VIO capabilities regarding 2-port FC - Aix

This is a discussion on VIO capabilities regarding 2-port FC - Aix ; Hello, Using VIO server and may I present one port of #1910 2 port 4GB FC to one partition and second to other ? Stan...

  1. VIO capabilities regarding 2-port FC

    Hello,

    Using VIO server and may I present one port of #1910 2 port 4GB FC to one
    partition and second to other ?

    Stan

  2. Re: VIO capabilities regarding 2-port FC

    On 20 Jul, 10:21, "Stanislaw Zakrzewski" wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > Using VIO server and may I present one port of #1910 2 port 4GB FC to one
    > partition and second to other ?
    >
    > Stan

    You can do I think. Just off the top of my head I think you'd need to
    have two SEA's and setup each one to use a different VLAN. On the
    virtual partitions profile you'd have to specify which VLAN to use
    that corresponded to the SEA you wanted to use. The SEA maps to an
    adapter port.

    There may be other ways but thats my initial thought.

    Do you have a valid reason for wanting to do this though or are you
    slightly confused as to how virtual ethernet works (I say this as your
    VIO).

    Regards,
    Scott

  3. Re: VIO capabilities regarding 2-port FC

    On Jul 20, 1:21 pm, "Stanislaw Zakrzewski"
    wrote:
    > Using VIO server and may I present one port of #1910 2 port 4GB FC to one
    > partition and second to other ?

    A port on an FC adapter is not something you can present to a
    partition from the VIO server. What you *can* do is present a group of
    disks (or logical volumes residing on disks) attached to the first
    port to the first partition, and another group of disks (logical
    volumes) attached to the second port to the second partition.

    Regards,
    Dmitri

  4. Re: VIO capabilities regarding 2-port FC

    > There may be other ways but thats my initial thought.
    >
    > Do you have a valid reason for wanting to do this though or are you
    > slightly confused as to how virtual ethernet works (I say this as your
    > VIO).
    >
    > Regards,
    > Scott

    I create solutions for customer, and sometimes requirements are vague and
    documentation not specific about some details, especially that this is quite
    new topic. Previous generation of card was always 1 port so there was no
    such problem. I also noticed that you helped me previous time so i owe you
    two
    Many thanks form help.

    Stan

  5. Re: VIO capabilities regarding 2-port FC

    > partition from the VIO server. What you *can* do is present a group of
    > disks (or logical volumes residing on disks) attached to the first
    > port to the first partition, and another group of disks (logical
    > volumes) attached to the second port to the second

    Yest you are absolutley right, i see it now.
    Many thanks.

  6. Re: VIO capabilities regarding 2-port FC

    On 20 Jul, 13:29, "Stanislaw Zakrzewski" wrote:
    > > partition from the VIO server. What you *can* do is present a group of
    > > disks (or logical volumes residing on disks) attached to the first
    > > port to the first partition, and another group of disks (logical
    > > volumes) attached to the second port to the second

    > Yest you are absolutley right, i see it now.
    > Many thanks.

    Oops - for some reason I was thinking about network cards at the time
    rather then fibre cards for disks so ignore my ramblings earlier.

    Scott

+ Reply to Thread