pSeries 615 options? - Aix

This is a discussion on pSeries 615 options? - Aix ; Hi. We currently have a pSeries 615 which is used for porting our Solaris applications to AIX. At the moment it's running AIX 5L 5.1, but we're looking at upgrading to 5.2. The server is a one-way configuration with 1GB ...

  1. pSeries 615 options?

    Hi.

    We currently have a pSeries 615 which is used for porting our Solaris
    applications to AIX. At the moment it's running AIX 5L 5.1, but we're
    looking at upgrading to 5.2.

    The server is a one-way configuration with 1GB RAM and 3 x 36GB disks.
    We are looking at upgrading the RAM to 4GB and maybe adding more disks.

    I know that this is a very lowend (and now quite old) box, but it's
    pretty underused at the moment.

    Are there any virtualisation options available that will work on the
    615? Ideally, I'd like the ability to run multiple versions of AIX -
    5.2 and 5.3, perhaps even AIX 6 beta. Is this possible?

    If running different versions of the OS isn't possible, then are there
    any methods of running multiple versions of the same OS (similar to
    Solaris Containers)? This would enable us to have separate dev and test
    environments.

    I'm afraid my AIX knowledge is still quite limited and all this talk of
    LPARS and Virtualization Engine is fairly confusing.

    Thanks for any help.

    JR

  2. Re: pSeries 615 options?

    On Jul 12, 10:30 am, JR wrote:
    > Hi.
    >
    > We currently have a pSeries 615 which is used for porting our
    > Solaris applications to AIX. At the moment it's running AIX 5L > 5.1, but we're looking at upgrading to 5.2.

    IMHO you should go straight to AIX 5.3

    > Are there any virtualisation options available that will work on
    > the 615?

    No

    > Ideally, I'd like the ability to run multiple versions of AIX -
    > 5.2 and 5.3, perhaps even AIX 6 beta. Is this possible?

    If installed on different disk - yes. Its something like multiboot

    > If running different versions of the OS isn't possible, then are
    > there any methods of running multiple versions of the same OS
    > (similar to> Solaris Containers)?

    AFAIK AIX will having something like containers starting with AIX 6
    and Power6 Hardware.

    > This would enable us to have separate dev and test environments.

    > I'm afraid my AIX knowledge is still quite limited and all this

    I would go for AIX 5.3 and getting a second p615 so you can seperate
    Dev. and Pro. Environment and you do not have to worry about
    micropartitiong, LPARS, HMC and other stuff.

    This solution is cheap and easy to handle.

    Since you are a ISV you can get access to a AIX login provide by no
    cost from IBM or you can get access to a AIX 5.3 development machine
    provided by my company starting the end of August for about 150 Euro/
    Month

    hth
    Hajo

  3. Re: pSeries 615 options?

    Hajo Ehlers wrote:
    >>If running different versions of the OS isn't possible, then are
    >>there any methods of running multiple versions of the same OS
    >>(similar to> Solaris Containers)?

    > AFAIK AIX will having something like containers starting with AIX 6
    > and Power6 Hardware.

    They are called Workload Partitions (WPARs) in AIX v6.1.
    Using a WPAR does not require Power6 hardware.

    http://www-03.ibm.com/servers/aix/6/preview.html
    http://www-306.ibm.com/common/ssi/re...ENUS207109.PDF

    Paul Landay

  4. Re: pSeries 615 options?

    Thank you Hajo and Paul for your quick and helpful replies!

    JR

+ Reply to Thread