Power P5 50 microcode upgrade - Aix

This is a discussion on Power P5 50 microcode upgrade - Aix ; I am new to Power / AIX. I have several p5 50s running AIX 5.3 ML4 managed by an HMC v5 2.0. I need to upgrade the HMC to version 7x. I was told I need to upgrade the firmware ...

  1. Power P5 50 microcode upgrade

    I am new to Power / AIX. I have several p5 50s running AIX 5.3 ML4
    managed by an HMC v5 2.0. I need to upgrade the HMC to version 7x. I
    was told I need to upgrade the firmware / microcode on my Power boxes
    first, so they can be managed by the new HMC.

    1) How do I find what my microcode level is through AIX?

    2) Does an upgrade upgrade all device and harware firmware /
    microcode?

    3) How do I upgrade the microcode?

    TIA,

    Rich

  2. Re: Power P5 50 microcode upgrade

    glazier@gmail.com wrote:
    > I am new to Power / AIX. I have several p5 50s running AIX 5.3 ML4
    > managed by an HMC v5 2.0. I need to upgrade the HMC to version 7x. I
    > was told I need to upgrade the firmware / microcode on my Power boxes
    > first, so they can be managed by the new HMC.
    >
    > 1) How do I find what my microcode level is through AIX?

    You can do it via AIX, but it's easier to use the HMC.

    > 2) Does an upgrade upgrade all device and harware firmware /
    > microcode?

    That's up to you, you can pick and choose.

    > 3) How do I upgrade the microcode?

    You can use the Licensed Internal Code update wizard on your HMC to both see
    current levels and update to new code. You can do this over the net if your HMC
    has access.

    Steve

    --
    steve stackwick
    sstackwick@jasi.com

  3. Re: Power P5 50 microcode upgrade

    Stackwick wrote:
    > glazier@gmail.com wrote:
    >> I am new to Power / AIX. I have several p5 50s running AIX 5.3 ML4
    >> managed by an HMC v5 2.0. I need to upgrade the HMC to version 7x. I
    >> was told I need to upgrade the firmware / microcode on my Power boxes
    >> first, so they can be managed by the new HMC.
    >>
    >> 1) How do I find what my microcode level is through AIX?

    > You can do it via AIX, but it's easier to use the HMC.
    >

    >> 2) Does an upgrade upgrade all device and harware firmware /
    >> microcode?

    > That's up to you, you can pick and choose.
    >

    >> 3) How do I upgrade the microcode?

    > You can use the Licensed Internal Code update wizard on your HMC to both
    > see current levels and update to new code. You can do this over the net
    > if your HMC has access.
    >
    > Steve
    >>
    >> TIA,
    >>
    >> Rich

    Just like Steve said, but I will add some more. If you have managed
    systems with multiple LPARs, you must upgrade the microcode with the
    HMC. Execute "lsmcode" on any of the LPARs will tell you what your
    microcode level is. If you go to www.ibm.com/support, you can navigate
    to the areas with the microcode. VERY IMPORTANT: Be certain to learn
    the distinction between upgrade and update. Updates can normally be
    done concurrently, upgrades usually need a power off of the system.

    I am curious as to why you need to upgrade to HMC level 7. We just did
    our upgrades to 6.1, only after it was free of the bulk of its problems.
    My IBM CE has said that 7 is starting out like any other GA level
    code, and recommended against it.

    We were just delivered 2 p595's with expansion cabinets, and was told
    that 6.1 with updates will manage them just fine.

  4. Re: Power P5 50 microcode upgrade

    On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 09:28:44 -0400, 0xdeadabe wrote:

    > Stackwick wrote:
    >> [quoted text muted]

    > Just like Steve said, but I will add some more. If you have managed
    > systems with multiple LPARs, you must upgrade the microcode with the HMC.
    > Execute "lsmcode" on any of the LPARs will tell you what your microcode
    > level is. If you go to www.ibm.com/support, you can navigate to the areas
    > with the microcode. VERY IMPORTANT: Be certain to learn the distinction
    > between upgrade and update. Updates can normally be done concurrently,
    > upgrades usually need a power off of the system.
    >
    > I am curious as to why you need to upgrade to HMC level 7. We just did
    > our upgrades to 6.1, only after it was free of the bulk of its problems.
    > My IBM CE has said that 7 is starting out like any other GA level
    > code, and recommended against it.
    >
    > We were just delivered 2 p595's with expansion cabinets, and was told that
    > 6.1 with updates will manage them just fine.

    I'll add my $0.02 worth as well... :-) Updating the firmware through the
    HMC will update the chassis firmware and/or the bulk power controller
    firmware on the p670/690 and p590/595 boxes. It won't upgrade the
    firmware on any independent PCI adapters (like a PCI gigabit Ethernet or
    Fibre Channel adapter)...

    If HMC version 7 is what I think it is, the only reason you would have to
    upgrade your existing HMCs is if you're planning to add POWER6-based
    systems to the HMCs you already have... Of course, the POWER6 HMC code
    has a vastly different user interface in front of it (and no WebSM)... At
    least this time it's backward-compatible with the p5 gear... :-)

    -Chris

+ Reply to Thread