failover recommendations sought - Aix

This is a discussion on failover recommendations sought - Aix ; If I have 2 AIX servers in different physical sites, each serving the same application, what is a recommendation for failover software to manage the failing over of one server to the other? Simple as this: I unplug the plug ...

  1. failover recommendations sought

    If I have 2 AIX servers in different physical sites, each serving
    the same application, what is a recommendation for failover software
    to manage the failing over of one server to the other?

    Simple as this: I unplug the plug on one server at site A, and site B
    kicks in right away as if there was no interruption whatsoever.

    Thanks in advance.

  2. Re: failover recommendations sought

    On 23 jul, 21:50, The Derfer wrote:
    > If I have 2 AIX servers in different physical sites, each serving
    > the same application, what is a recommendation for failover software
    > to manage the failing over of one server to the other?
    >
    > Simple as this: I unplug the plug on one server at site A, and site B
    > kicks in right away as if there was no interruption whatsoever.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    I'm not a clustering expert, but I think you should take a look at
    IBM's HACMP... Anyway, I don't think that enabling High Availability
    on servers located in different physical locations would be the best.
    You will have to rely on your WAN connection, and unless you have
    redundancy here, you will find a SPOF on this network connection.

  3. Re: failover recommendations sought

    On Jul 23, 3:50 pm, The Derfer wrote:
    > If I have 2 AIX servers in different physical sites, each serving
    > the same application, what is a recommendation for failover software
    > to manage the failing over of one server to the other?

    If you need to replicate data, then HACMP along with PPRC or SRDF
    should do the trick. But if you don't have to worry about replicating
    the data between sites then you might be better off with a network
    solution like f5 networks big-ip. Check out their global traffic
    management.

    > Simple as this: I unplug the plug on one server at site A, and site B
    > kicks in right away as if there was no interruption whatsoever.

    I wish things were that simple ;-)

    > Thanks in advance.

  4. Re: failover recommendations sought

    On Jul 23, 3:50 pm, The Derfer wrote:
    > If I have 2 AIX servers in different physical sites, each serving
    > the same application, what is a recommendation for failover software
    > to manage the failing over of one server to the other?
    >
    > Simple as this: I unplug the plug on one server at site A, and site B
    > kicks in right away as if there was no interruption whatsoever.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    Used to be HAGEO

    http://www-03.ibm.com/servers/aix/pr...geo_georm.html

  5. Re: failover recommendations sought

    Could I use
    Veritas (Symantec) Cluster 5.0?

    On Jul 24, 2:26 pm, "aixd...@yahoo.com" wrote:
    > On Jul 23, 3:50 pm, The Derfer wrote:
    >
    > > If I have 2 AIX servers in different physical sites, each serving
    > > the same application, what is a recommendation for failover software
    > > to manage the failing over of one server to the other?

    > > Simple as this: I unplug the plug on one server at site A, and site B
    > > kicks in right away as if there was no interruption whatsoever.

    > > Thanks in advance.

    > Used to be HAGEO
    >
    > http://www-03.ibm.com/servers/aix/pr...vail_network/h...

  6. Re: failover recommendations sought

    Seriously -- is the following possible:?

    Run Symantec Cluster v5 on a Win server box to manage the failover
    of the 2 AIX boxes OR ...
    do I have to get yet another AIX box and run the AIX-specific version
    of
    Symantec Cluster on that?

    On Jul 27, 4:08 pm, The Derfer wrote:
    > Could I use
    > Veritas (Symantec) Cluster 5.0?
    >
    > On Jul 24, 2:26 pm, "aixd...@yahoo.com" wrote:
    >
    > > On Jul 23, 3:50 pm, The Derfer wrote:

    > > > If I have 2 AIX servers in different physical sites, each serving
    > > > the same application, what is a recommendation forfailoversoftware
    > > > to manage the failing over of one server to the other?

    > > > Simple as this: I unplug the plug on one server at site A, and site B
    > > > kicks in right away as if there was no interruption whatsoever.

    > > > Thanks in advance.

    > > Used to be HAGEO

    > >http://www-03.ibm.com/servers/aix/pr...vail_network/h...

+ Reply to Thread