Cloning NIN client problem - disk space - Aix

This is a discussion on Cloning NIN client problem - disk space - Aix ; Hello, I have mksysb from standalone server (505 Aix 5.3), size = 1,5 GB. I try to clone this machine onto lpar. Lpar and nim server are configured for nim transfer (/etc/bootptab etc). When i send mksysb to lpar, on ...

  1. Cloning NIN client problem - disk space

    Hello,
    I have mksysb from standalone server (505 Aix 5.3), size = 1,5 GB.
    I try to clone this machine onto lpar.
    Lpar and nim server are configured for nim transfer (/etc/bootptab
    etc).

    When i send mksysb to lpar, on lpar console (after reboot) error
    apears :
    "Not enough disk space selected to contain the operating system"

    but the disk (virtual) is 7GB.

    I tried to set "shrink filesystem" in install options - still the
    same.

    any ideas ?

    regards
    Kmet

  2. Re: Cloning NIN client problem - disk space

    On Jul 25, 7:14 am, Kmet wrote:
    > Hello,
    > I have mksysb from standalone server (505 Aix 5.3), size = 1,5 GB.
    > I try to clone this machine onto lpar.
    > Lpar and nim server are configured for nim transfer (/etc/bootptab
    > etc).
    >
    > When i send mksysb to lpar, on lpar console (after reboot) error
    > apears :
    > "Not enough disk space selected to contain the operating system"
    >
    > but the disk (virtual) is 7GB.
    >
    > I tried to set "shrink filesystem" in install options - still the
    > same.
    >
    > any ideas ?
    >
    > regards
    > Kmet

    Is your mksysb from a mirrored rootvg system?
    If yes, you will need two target disks for the clone.

  3. Re: Cloning NIN client problem - disk space

    On Jul 25, 9:14 am, "aixd...@yahoo.com" wrote:
    > On Jul 25, 7:14 am, Kmet wrote:
    >

    > > Hello,
    > > I have mksysb from standalone server (505 Aix 5.3), size = 1,5 GB.
    > > I try to clone this machine onto lpar.
    > > Lpar and nim server are configured for nim transfer (/etc/bootptab
    > > etc).

    > > When i send mksysb to lpar, on lpar console (after reboot) error
    > > apears :
    > > "Not enough disk space selected to contain the operating system"

    > > but the disk (virtual) is 7GB.

    > > I tried to set "shrink filesystem" in install options - still the
    > > same.

    > > any ideas ?

    > > regards
    > > Kmet

    > Is your mksysb from a mirrored rootvg system?
    > If yes, you will need two target disks for the clone.

    I don't think mirroring has ever been problem here, but? I have seen
    this message before and normally I just ignore it and things work.
    Picking the option to shrink is a good idea, just check your file
    space later. It can make /var 96% full.

  4. Re: Cloning NIN client problem - disk space

    On Jul 25, 7:14 am, Kmet wrote:
    > Hello,
    > I have mksysb from standalone server (505 Aix 5.3), size = 1,5 GB.
    > I try to clone this machine onto lpar.
    > Lpar and nim server are configured for nim transfer (/etc/bootptab
    > etc).
    >
    > When i send mksysb to lpar, on lpar console (after reboot) error
    > apears :
    > "Not enough disk space selected to contain the operating system"
    >
    > but the disk (virtual) is 7GB.
    >
    > I tried to set "shrink filesystem" in install options - still the
    > same.
    >
    > any ideas ?
    >
    > regards
    > Kmet

    Hello there,

    I just had this problem on Friday (7/27/07) and it turns out that the
    mksysb image was 5300-01 and on a 9117-570 and min version must be
    5300-04. I had also first thought about mirrors, but there was not any
    mirrors, so I called the support center and that is the information
    they told me. And sure enough I used a mksysb image of 5300-04 and
    everything worked fine. BTW you can check the nim mksysb image by
    running: lsnim -l mksysb-image-name
    Hope that helps,
    Ken

+ Reply to Thread