked the timing. Now I've change
    > bootsequence to CDROM first, harddisk second. So far, still no boot from
    > CDROM though.

    Not all SCSI cdRom drives are bootable out of the box some require a
    specific flash code.
    Plextor drives are your best bet.

  5. Re: Booting PowerPC from cdrom

    I would personally suspect AIX Cd you are trying to boot from specially
    if it is not genuine....CDrom must contain PREP boot sector you can
    check cd with Linux machine by command fdisk -l /dev/sda if PREP is not
    there then it wont boot from that CD.

    Tero

    tmpolzin@netscape.net wrote:
    > On Jul 27, 7:49 am, Huub <"v.niekerk at hccnet.nl"> wrote:
    >> Tero Kaarlela wrote:
    >>> Try other Fkeys IIRC F8 or F2 takes you to boot menu(press it right
    >>> after you hear bling).
    >>> Tero

    >> I did try F2, but apparently lacked the timing. Now I've change
    >> bootsequence to CDROM first, harddisk second. So far, still no boot from
    >> CDROM though.

    > Not all SCSI cdRom drives are bootable out of the box some require a
    > specific flash code.
    > Plextor drives are your best bet.

  6. Re: Booting PowerPC from cdrom

    On Jul 27, 7:15 am, Huub <"v.niekerk at hccnet.nl"> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I want to boot from cdrom on an old PowerPC 7248-100, but pressing F5
    > has no effect. How can I boot from cd?
    >
    > Thanks

    What version of AIX are you trying to boot?
    The PREP machine won't boot AIX later than 5.1

    Also, what are you using for a console?
    If not a graphics console, try the number 5 instead of F5.

  7. Re: Booting PowerPC from cdrom

    The issue has been solved. The cdrom is bootable, but the wrong PowerPC
    platform: Apple PPC. Apparently, there's no BSD for the IBM PowerPC.

  8. Re: Booting PowerPC from cdrom

    Huub wrote:
    > The issue has been solved. The cdrom is bootable, but the wrong PowerPC
    > platform: Apple PPC. Apparently, there's no BSD for the IBM PowerPC.

    Your system is PReP architecture. You must take this into account when
    probably has the best support of the two.

    Kevin

+ Reply to Thread