etherchannel - again - Aix

This is a discussion on etherchannel - again - Aix ; Hello, For the past few years I have been creating etherchannel devices which I have been assuming to be configured correctly. However, after reading an article recently I am now doubting this. I normally create an etherchannel by using smitty ...

  1. etherchannel - again

    Hello,

    For the past few years I have been creating etherchannel devices which
    I have been assuming to be configured correctly. However, after
    reading an article recently I am now doubting this.
    I normally create an etherchannel by using smitty etherchannel only
    and by not performing any switch port configuration changes. I select
    mode=standard and hash mode=default but I believe I should in fact be
    selecting 8023ad mode if I am not going to make switch port changes?
    If I do not want to involve the network personnal in an etherchannel
    creation is it absoluteley necessary to choose 8023ad rather than
    standard. By selecting the mode=standard is it then necessary to
    configure the switch ports to enable etherchannel?

    Thanks for any reply.

  2. Re: etherchannel - again

    On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 20:15:41 -0700, mcnicholas wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > For the past few years I have been creating etherchannel devices which I
    > have been assuming to be configured correctly. However, after reading an
    > article recently I am now doubting this. I normally create an etherchannel
    > by using smitty etherchannel only and by not performing any switch port
    > configuration changes. I select mode=standard and hash mode=default but I
    > believe I should in fact be selecting 8023ad mode if I am not going to
    > make switch port changes? If I do not want to involve the network
    > personnal in an etherchannel creation is it absoluteley necessary to
    > choose 8023ad rather than standard. By selecting the mode=standard is it
    > then necessary to configure the switch ports to enable etherchannel?
    >
    > Thanks for any reply.

    I can't answer for all combinations of switches and cards, but creating an
    Etherchannel configuration in "standard" mode required switch port
    re-configuration to force a channel mode. On our Cisco switches, the
    "8023ad" mode also requires some port re-configuration to enable the LACP
    and define the trunk/channel.

    -Chris

  3. Re: etherchannel - again

    > standard. By selecting the mode=standard is it then necessary to
    > configure the switch ports to enable etherchannel?
    >
    > Thanks for any reply.

    I have hp switches and i have to do some port configuration.
    The simples method to check if it works your way is to ping the
    machine (with etherchanel) from other machine. Meantime disconnect one
    of cable. If there is no interrupt in ping, then it works.
    You should chech if you have doble bandwith also.

    regards

+ Reply to Thread