AIX 5.3 TL05 - Aix

This is a discussion on AIX 5.3 TL05 - Aix ; We've been seeing some very weird behaviors on our AIX 5.3 farms. Basically, recently we deployed AIXpert with the high security template to a subset of our LPARS (general environment is virtualized LPARS running through redundant VIO server). Since the, ...

  1. AIX 5.3 TL05

    We've been seeing some very weird behaviors on our AIX 5.3 farms.
    Basically, recently we deployed AIXpert with the high security
    template to a subset of our LPARS (general environment is virtualized
    LPARS running through redundant VIO server). Since the, we've had a
    few LPARs "lock up." Basically, the LPARs will respond to a ping, but
    no network ports are open (checked externally by nmap) and a vtterm
    from the HMC never displays a console screen.

    Errpt shows no errors, no syslog entries are generated to an external
    syslog server... nothing. After we applied the template, all of our
    standard platform test cases succeeded.

    Any thoughts? We have no opened a problem yet, but most likely will
    the next time it occurs.

    Thanks in advance.
    MD

  2. Re: AIX 5.3 TL05

    On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 18:54:56 +0000, technewsgroup wrote:

    > We've been seeing some very weird behaviors on our AIX 5.3 farms.
    > Basically, recently we deployed AIXpert with the high security template to
    > a subset of our LPARS (general environment is virtualized LPARS running
    > through redundant VIO server). Since the, we've had a few LPARs "lock
    > up." Basically, the LPARs will respond to a ping, but no network ports
    > are open (checked externally by nmap) and a vtterm from the HMC never
    > displays a console screen.
    >
    > Errpt shows no errors, no syslog entries are generated to an external
    > syslog server... nothing. After we applied the template, all of our
    > standard platform test cases succeeded.
    >
    > Any thoughts? We have no opened a problem yet, but most likely will the
    > next time it occurs.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    > MD

    Two questions, if I may:

    1) What SP within TL5 are you running?

    2) If you force the LPAR to reboot, does it come back to life? Forever?
    Or, does it die again later?

    -Chris

  3. Re: AIX 5.3 TL05

    > 1) What SP within TL5 are you running?

    We are running base TL05 [5300-05] (no SPs have been installed since
    base TL05).

    > 2) If you force the LPAR to reboot, does it come back to life? Forever?
    > Or, does it die again later?

    If we do a non-graceful shutdown via the HMC and restart it, it comes
    back up normally. On each of the affected LPARs we've have not seen
    it occur any more than one time, and we've been unable to come up with
    any oddities between the LPARs. In fact, one of the LPARs that this
    occurred on was just running base AIX and was freshly installed.

    Following the aixpert command, we immediately reboot the LPAR.

+ Reply to Thread