Organising NIM resources - Aix

This is a discussion on Organising NIM resources - Aix ; Hello I'm currently have a successful NIM strategy, but recently some cracks have appeared which I need to address as I'm not so sure my understanding is correct. I have a NIM master. It installs two types of client AS ...

  1. Organising NIM resources

    Hello

    I'm currently have a successful NIM strategy, but recently some cracks
    have appeared which I need to address as I'm not so sure my
    understanding is correct.

    I have a NIM master. It installs two types of client AS and DB. They
    are both AIX 5.3 TL04 so I have created a TL04 lpp_source and equiv
    SPOT. I did this simply by hand copying the contents of the AIX
    (5.3ML04) CDsx8 (/usr/sys/inst.images dir)+ update CDs + Toolbax CD
    into /export/lpp_source and /export/lpp_source/RPMS/ppc/
    I then copied into the same lpp_source dir a set of additional bffs
    which are required by our application software, some additional device
    filesets (tape drive) and compiler bffs, xlC v8 and GPFS.
    Having created the SPOT5304 I've defined bundles identifying the
    additional filesets required on each server type.
    To allow for the custom build of each server type, I created bos_inst
    resources identifying the constistent SPOT and the relevent bundles,
    (DB_bundle or AS_bundle.)
    I also have some specific filesets containing our own applications,
    these are applied by post install scripts, calling installp.

    I'm not comfortable though with the loading up of additional filesets
    into the TL04 lpp_source. Should I be creating a standalone lpp_source
    for just the custom packages? If this is the case, what should I be
    doing to specify that the bundles should find their filesets in the
    alternative lpp_source? Should I be applying the custom filesets from
    the post install script with installp?

    In fact, when you define a bundle, the location of the content
    filesets is not specified.(no lpp_source parameter). When using a
    bundle, in a bos_inst, what is the assumption of the location of the
    bundles filesets?

    I'm concerned as I recently installed an identical nim server with the
    exact lpp_source, (all the bffs were copied in from tape), and the
    SPOT build failed. with missing requisites. After investigation the
    only significant difference between the environments was the ordering
    of the toc file. Having sorted and diff'd the tocs from my working and
    the failing server, they were identical in content, only in a
    different order. I then md5sum'd the bffs and they were identical. As
    a last resort I copied onto the failing server my working toc. Hey
    presto! the SPOT built with 370 packages, as opposed to 61when the
    missing reqs were identified.
    I'm concerned that I may be overwriting base filesets with updates or
    that I'm not "managing" thelpp_source correctly.

    I'd appreciate any explanation, advice or recommendation. How does
    everyone else do it?

    I've done a lot of reading, but a lot of the documentation is command
    based. I couldn't find much relating to best practice or scenario
    descriptions.

    Rob

  2. Re: Organising NIM resources

    On Jul 16, 8:45 pm, openstream rob wrote:
    > Hello
    >
    > I'm currently have a successful NIM strategy, but recently some cracks
    > have appeared which I need to address as I'm not so sure my
    > understanding is correct.

    My best practise is to have different base and application lpp sources
    and hardlink the filesets together which of cource means because of
    NFS restriction that these fileset has tobe withhin the same
    filesystem.

    Example:
    The following lpp sourcen does contain the base filesets
    /aix53base # AIX 5.3 incl. TL3 Base fileset
    /aix53tl4 # AIX 5.3 TL 4
    /aux53tl5
    /xlf10 # AIX Fortran Compiler

    Now all packages ( RPMS/ISMP & LPP ) are hardlinked into

    /sw4aix53

    ( BTW: keep the directory structure beforehand - ./installp/ppc ./
    RPMS/ppc ... ) running inutoc and lppmgr afterwards.

    Thus i keep the base fileset clean and can recreate any lpp source and
    spot right away.

    A tip:
    Use ONLY gencopy to copy AIX packages.

    hth
    Hajo

  3. Re: Organising NIM resources

    openstream rob wrote:

    > I'm concerned as I recently installed an identical nim server with the
    > exact lpp_source, (all the bffs were copied in from tape), and the
    > SPOT build failed. with missing requisites. After investigation the
    > only significant difference between the environments was the ordering
    > of the toc file. Having sorted and diff'd the tocs from my working and
    > the failing server, they were identical in content, only in a
    > different order. I then md5sum'd the bffs and they were identical. As
    > a last resort I copied onto the failing server my working toc. Hey
    > presto! the SPOT built with 370 packages, as opposed to 61when the
    > missing reqs were identified.
    > I'm concerned that I may be overwriting base filesets with updates or
    > that I'm not "managing" thelpp_source correctly.

    You should use gencopy to copy updates/filesets to your lppsource
    (or smitty gencopy). Then nothing will be overwritten. Next you
    should take a look at the lppmgr command (/usr/lib/instl/lppmgr).
    This will cleanup your lppsource (installp seems to take the first
    matching fileset found in .tok, if this is an update but you need
    the install image ...:-( lppmgr will (re)move all unnecessary stuff.

  4. Re: Organising NIM resources

    Hajo, Thomas

    Thanks for your response. Hajo, I've reworked my environment and
    everything is clear. The gencopy you've both suggested is now being
    used to build the env. lppmgr is exactly what was needed to perform
    the clearup. I've reduced the fileset count from 2500 to 400, just by
    removing superceeded filesets.
    By linking the filesets to an uber lpp_source directory structure,
    updating was easy. I've already easily upgraded from the trial version
    of lxc to a licensed copy, with no problems.

    I need to repeat my tests on the server that caused me the initial
    problems, but I suspect all will be okay. I'll feedback later.

    Thanks again

    Rob

+ Reply to Thread