HMC connectivity with set of p570's and p590's - Aix

This is a discussion on HMC connectivity with set of p570's and p590's - Aix ; Can some one share the connectivity of a set of p570's and p590 using 2 HMC. We have 2 HMC's for the reduntant purpose. Ideally both the HMC should be able to see all the p570's as well as the ...

  1. HMC connectivity with set of p570's and p590's

    Can some one share the connectivity of a set of p570's and p590 using
    2 HMC. We have 2 HMC's for the reduntant purpose.

    Ideally both the HMC should be able to see all the p570's as well as
    the p590's .

    The SP1 and SP2 are on a Private VLAN connected to different
    switches , but it seems that we are not able to see all the servers
    connected . From the 2nd HMC , nothing can be seen.

    Are there any rules to be adhered to for connecting and are there any
    best ways to trouble shoot

    Thanks for the help
    Rgrds

  2. Re: HMC connectivity with set of p570's and p590's

    On Jul 11, 9:11 pm, rcee <4mystud...@gmail.com> wrote:
    > Can some one share the connectivity of a set of p570's and p590 using
    > 2 HMC. We have 2 HMC's for the reduntant purpose.
    >
    > Ideally both the HMC should be able to see all the p570's as well as
    > the p590's .
    >
    > The SP1 and SP2 are on a Private VLAN connected to different
    > switches , but it seems that we are not able to see all the servers
    > connected . From the 2nd HMC , nothing can be seen.
    >
    > Are there any rules to be adhered to for connecting and are there any
    > best ways to trouble shoot
    >
    > Thanks for the help
    > Rgrds

    This is from IBM Redbook "IBM System p5 Approaches to 24x7
    Availability Including AIX 5L" (SG24-7196-00), p. 366.

    The network environment is setup with three different VLANs:
    1. An open Ethernet network is used for connections to the LPARs and
    for
    remote access to the HMCs.
    2. A private VLAN is used to connect the first HMC (named hmc570) to
    the
    HMC1 port of the p5-570 service processor. The first HMC is configured
    as a
    DHCP server on this VLAN, with the address range 192.168.0.2 to
    192.168.255.254.
    3. A second private VLAN is installed for connecting the second HMC
    (hmcp570bk) to port HMC2 on the service processor. During this
    scenario,
    the second HMC will be configured as a DHCP server for the IP range
    172.16.0.3 to 172.16.255.254.

+ Reply to Thread