virtual partition can't see virtual disk - Aix

This is a discussion on virtual partition can't see virtual disk - Aix ; Hello, 1. (HMC) I have configured a partition. 2. (VIOS) I have created vdisk on previously created LUN. lsmap -all : SVSA Physloc Client Partition ID --------------- -------------------------------------------- ------------------ vhost8 U9133.55A.XXXXXXX-V2-C15 0x00000006 VTD vhdisk7 LUN 0x8100000000000000 Backing device hdisk7 Physloc ...

  1. virtual partition can't see virtual disk

    --------------- --------------------------------------------
    ------------------
    vhost8 U9133.55A.XXXXXXX-V2-C15
    0x00000006
    VTD vhdisk7
    LUN 0x8100000000000000
    Backing device hdisk7
    Physloc U787B.001.DNWD33C-P1-C5-T1-W200600A0B80FB149-
    L5000000000000

    3. When I activate this partition (id6, name virtual4) in SMS mode, I
    cant select disk as boot device. There is no device (only virtual
    ethernet)

    4. On HMC i can see (VIOS SCSI apapter configuratio) :
    vhost8 -- U9133....V2-C15 hdisk7 virtual4(6)
    -- --

    I can see that this adapter is "inactive".
    I have created this adapter "on-line" and then i saved a new profile.
    I havent reboot VIOS.

    How can I make it active ? Do I have to restart VIOS ?

    PS. on virtual 4 terminal, in boot device configuration I cannot see
    disk.
    But when i go into 1. select boot device ->hard dive -> SCSI i can
    see :
    U9133..-V6-C15-T1 /vdevice/v-scsi@3000000f adapter
    but when i select it, message apperas :
    THE SELECTED DEVICES WERE NOT DETECTED IN THE SYSTEM.

    regards

  2. Re: virtual partition can't see virtual disk

    On 19 Jul, 16:01, Kmet wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > 1. (HMC) I have configured a partition.
    > 2. (VIOS) I have created vdisk on previously created LUN. lsmap -all :
    >
    > SVSA Physloc Client
    > Partition ID
    > --------------- --------------------------------------------
    > ------------------
    > vhost8 U9133.55A.XXXXXXX-V2-C15
    > 0x00000006
    > VTD vhdisk7
    > LUN 0x8100000000000000
    > Backing device hdisk7
    > Physloc U787B.001.DNWD33C-P1-C5-T1-W200600A0B80FB149-
    > L5000000000000
    >
    > 3. When I activate this partition (id6, name virtual4) in SMS mode, I
    > cant select disk as boot device. There is no device (only virtual
    > ethernet)
    >
    > 4. On HMC i can see (VIOS SCSI apapter configuratio) :
    > vhost8 -- U9133....V2-C15 hdisk7 virtual4(6)
    > -- --
    >
    > I can see that this adapter is "inactive".
    > I have created this adapter "on-line" and then i saved a new profile.
    > I havent reboot VIOS.
    >
    > How can I make it active ? Do I have to restart VIOS ?
    >
    > PS. on virtual 4 terminal, in boot device configuration I cannot see
    > disk.
    > But when i go into 1. select boot device ->hard dive -> SCSI i can
    > see :
    > U9133..-V6-C15-T1 /vdevice/v-scsi@3000000f adapter
    > but when i select it, message apperas :
    > THE SELECTED DEVICES WERE NOT DETECTED IN THE SYSTEM.
    >
    > regards

    Have you defined the virtual disk in the profile for the virtual
    partition.

    The order I do things (IIRC) is

    1. Define on the VIO profile a new virtual SCSI adapter

    2. On the virtual partition profile define an equivalent virtual SCSI
    adapter

    3. Take care to get your slot numbers correct with the above two
    steps.

    4. Dynamically add the virtual scsi adapter to the VIO server

    5. Run cfgmgr to pick up the the new vhost on the VIO server

    6. Use the mkvdev command to define a disk to the vhost (ie setup VTD
    from backing device so lsmap looks correct)

    7. Activate the virtual partition

    You do do need to reboot the VIOS unless in normal circumstances.

    When you do come to reboot the VIOS for maintenance its worth making
    sure you have a adequately high number of virtual adapters set if you
    havent already, we set ours to 100 - I think the default is 10 but may
    be wrong. If you run of of virtrual adapters you cant create more
    virtual scsi or ethernet and need to reboot the VIOS to increase the
    max virtual adapters.

    Also, and this is up to you, we give some meaningful names to our VTD
    devices, eg something like the hostname of the virtual partition plus
    the VG the disk will go in,
    eg
    VTD may be called _rootvg

    Hope this helps a bit.