AIX and virtual scsi - Aix

This is a discussion on AIX and virtual scsi - Aix ; Hello, I'm trying to build an AIX lpar from tape. The source lpar has physical network and scsi adapters. My new lpar has virtual scsi but physical network adapters. When I boot from tape I get a message saying that ...

  1. AIX and virtual scsi

    Hello,

    I'm trying to build an AIX lpar from tape.

    The source lpar has physical network and scsi adapters.

    My new lpar has virtual scsi but physical network adapters.

    When I boot from tape I get a message saying that there are no disk
    available.

    When I run lsdev from maintenance shell I don't see and hdisk entries
    and I'm expecting to see two of them.

    The HMC config shows that my client and server scsi adapters are
    correct with matching slot numbers.

    Any ideas what the issue might be here?

    Thanks

    Glenn

  2. Re: AIX and virtual scsi

    robinsguk@googlemail.com wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm trying to build an AIX lpar from tape.
    >
    > The source lpar has physical network and scsi adapters.
    >
    > My new lpar has virtual scsi but physical network adapters.
    >
    > When I boot from tape I get a message saying that there are no disk
    > available.
    >
    > When I run lsdev from maintenance shell I don't see and hdisk entries
    > and I'm expecting to see two of them.
    >
    > The HMC config shows that my client and server scsi adapters are
    > correct with matching slot numbers.
    >
    > Any ideas what the issue might be here?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Glenn

    Do you have a VIO server? I am assuming "yes" since you have client and
    server virtual scsi adapters. If not, I am curious how you have server
    virtual scsi adapters in the first place, but I digress.

    If the above is yes, then you need to either a) provide a logical volume
    to your client lpar from your VIO server via the "mkvdev" command via
    your "padmin" account (not recommended by me) or b) provide an entire
    physical volume with the same command (I like). After you have provided
    storage to your client, you will then see an hdisk device. I don't want
    to get too drawn out here, since I want to see where you are in this
    process.

  3. Re: AIX and virtual scsi

    On Jul 16, 11:42 pm, 0xdeadabe wrote:
    > robins...@googlemail.com wrote:
    > > Hello,

    > > I'm trying to build an AIX lpar from tape.

    > > The source lpar has physical network and scsi adapters.

    > > My new lpar has virtual scsi but physical network adapters.

    > > When I boot from tape I get a message saying that there are no disk
    > > available.

    > > When I run lsdev from maintenance shell I don't see and hdisk entries
    > > and I'm expecting to see two of them.

    > > The HMC config shows that my client and server scsi adapters are
    > > correct with matching slot numbers.

    > > Any ideas what the issue might be here?

    > > Thanks

    > > Glenn

    > Do you have a VIO server? I am assuming "yes" since you have client and
    > server virtual scsi adapters. If not, I am curious how you have server
    > virtual scsi adapters in the first place, but I digress.
    >
    > If the above is yes, then you need to either a) provide a logical volume
    > to your client lpar from your VIO server via the "mkvdev" command via
    > your "padmin" account (not recommended by me) or b) provide an entire
    > physical volume with the same command (I like). After you have provided
    > storage to your client, you will then see an hdisk device. I don't want
    > to get too drawn out here, since I want to see where you are in this
    > process.

    Kind of.

    My server SCSI is being provided by i5/OS as this is System i. The
    same principle as VIOS though.

    My concern here is that we are using a mksysb tape from another system
    rather than using the AIX cd's to install.

    I can see no evidence of any virtual devices/adapters so I was
    wondering if I need to boot from the AIX cd's to get the necessary
    virtual I/O driver support which may not be on the mksysb tape?????

    Any suggestions welcome.

    Glenn

  4. Re: AIX and virtual scsi

    On Jul 17, 2:58 am, robins...@googlemail.com wrote:
    > On Jul 16, 11:42 pm, 0xdeadabe wrote:
    >

    > > robins...@googlemail.com wrote:
    > > > Hello,

    > > > I'm trying to build an AIX lpar from tape.

    > > > The source lpar has physical network and scsi adapters.

    > > > My new lpar has virtual scsi but physical network adapters.

    > > > When I boot from tape I get a message saying that there are no disk
    > > > available.

