2 port 4GB FC Adapter vs. Virtualization - Aix

This is a discussion on 2 port 4GB FC Adapter vs. Virtualization - Aix ; Hi all, Can I put one port of #1910 2 port 4GB FC Adapter in one Vitual Partition and second port in other ? By the way what about integrated 2 port Ethernet adatoer, the same rule apply ? Regards ...

  1. 2 port 4GB FC Adapter vs. Virtualization

    Hi all,

    Can I put one port of #1910 2 port 4GB FC Adapter in one Vitual Partition
    and second port in other ?

    By the way what about integrated 2 port Ethernet adatoer, the same rule
    apply ?

    Regards
    Stanley

  2. Re: 2 port 4GB FC Adapter vs. Virtualization

    On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 17:15:54 +0100, Stanislaw Zakrzewski wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > Can I put one port of #1910 2 port 4GB FC Adapter in one Vitual Partition
    > and second port in other ?
    >
    > By the way what about integrated 2 port Ethernet adatoer, the same rule
    > apply ?
    >
    > Regards
    > Stanley

    Sorry... The PCI slot or built-in adapter is the lowest level you can
    assign to an individual LPAR. Thus, your 2-port fibre channel, 2-port
    Ethernet, 2-port SCSI, or 2-port serial card would provide both of their
    ports to a single LPAR...

    However, if you have the resources available to allocate and run virtual
    I/O servers, you could have the VIO server own those cards and only route
    traffic from specific LPARs to those ports...

    -Chris

  3. Re: 2 port 4GB FC Adapter vs. Virtualization

    On Jul 18, 12:15 pm, "Stanislaw Zakrzewski"
    wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Can I put one port of #1910 2 port 4GB FC Adapter in one Vitual Partition
    > and second port in other ?
    >
    > By the way what about integrated 2 port Ethernet adatoer, the same rule
    > apply ?
    >
    > Regards
    > Stanley

    I think you mean Logical Partition, in which case no. It's by adapter
    slot, so one adapter (even with multiple ports) can only be assigned
    to one LPAR.

    If you are referring to VIO, then no. You don't virtualize disks at
    the adapter layer, you virtualize at the LV or PV layer. For Virtual
    Ethernet you can have many virtual nics per physical nic.

  4. Re: 2 port 4GB FC Adapter vs. Virtualization

    On 18 Jul, 17:15, "Stanislaw Zakrzewski" wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Can I put one port of #1910 2 port 4GB FC Adapter in one Vitual Partition
    > and second port in other ?
    >
    > By the way what about integrated 2 port Ethernet adatoer, the same rule
    > apply ?
    >
    > Regards
    > Stanley

    Hi,

    No you cant as its just one PCI card and you allocate PCI cards to
    each partition not the ports on them.

    Regards,
    Scott

  5. Re: 2 port 4GB FC Adapter vs. Virtualization

    On Jul 18, 9:15 am, "Stanislaw Zakrzewski"
    wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Can I put one port of #1910 2 port 4GB FC Adapter in one Vitual Partition
    > and second port in other ?
    >
    > By the way what about integrated 2 port Ethernet adatoer, the same rule
    > apply ?

    No. Unfortunately, resources AFAIK can only be allocated on a per-
    slot basis, not per port.

    Wil

  6. Re: 2 port 4GB FC Adapter vs. Virtualization

    >> By the way what about integrated 2 port Ethernet adatoer, the same rule
    >> apply ?

    > No. Unfortunately, resources AFAIK can only be allocated on a per-
    > slot basis, not per port.
    >
    > Wil

    Thanks everyone.

+ Reply to Thread