tcpdump versus iptrace question - Aix

This is a discussion on tcpdump versus iptrace question - Aix ; I am trying to debug a connection issue between hostA and hostB. What is the best tool to use, tcpdump or iptrace? tia...

  1. tcpdump versus iptrace question

    I am trying to debug a connection issue between hostA and hostB. What
    is the best tool to use, tcpdump or iptrace?

    tia

  2. Re: tcpdump versus iptrace question

    On 12 Jul, 14:42, Mag wrote:
    > I am trying to debug a connection issue between hostA and hostB. What
    > is the best tool to use, tcpdump or iptrace?
    >
    > tia

    iptrace

  3. Re: tcpdump versus iptrace question

    On Jul 12, 9:42 am, Mag wrote:
    > I am trying to debug a connection issue between hostA and hostB. What
    > is the best tool to use, tcpdump or iptrace?
    >
    > tia

    I like tcpdump. I save the output to a file and view the file on my
    linux (or windows) box with ethereal/wireshark.

  4. Re: tcpdump versus iptrace question

    c00p writes:

    > On Jul 12, 9:42 am, Mag wrote:
    >> I am trying to debug a connection issue between hostA and hostB. What
    >> is the best tool to use, tcpdump or iptrace?
    >>
    >> tia

    > I like tcpdump. I save the output to a file and view the file on my
    > linux (or windows) box with ethereal/wireshark.

    Or you could either find an AIX Wireshark binary, or build it
    yourself ...

    I haven't built Ethereal on AIX in several years, but don't recall it
    as having being very difficult.

    --
    #include /* I don't speak for IBM ... */
    /* Heck, I don't even speak for myself */

  5. Re: tcpdump versus iptrace question

    On Jul 12, 9:35 pm, lath...@us.ibm.com (Richard D. Latham) wrote:
    > c00p writes:
    > > On Jul 12, 9:42 am, Mag wrote:
    > >> I am trying to debug a connection issue between hostA and hostB. What
    > >> is the best tool to use, tcpdump or iptrace?

    > >> tia

    > > I like tcpdump. I save the output to a file and view the file on my
    > > linux (or windows) box with ethereal/wireshark.

    > Or you could either find an AIX Wireshark binary, or build it
    > yourself ...
    >
    > I haven't built Ethereal on AIX in several years, but don't recall it
    > as having being very difficult.
    >
    > --
    > #include /* I don't speak for IBM ... */
    > /* Heck, I don't even speak for myself */
    > /* Don't believe me ? Ask my wife :-) */
    > Richard D. Latham lath...@us.ibm.com

    Thanks for the replies.

    Is there a good howto to use tcpdump on AIX? I am trying to capture
    all NFS packets from one server to another and troubleshoot a NFS
    failure.

    thanks
    Naresh

  6. Re: tcpdump versus iptrace question

    On Jul 13, 4:29 am, Mag wrote:
    > On Jul 12, 9:35 pm, lath...@us.ibm.com (Richard D. Latham) wrote:
    >

    > > c00p writes:

    > > > I like tcpdump. I save the output to a file and view the file on my
    > > > linux (or windows) box with ethereal/wireshark.

    > > Or you could either find an AIX Wireshark binary, or build it
    > > yourself ...

    > > I haven't built Ethereal on AIX in several years, but don't recall it
    > > as having being very difficult.

    > > --
    > > #include /* I don't speak for IBM ... */
    > > /* Heck, I don't even speak for myself */
    > > /* Don't believe me ? Ask my wife :-) */
    > > Richard D. Latham lath...@us.ibm.com

    > Thanks for the replies.
    >
    > Is there a good howto to use tcpdump on AIX? I am trying to capture
    > all NFS packets from one server to another and troubleshoot a NFS
    > failure.
    >
    > thanks
    > Naresh- Hide quoted text -

    FWIW
    I have EtherReal (now WireShark) installed on my PC...
    I use IPTRACE on AIX to capture the information, then FTP it
    to my PC for display in EtherReal.

    Regarding HOWTO:
    iptrace -a -b -s source_host -d dest_host my_capture_filename

    Assuming I am capturing on source_host, the above command will capture
    all interactions between source_host and dest_host...
    If you want to limit the capture to just a single PORT, then add "-p
    portnbr" to the command
    line. For example to capure only http network traffic:
    iptrace -a -p 80 my_http_capture_file

    -tony

+ Reply to Thread