    > > > When I run lsdev from maintenance shell I don't see and hdisk entries
    > > > and I'm expecting to see two of them.

    > > > The HMC config shows that my client and server scsi adapters are
    > > > correct with matching slot numbers.

    > > > Any ideas what the issue might be here?

    > > > Thanks

    > > > Glenn

    > > Do you have a VIO server? I am assuming "yes" since you have client and
    > > server virtual scsi adapters. If not, I am curious how you have server
    > > virtual scsi adapters in the first place, but I digress.

    > > If the above is yes, then you need to either a) provide a logical volume
    > > to your client lpar from your VIO server via the "mkvdev" command via
    > > your "padmin" account (not recommended by me) or b) provide an entire
    > > physical volume with the same command (I like). After you have provided
    > > storage to your client, you will then see an hdisk device. I don't want
    > > to get too drawn out here, since I want to see where you are in this
    > > process.

    > Kind of.
    >
    > My server SCSI is being provided by i5/OS as this is System i. The
    > same principle as VIOS though.
    >
    > My concern here is that we are using a mksysb tape from another system
    > rather than using the AIX cd's to install.
    >
    > I can see no evidence of any virtual devices/adapters so I was
    > wondering if I need to boot from the AIX cd's to get the necessary
    > virtual I/O driver support which may not be on the mksysb tape?????
    >
    > Any suggestions welcome.
    >
    > Glenn

    On the system the backup is taken from, I would expect these lpps to
    be installed:

    devices.vdevice.IBM.v-scsi-host.rte
    5.3.0.0 COMMITTED Virtual SCSI Server
    Adapter
    devices.vdevice.IBM.v-scsi.rte
    5.3.0.0 COMMITTED Virtual SCSI Client
    Support
    devices.vtdev.scsi.rte 5.3.0.0 COMMITTED Virtual SCSI Target
    Devices

    (vscsi is part of AIX 5.3, see AIX From Strength to Strength on
    ibm.com)

    Is it AIX 5.3 and are the filesets installed?

    Bernard Dhooghe

  5. Re: AIX and virtual scsi

    On Jul 17, 9:58 am, robins...@googlemail.com wrote:
    > On Jul 16, 11:42 pm, 0xdeadabe wrote:
    >

    > > robins...@googlemail.com wrote:
    > > > Hello,

    > > > I'm trying to build an AIX lpar from tape.

    > > > The source lpar has physical network and scsi adapters.

    > > > My new lpar has virtual scsi but physical network adapters.

    > > > When I boot from tape I get a message saying that there are no disk
    > > > available.

    > > > When I run lsdev from maintenance shell I don't see and hdisk entries
    > > > and I'm expecting to see two of them.

    > > > The HMC config shows that my client and server scsi adapters are
    > > > correct with matching slot numbers.

    > > > Any ideas what the issue might be here?

    > > > Thanks

    > > > Glenn

    > > Do you have a VIO server? I am assuming "yes" since you have client and
    > > server virtual scsi adapters. If not, I am curious how you have server
    > > virtual scsi adapters in the first place, but I digress.

    > > If the above is yes, then you need to either a) provide a logical volume
    > > to your client lpar from your VIO server via the "mkvdev" command via
    > > your "padmin" account (not recommended by me) or b) provide an entire
    > > physical volume with the same command (I like). After you have provided
    > > storage to your client, you will then see an hdisk device. I don't want
    > > to get too drawn out here, since I want to see where you are in this
    > > process.

    > Kind of.
    >
    > My server SCSI is being provided by i5/OS as this is System i. The
    > same principle as VIOS though.
    >
    > My concern here is that we are using a mksysb tape from another system
    > rather than using the AIX cd's to install.
    >
    > I can see no evidence of any virtual devices/adapters so I was
    > wondering if I need to boot from the AIX cd's to get the necessary
    > virtual I/O driver support which may not be on the mksysb tape?????
    >
    > Any suggestions welcome.
    >
    > Glenn- Hide quoted text -

    What OS version are you trying to install? Had a similiar problem
    recently. Had to use a 5207 lpp_source to install a 5206 mksysb as the
    5206 level did not have necessary drivers for scsi devices.

+ Reply to Thread