Determining reclaim memory amount on partitioned system - Aix

This is a discussion on Determining reclaim memory amount on partitioned system - Aix ; I'm looking for a good technique to determine the amount of possible memory I could reclaim from an existing partition in order to use that excess to built additional partitions. With all the available performance commands to list memory, and ...

  1. Determining reclaim memory amount on partitioned system

    I'm looking for a good technique to determine the amount of possible
    memory I could reclaim from an existing partition in order to use that
    excess to built additional partitions. With all the available
    performance commands to list memory, and knowing the way AIX uses
    memory for file system caching, I'm looking for an easy way to
    determine how much excess memory a system may have that I could
    possibly reclaim from that system(s).

    If it's just the fre amount from vmstat, or trying to use svmon along
    with the "numperm percentage" field from vmstat -v, I'm trying to come
    up with the best and correct way to say that we can take this much
    physical RAM away from that partition and still have it function
    correctly without getting pages in from paging space.

    I'd like to hear your suggestions and techniques for comming up with
    this figure. I thank you for your time in reviewing this question.

    Thanks - Ritchie

  2. Re: Determining reclaim memory amount on partitioned system

    On Jul 13, 4:01 pm, ritchie_cl...@conseco.com wrote:
    > I'm looking for a good technique to determine the amount of possible
    > memory I could reclaim from an existing partition in order to use that
    > excess to built additional partitions. With all the available
    > performance commands to list memory, and knowing the way AIX uses
    > memory for file system caching, I'm looking for an easy way to
    > determine how much excess memory a system may have that I could
    > possibly reclaim from that system(s).
    >
    > If it's just the fre amount from vmstat, or trying to use svmon along
    > with the "numperm percentage" field from vmstat -v, I'm trying to come
    > up with the best and correct way to say that we can take this much
    > physical RAM away from that partition and still have it function
    > correctly without getting pages in from paging space.
    >
    > I'd like to hear your suggestions and techniques for comming up with
    > this figure. I thank you for your time in reviewing this question.
    >
    > Thanks - Ritchie

    I use the avm number from vmstat - multiply by 4096, then divide by
    1073741824 to get the amount used in Gigs. That shows you what's used
    in active pages, so leave yourself some room for overhead.

    Or, just take away a bit at a time and keep an eye on your paging
    stats.

+ Reply to Thread